Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

Post by Tof » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:22:32

I am trying to install linux (Mandrake 8.0) on a PC (KT7-RAID motherboard)
as a second system for Windows 98. I am using two RAID mirrored disks for
various data and Linux / windows 98 resides on a separate ATA 66 disk on a
"normal" ide controler.
I can boot perfectly both systems, but the problem is that the two mirrored
FAT32 disks appeares as two separate normal disks under Linux and it's
possible to write independently on the two disks ... unsyncing the mirror.

I have a few questions about it :
1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't supporte
the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the Mandrake 8.0 kernel
?

2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows 98
(i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
compatible ?).

3) What is the VT82C686x bug ? Does it apply to the VT82C686A ship ? How can
it be solve ? Is there other well known bugs of Linux using the KT7-RAID
board ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and please send me a copy of your answers via

Post by Anthony DeRoberti » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 04:35:25

> I have a few questions about it :
> 1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't
> supporte the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the
> Mandrake 8.0 kernel ?

No. The fact that the drives show up at all means you already have HPT370
support.

Quote:

> 2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
> linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows
> 98 (i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
> compatible ?).

No idea how compatable or not they are, but I wouldn't bet my data on it.
But if you have a good backup, you can try setting it up.

I run software RAID on two drives connected to my HPT370 (same
motherboard, btw); but my box is Linux-only.

Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

Post by Tof » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:05:31

Thanks Anthony !
Others : Any more help is welcome !

> > I have a few questions about it :
> > 1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't
> > supporte the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the
> > Mandrake 8.0 kernel ?

> No. The fact that the drives show up at all means you already have HPT370
> support.

> > 2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
> > linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows
> > 98 (i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
> > compatible ?).

> No idea how compatable or not they are, but I wouldn't bet my data on it.
> But if you have a good backup, you can try setting it up.

> I run software RAID on two drives connected to my HPT370 (same
> motherboard, btw); but my box is Linux-only.

Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

Post by Tof » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:33:45

To those of you interested in the results of Linux Sofware mirroring 2
already existant VFAT mirrored (Under Win98) disks ....(Do you follow me ?)
.
That's seems to work perfectly !

I just had to declare my disks in the /etc/raidtab file, make a "mkraid
/dev/md0", and mount /dev/md0 to access my windows 98 partition correctly
... every new file is effectivlly mirrored on the 2 windows partitions under
Linux and reverse.

Well, there is no problem sharing a VFAT mirrored partition between Windows
98 (Using HPT370) and Linux (using "pure" software mirroring)!

> I am trying to install linux (Mandrake 8.0) on a PC (KT7-RAID motherboard)
> as a second system for Windows 98. I am using two RAID mirrored disks for
> various data and Linux / windows 98 resides on a separate ATA 66 disk on a
> "normal" ide controler.
> I can boot perfectly both systems, but the problem is that the two
mirrored
> FAT32 disks appeares as two separate normal disks under Linux and it's
> possible to write independently on the two disks ... unsyncing the mirror.

> I have a few questions about it :
> 1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't
supporte
> the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the Mandrake 8.0
kernel
> ?

> 2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
> linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows 98
> (i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
> compatible ?).

> 3) What is the VT82C686x bug ? Does it apply to the VT82C686A ship ? How
can
> it be solve ? Is there other well known bugs of Linux using the KT7-RAID
> board ?

> Thanks a lot for your help, and please send me a copy of your answers via

Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

Post by Pierre Trani » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:33:45

Hi,

> To those of you interested in the results of Linux Sofware mirroring 2
> already existant VFAT mirrored (Under Win98) disks ....(Do you follow me
?)
> .
> That's seems to work perfectly !

> I just had to declare my disks in the /etc/raidtab file, make a "mkraid
> /dev/md0", and mount /dev/md0 to access my windows 98 partition correctly
> ... every new file is effectivlly mirrored on the 2 windows partitions
under
> Linux and reverse.

> Well, there is no problem sharing a VFAT mirrored partition between
Windows
> 98 (Using HPT370) and Linux (using "pure" software mirroring)!

> > I am trying to install linux (Mandrake 8.0) on a PC (KT7-RAID
motherboard)
> > as a second system for Windows 98. I am using two RAID mirrored disks
for
> > various data and Linux / windows 98 resides on a separate ATA 66 disk on
> > "normal" ide controler.
> > I can boot perfectly both systems, but the problem is that the two
> mirrored
> > FAT32 disks appeares as two separate normal disks under Linux and it's
> > possible to write independently on the two disks ... unsyncing the
mirror.

> > I have a few questions about it :
> > 1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't
> supporte
> > the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the Mandrake 8.0
> kernel
> > ?

> > 2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
> > linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows
98
> > (i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
> > compatible ?).

> > 3) What is the VT82C686x bug ? Does it apply to the VT82C686A ship ? How
> can
> > it be solve ? Is there other well known bugs of Linux using the KT7-RAID
> > board ?

> > Thanks a lot for your help, and please send me a copy of your answers
via

Having same problem, but need to use basic HPT 370 drivers, instead of linux
soft mirroring (psychological, I agree, but is, as Guiness, "good for your
chest").

Any ideas ?

Yours

Pierre

Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

Post by Tof » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:22:20

They're isn't any HPT370 working driver for Linux as far as i know ...
Just a patch that permit to access the different disks without considering
RAID.

Post by Arnim Sauerbie » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:41:03

> it's possible to write independently on the two disks ... unsyncing the
> mirror.

This is interesting.  If linux sees the drives and filesystems, then It's
likely that the Highpoint isn't writing any special config info (at least
not in the partitions that linux sees)

Quote:> I have a few questions about it :
> 1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't
> supporte the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the Mandrake
> 8.0 kernel ?

AFAIK MDK 8.0 has a 2.4 kernel which has HPT370 support.

Quote:> 2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
> linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows 98
> (i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
> compatible ?).

Based on the fact that linux can see both drives, I THINK this would
work.  I don't know.  Highpoint doesn't publish documentation, and they
won't release any info to me.  If you don't have important data on the
drives, go ahead and try setting-up software RAID 1 and tell us how it went!

Quote:> 3) What is the VT82C686x bug ?

No idea.

------------------
My problem....

I have to restore a lost Highpoint 370 RAID 0 configuration (64k stripes).
My data is still on the drive, just the controller lost it's configuration.

The Highpoint BIOS doesn't have a function to setup the controller without
reformatting the drives.  This is brain-damaged, and could be easily
fixedby the Highpoint programmers.

But Highpoint Tech Support is stonewalling me, and won't put me in contact
with the developers.

If a RAID guru thinks they can help, please contact me at

arnims(at)yahoo(dot)com

arnim sauerbier

1. HPT370 RAID-1 or Software RAID-1, what's "best"?

What is "best" on Linux 2.4.X (with any appropriate patches) ?

HPT370 RAID-1 or Software RAID-1 ?

And if Software RAID-1 is best of these two, where is it most stable; on an
i815 chipset, a VIA chipset (686B) or on a promise controller?

I define "best" as:
* most stable
* least complex setup
* least hassle when something goes wrong

2. tuning 5.0.4

3. feasability - mirror ide + raid-5 scsi (sw raid)

4. Automatic Proxy

5. Public domain RAID-1 mirroring software available for linux?

6. Looking for PGP/PEM-enabled HTTPD/browser

7. Software RAID mirror on Solaris x86?

8. If someone read your files

9. Software Mirroring/RAID

10. Software RAID 1 - disks mirror but the secondary disk does not boot.

11. Software RAID - disk mirroring

12. Disk Mirroring without Software RAID?

13. disk striping, mirroring, software RAID