Ultra wide SCSI + mystery DAT drive questions.

Ultra wide SCSI + mystery DAT drive questions.

Post by Robi Ka » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

 : I want to purchase some ultra wide SCSI card for my Linux system.  I
 : currently have kernel 2.0.13 and would rather not change this as it
 : works well.
 :
 : In the config it says that Adaptec 294x cards are supported but from
 : reading the groups here it seems that they may not be quite what I'm
 : after.  What is the equivalent BusLogic card and, does anyone know
 : where I can get one in Sydney, Australia?
 :
 : I also want to purchase an external DAT tape drive.  There is a sony
 : one around which is very expensive, around $1300 for 2Gb
 : uncompressed.  I've also been told about some mystery Taiwanese drive
 : that is about $400.  Does anyone have any opinions about these or does
 : anyone know if they will even work with my setup?  Alternatively, can
 : anyone recommend another external DAT drive please.

Hmmmmm, it seems that the "mystery" model they were talking about is
actually an Exabyte Travan.  Mystery indeed!  It's about 4Gb
uncompressed and is about $450 extrenal.

Still, any comments?

- Robi

--
Fluffy Spider Technologies                   Technology Consultants
email: robi(at)fluffyspider.com.au           Internet & Software

[...]

Thanks,

- Robi

--

Post by Steve Merrifie » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: after.  What is the equivalent BusLogic card and, does anyone know
: where I can get one in Sydney, Australia?

We've just ordered one of these for a Linux-based server

        BusLogic SCSI Host Adapter
        BT-948 PCI Ultra SCSI-2
        (MultiMaster "W" Series)

        For detailed product info see:
        http://www.buslogic.com/products/prodinfo/bt948.html

Get them from here:

>Please contact Ms. Aguswati Jusuf of Alfa Computer. Here are
>the details:
>Alfa Computers PTY Ltd.
>Tel: 61-2-9317-3344
>Fax: 61-2-9317-3859

> Alfa is located in Alexandria. Feel free to contact for further
>information.

>Best regards
>John Fuentes
>Mylex Corporation
>Tel: 510-608-2335
>Fax: 510-745-7521

Hope this helps,
sjm

Post by Robi Ka » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

 : after.  What is the equivalent BusLogic card and, does anyone know
 : where I can get one in Sydney, Australia?

Then Steve Merrifield followed up with:

 : We've just ordered one of these for a Linux-based server
 :
 :      BusLogic SCSI Host Adapter
 :      BT-948 PCI Ultra SCSI-2
 :      (MultiMaster "W" Series)

Thanks for this.  I'd just like to know what kernel you are using.

- Robi

--
Fluffy Spider Technologies                   Technology Consultants
email: robi(at)fluffyspider.com.au           Internet & Software

Ultra wide SCSI + mystery DAT drive questions.

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On 17 Jun 1997 15:39:42 +1000, Robi Karp

> : I also want to purchase an external DAT tape drive.  There is a sony
> : one around which is very expensive, around $1300 for 2Gb
> : uncompressed.  I've also been told about some mystery Taiwanese drive
> : that is about $400.  Does anyone have any opinions about these or does
> : anyone know if they will even work with my setup?  Alternatively, can
> : anyone recommend another external DAT drive please.

>Hmmmmm, it seems that the "mystery" model they were talking about is
>actually an Exabyte Travan.  Mystery indeed!  It's about 4Gb
>uncompressed and is about $450 extrenal.

In case it's not gratuitously obvious, "Travan == QIC", which means
that that is *not,* repeat *NOT* a DAT drive.  It may be a reasonable
alternative so long as you're willing to pay $40 per tape.

You should be able to find a DAT drive for on the order of $800 (and
here I'm presuming we're talking about US$ within the US; with a price
quoted for Travan 4GB of $450, that sounds like it should be the
correct situation).

Places like CDW (http://www.cdw.com) sometimes have refurbished units
for somewhat less than $800; I've gotten price quotes for HP DAT
drives from CompUSA (special order; they don't stock this) for
$800-$900.  You ought to be able to do better than CompUSA's prices,
but $1300 is most definitely worse than you need to pay.

If you look at the $1400 range, you should be able to get an 8MM tape
drive, which may be arguably better than DAT.  (Again, $1400 is a
price I was quoted at CompUSA.)

Good luck with your quest!
--

PGP Fingerprint: 10 5A 20 3C 39 5A D3 12  D9 54 26 22 FF 1F E9 16
Linux: When one country worth of OS developers just isn't enough...

1. AIX 4.3.1, IBM 6208 Fast Wide SCSI, Seagate Ultra Wide 9.1 Gb drive?

Hello list!!

I am a technician for a company called Procom Technology.  We are resellers
of hardrives and I am having a tough time with a tricky AIX problem.  If

as I am not on the mailing list.  The situation I have is that a customer
has bought  a Seagate ST19171W from my company with the guarantee that it
would work in their system (described above).  From what I can tell over
the phone (ESP) is that the SCSI controller is configured correctly in the
system and is functioning correctly.  However, contrary to my experience
(with other OSes) AIX detecting the SCSI card does not impy that the
hardrive will be detected.  I need to find out if it is possible to
configure a non-IBM signature drive in AIX?  If it is, how is it done.  All
customer is flipping out!).

Many Thanks!

Keehan Mallon
Procom Tech Support

2. System Commander w/ RedHat3.0 & NT4.0Server

3. Ultra-Wide SCSI on fast/wide SCSI 2 adapter

4. Apache and suexec

5. Performance Technologies Ultra Wide SCSI (ultra 2 SBUS) controller question

6. X11 release - How??

7. Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

8. TrueType fonts on 2.7?

9. SCSI, SCSI-2, Wide/Ultra, etc SCSI????

10. FS: Quantum 4.5 GB Ultra Wide Diff SCSI drives

11. Ultra Wide SCSI drives on AIX

12. Ultra Wide SCSI and Ultra IDE

13. Help: Ultra wide SCSI and Differential SCSI