Intel Plato EIDE or Intel Plato/Adaptec 2940 SCSI?

Intel Plato EIDE or Intel Plato/Adaptec 2940 SCSI?

Post by Chris Eilbec » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 03:07:20

I am about to replace most of my PC and cannot decide whether to go
for EIDE or 2940 SCSI.  I want to buy a drive of around 1.6Gb and
was thinking about a Micropolis EIDE due to reported problems with
Linux and the Adaptec 2940.

The real issue here is performance and future proofing rather than
financial considerations.

Any comments?

Chris

Post by Natural Born Kill » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 10:02:27

==>I am about to replace most of my PC and cannot decide whether to go
==>for EIDE or 2940 SCSI.  I want to buy a drive of around 1.6Gb and
==>was thinking about a Micropolis EIDE due to reported problems with
==>Linux and the Adaptec 2940.

==>The real issue here is performance and future proofing rather than
==>financial considerations.

==>Any comments?

==>Chris

Hi,

        I'm a new 2940 user and just want to tell you that there's a
driver "aic7xxx" for adaptec series works. And personally, I think SCSI-2
will give a better performance than EIDE under Linux or other
multi-tasking OS.

-Wilson

Post by Robert Glov » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 15:59:04

: ==>I am about to replace most of my PC and cannot decide whether to go
: ==>for EIDE or 2940 SCSI.  I want to buy a drive of around 1.6Gb and
: ==>was thinking about a Micropolis EIDE due to reported problems with
: ==>Linux and the Adaptec 2940.

:       I'm a new 2940 user and just want to tell you that there's a
: driver "aic7xxx" for adaptec series works. And personally, I think SCSI-2
: will give a better performance than EIDE under Linux or other
: multi-tasking OS.

I agree that SCSI is far better than EIDE, especially since Linux doesn't
support EIDE yet.  I'm using a BusLogic 946c controller and it works well
too.

Rob

Intel Plato EIDE or Intel Plato/Adaptec 2940 SCSI?

Post by Kristian Bo » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 07:19:56

Quote:>I agree that SCSI is far better than EIDE, especially since Linux doesn't
>support EIDE yet.  I'm using a BusLogic 946c controller and it works well
>too.

Just to defend the EIDE a bit... The EIDE can outperform a SCSI by 4 X... It's
in the spec..  (somewhere...)..  I still like SCSI but I also like the EIDE..

CIao,

Kristian

---

Mitel Corp.  Kanata, Canada |no so 'normal' world...

Not speaking for Mitel....  |And no, I do NOT sell shotguns...

Post by Keith Smi » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 07:18:48

>>I agree that SCSI is far better than EIDE, especially since Linux doesn't
>>support EIDE yet.  I'm using a BusLogic 946c controller and it works well
>>too.

>Just to defend the EIDE a bit... The EIDE can outperform a SCSI by 4 X... It's
>in the spec..  (somewhere...)..  I still like SCSI but I also like the EIDE..

Don't compare apples to oranges.  EIDE does not outperform F&W SCSI I
don't think.  The comparison was to SCSI-I if I'm not mistaken.  Most
modern SCSI drives are 10MB/sec sync (SCSI-II Narrow).  EIDE overhead is
starting to approache SCSI though still not as high.  Goes with the
territory.  Max drives under XIDE is _STILL_ 2, one master one slave.
Have they solved the simultaneous access problems (Multiple requests
outstanding for different drives) yet?

Also don't forget most of your IDE controllers do not BUS Master.  This
means that your disk->memory transfers basically are done THRU the CPU.

Most all of these issues are moot if you aren't swamping the disk cable,
and most drives won't _sustain_ data rates much over 2MB/sec anyway.
It's nice to have some overhead though.
--

Digital Designs                                   (910) 423-4216/7389/7391
PO Box 85                                                   V.34/V.34/V.32

Post by Mark Lo » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 23:51:44

>Don't compare apples to oranges.  EIDE does not outperform F&W SCSI I
>don't think.  The comparison was to SCSI-I if I'm not mistaken.  Most

Speaking of apples and oranges..

The "current" and "cheap" ATA drives are all EIDE now.
The "current" and "cheap" SCSI drives are all SCSI2 now.

Quote:>modern SCSI drives are 10MB/sec sync (SCSI-II Narrow).  EIDE overhead is
>starting to approache SCSI though still not as high.  Goes with the

False.  EIDE "overhead" has not changed since ATA was invented.
The throughput has gotten much better, though.

Quote:>territory.  Max drives under XIDE is _STILL_ 2, one master one slave.

Wrong.  No max, but in practice the limit is two master, two slave.

Quote:>Have they solved the simultaneous access problems (Multiple requests
>outstanding for different drives) yet?

A long time ago, except for "CMD" interfaces.

Quote:>Most all of these issues are moot if you aren't swamping the disk cable,
>and most drives won't _sustain_ data rates much over 2MB/sec anyway.

Wrong again.  Most drives, ATA *and* SCSI, peak at around 5.5MB/sec from
the heads these days.
--

For the latest Linux kernel: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.2
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  linux-1.2.0/drivers/block/README.ide

1. EIDE or SCSI on Intel Plato Board ?

I plan to buy an Intel Premiere Plato mainboard as well as
some harddisk.

The german magazine c't (issue 12/94) says that the BIOS
for the NCR53810 SCSI host is (no longer) included in the
BIOS of that mainboard.
This lead me to the conclusion that investing in the NCR
53810 SCSI-host is probably no good decision. Vendors
keep telling me that it is not very stable with other OS
anyway. But I just don't want to buy some ISA card like
the Adaptec 1542 when there will be drivers for PCI-cards
in the future.

My decision was therefore to forget SCSI and buy me an
IBM DSAA 3540 EIDE disk (540 MB) and use Mark Lord's
patches. (the Plato board has an EIDE controller onboard)
Actually Mark Lord posted that enhanced IDE (PIO mode 3)
will only work correctly if the controller is configured
by jumpers instead by the BIOS. (The problem as I understood
it was that the BIOS sets PIO3 at boottime whereas Linux
can reset the device anytime and it can not gernerally be
said that this would again result in PIO mode 3.

This leads to the following questions:

* Is the NCR53810 supported in newer Plato Bioses?

* If it is, can I trust the NCR53810?

* If not, will EIDE on the Plato board using the onboard
  controller turn out to be a hit?

  * If not, which SCSI option would be best?

Thanks in advance,
Bernd

2. RS/6000 and Intel

3. Problem with NCR53c810 and Intel Plato Pentium MB

4. newbie networking help??

5. Intel Plato 32MB upgrade - cache OK?

6. * Power-PC-Amiga planned! *

7. Intel Plato P90 board and Linux

8. security primer

9. PS2 mouse on Intel Plato - how?

10. ASUS PCI-SC200 & Intel Plato

11. Howto activate second level cache on Intel plato board?

12. Intel Plato P54C/PCI Motherboard and PC Tech RZ1000 PCI chip interface

13. Intel Plato won't POST