Best CPU for Asus HX MoBo ?

Post by New Frontier Computer » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello people,

> I am thinking of upgrading my CPU on my P55T2P4 from a Cyrix 166+
> to one of the new Cyrix or AMD CPUs for Socket 7. What would you
> suggest ? The machine is (will be) a Linux + NT combo, used
> primarily for software development. The HDD system is SCSI.

> Thanks in advance,
> Arifi Koseoglu

============
The AMD233 would be a good choice... the 266 and the 300 require 2.2v
and I am pretty sure that board does not support it.

regards
mrdata  New Frontier Computers  http://www.nf-ny.com

Best CPU for Asus HX MoBo ?

Post by pit.. » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am thinking of upgrading my CPU on my P55T2P4 from a Cyrix 166+
>to one of the new Cyrix or AMD CPUs for Socket 7. What would you
>suggest ? The machine is (will be) a Linux + NT combo, used
>primarily for software development. The HDD system is SCSI.

Which revision of P55t2p4 do you have?  If you have 3.1, and not one of
the earlier ones, then you can put up to a Pentium 233MMX, or a K6-300MMX
I believe (check the ASUS site to verify this -- I've never seen a k6-300
on a p55t2p4).  Make sure you update the BIOS on the board to the latest
revision to support the newer processors.

The P55t2p4 is still one of the most capable Socket 7 motherboards out
there.  I own one, but unfortunately it is one of the older ones that does
not have the nice overclocking and ram caching features.

Best CPU for Asus HX MoBo ?

Post by mrdat » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> >I am thinking of upgrading my CPU on my P55T2P4 from a Cyrix 166+
> >to one of the new Cyrix or AMD CPUs for Socket 7. What would you
> >suggest ? The machine is (will be) a Linux + NT combo, used
> >primarily for software development. The HDD system is SCSI.

> Which revision of P55t2p4 do you have?  If you have 3.1, and not one of
> the earlier ones, then you can put up to a Pentium 233MMX, or a K6-300MMX
> I believe (check the ASUS site to verify this -- I've never seen a k6-300
> on a p55t2p4).  Make sure you update the BIOS on the board to the latest
> revision to support the newer processors.

> The P55t2p4 is still one of the most capable Socket 7 motherboards out
> there.  I own one, but unfortunately it is one of the older ones that does
> not have the nice overclocking and ram caching features.

=========
Check your voltages... AMD K6-266,300 requires 2.2V...
http://www.asus.com/products/specs/mb/P55T2P4-spec.asp

regards
mrdata  New Frontier Computers  http://www.nf-ny.com

1. HELP : Cyrix + ASUS HX + serial

 > I have trouble with a new motherboard (ASUS with chipset 430HX).
 > the system came with a 8x86 200+ (75/150 Mhz).

 > It seems like ttyS0 (and probably ttyS1, but I have not tested)
 > doesn't work : no mouse in X, nothing with od /dev/mouse...
 > I tested a Microsoft compatible mouse and a Logitech Mouseman.

 > On the other hand, Windows NT works well... And Linux itself is
 > OK.  X functions with the old Pentium 100 motherboard. Is there some
 > incompatibilities between Linux serial drivers and the hardware ?
 > Or has anybody found the same problem ?

What does the serial driver report when Linux boots? It should report
ttyS0 and ttyS1, their I/O base, their IRQ, and the UART type. If you
don't see such messages as you boot, either the serial ports are broken
or disabled, or you recompiled the kernel forgetting the serial driver.

It may be that you simply have to play with setserial. Sometimes a
16550A UART will cause mouse problems. Using setserial to tell Linux
that the UART is an 8250 or 16450 usually cures the problem.

2. static linknig of shared library in C/C++

3. New! Java Shareware Site..

4. Asus CUC-2000 mobo?

5. keyboard and mouse don't work with Xfree86 4.0

6. Asus K7M Mobo Sound vs. Alsa Driver

7. setitimer and lost signals using Solaris 2.1

8. RH9 and the Ethernet port of the Asus A7N8X-X mobo

9. ASUS SP97-V mobo on Kernel 2.4.6

10. sio timeouts on ASUS mobos?

11. built in audion Asus K7M mobo?

12. linux on a A7V133 Asus mobo