adding a second soundcard and losing the first soundcard

adding a second soundcard and losing the first soundcard

Post by Joel Smit » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 23:59:57

i'm running redhat 8.0 with onboard sound via8233.  since via8233
doesn't work with alsa well or with the drivers that came with redhat
at all, i tried to add a second sound card.  after adding the card, kadzu
appeared and first said that multimedia controller via8233 had been
removed, then it said that the second card had been added.  i did not
remove the configuration for via8233 and added the configuration for
the second card.  a lspci listed that the new card was present but the
via8233 wasn't there.

i removed the new card and now have my machine back to where it was.
my question is how can i add the second card without losing the first
one.  what happened to the first card when i added the second?

Thanks.

1. Experiences with two soundcards in one machine ?

Hi,

I need to configure a system that can run two soundcards simultanously.
I only need the dsp device, and I'd like to use cheap cards. The
synthesizer part of the cards is completely uninteresting for me.

Does anybody have first hand experiences with a setup with two
soundcards ? The Sound HOWTO hints that this should be possible with
most cards, but isn't explicit. Any hints which cards would fit best ?

If I get any replies by email, I'd post a short summary in this group
later on.

Thanks in advance,

        Gregor

--
|                Gregor Hoffleit   Mathematisches Institut, Uni HD    |

|               (NeXTmail, MIME)   (49)6221 54-5771    fax  54-8312   |
|                  "We will make windows invisible"                   |

2. SEGV in signal functions.

3. Can I add a soundcard even if I have one built into the motherboard?

4. How to allow FTP with an ipchains firewall?

5. Problem with two soundcards

6. 43P-150 will not boot from CD

7. two soundcards

8. Help! @Home Cable not working on Linux

9. second question help with soundcard

10. Two soundcards

11. setup and test second soundcard on RH8.0

12. Two Soundcards, Simultaneous Output?

13. Two Soundcards...