Getting Rid Of LILO

Post by Mike Nicho » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

  I've installed a new hard drive and put Red Hat on it.  I now wish to
try other operating systems, but a portion of LILO remains making it
impossible to reboot the system.  The drive has been reformatted using
Disk Druid, fdisk, and whatever esle I can get ahold of.  The drive is a
Western Digital 2.1 gig EIDE, if that makes a difference.

Getting Rid Of LILO

Post by Daniel Nibb » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

MS-DOS fdisk <drivename:> /mbr
this overrides the masterbootrecord where LILO is.

Quote:

Post by Mario Nogueir » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

>   I've installed a new hard drive and put Red Hat on it.  I now wish to
> try other operating systems, but a portion of LILO remains making it
> impossible to reboot the system.  The drive has been reformatted using
> Disk Druid, fdisk, and whatever esle I can get ahold of.  The drive is a
> Western Digital 2.1 gig EIDE, if that makes a difference.

Try "fdisk /MBR". This clears the Master Boot Record of the hard disk,
where Lilo installs istelf.

Getting Rid Of LILO

Post by Rolf Magnu » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

 >   I've installed a new hard drive and put Red Hat on it.  I now wish
 > try other operating systems, but a portion of LILO remains making it
 > impossible to reboot the system.  The drive has been reformatted
using
 > Disk Druid, fdisk, and whatever esle I can get ahold of.  The drive
is a
 > Western Digital 2.1 gig EIDE, if that makes a difference.

Why do you want to remove lilo if you want to try other OSs. The purpose
of lilo is to make you use other ones.