MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video?

Post by Sam Ha » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:05:40

Hello - I'm considering setting up (one of) my Linux machines for dual-head
video. What is the recommended video hardware? Does distro matter? I see
that one of my options is the MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video card.
Does anyone have comments, positive or negative about this? Any better
alternatives? Thanks for your advice. - Sam Hahn

MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video?

Post by Joe Henle » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 07:32:07

Sam,

I'm running RH 7.1.  My G400 works fine in dual head mode.  Use the Matrox
drivers, not the XF86 ones (dl from Matrox web site).

Joe Henley

> Hello - I'm considering setting up (one of) my Linux machines for dual-head
> video. What is the recommended video hardware? Does distro matter? I see
> that one of my options is the MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video card.
> Does anyone have comments, positive or negative about this? Any better
> alternatives? Thanks for your advice. - Sam Hahn

MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video?

Post by Stanislav Koga » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:56:33

Hi!

> Hello - I'm considering setting up (one of) my Linux machines for dual-head
> video. What is the recommended video hardware? Does distro matter? I see
> that one of my options is the MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video card.
> Does anyone have comments, positive or negative about this? Any better
> alternatives? Thanks for your advice. - Sam Hahn

 From every point of view matrox G400 is the best videocard for Linux
today. The GeForce is hassle to configure and the twinview doesn't work
there anyway (I'm not sure about that).

I'm using G400MAX and am fully satisfied.

MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video?

Post by KW » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 05:58:18

Our G450's run great, and it is especially easy to setup...

1 get the drivers from matrox..
2 get the mgapdesk utlity from matrox
3 copy(install) the drivers to the folder listed in the readme
4 install mgapdesk
5 restart X
6 run mgapdesk to configure the second head video size. Save settings.
7 restart X
8 if the vertical refresh is wrong, reconfigure this in mgapdesk. Save
again

N-Joy....

One note about the vertical refresh.   On our secondary monitors,
mgapdesk set a range too high for my secondary monitor.  I had to
manually edit the XF864-Config and set the top end max so that the
Xserver didn't set that too high and consequently blank the monitor.

Post by Adam Wilhit » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 04:40:53

> Hello - I'm considering setting up (one of) my Linux machines for dual-head
> video. What is the recommended video hardware? Does distro matter? I see
> that one of my options is the MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video card.
> Does anyone have comments, positive or negative about this? Any better
> alternatives? Thanks for your advice. - Sam Hahn

I'm using a g400 with Rh.  Works fine, you can never go wrong with matrox

1. Q: two video cards ; dual-headed video ; matrox millenium and hercules ; linux ; work in progress

I've embarked on a quest (not for the weak of heart) to connect an old 19"
SGI CRT to my MGA Linux box. So far I've soldered the sync fusing circuit,
I've installed the RedHat 4.2 (no update to XFree86 3.3 yet). It works.
Image quality is more than adequate for my needs. Whew.

Trouble is: the system comes in text mode. I'm lucky enough to have a PLL
CRT which doesn't get fried that easily (but still the CRT would probably
die after suffering 1 h text), but I'll be seeing only snow should the
system stuck in text mode.

I haven't figured out how to flash the Millenium in text mode (and I have
the suspicion that it might not be easy). SVGATextMode doesn't help me a
bit if I have to deal with the system before it kicks in.

I went the way of the coward: the Hercules way. The Matrox Millenium has
two switches, one for flash write protection, one for switching off BIOS.
(System will hang otherwise). I switched off the BIOS, and plugged in a
Hercules card cum according monitor -- a poor man's dual-headed system.

This approach works great for Lose95: it boots up in text mode, then
jumps to the large screen when doing gfx.

Alas, XFree86 wimps out. It obviously does know the Hercules, but fails to
notice the MGA (lots of "***** deleted" messages). However, I thought
XFree86 can do dual-headed gfx, so there must be a trick to it.

Any ideas?

(Please CC my email address when replying to this message; once the
project is done I'll summarize to the list).

Thanks!

Eugene
 icbmto:N 48 10'07'' E 011 33'53''        http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~ui22204

2. Copy from tape to tape??

3. OT: Spelling and Grammar in E-mail

4. AAFonts with matrox G400 Dual Head

5. cgi-bin security

6. Matrox G400 MAX, dual head support under X?

7. FTP uploads

8. Matrox g400 Dual Head

9. XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

10. Dual head config for Matrox G400 Max?

11. Xfree86 4.0 and Matrox G400 Dual head

12. Matrox G400, X and dual heads?