Serial port -> TrippLite UPS

Post by Damian Mensche » Mon, 05 May 2003 12:59:18

I'm attempting to interface a TrippLite BC Pro 1400 UPS with a RH9
server for automated shutdowns in the event of a long power failure.
It is a "dumb" contact-closure UPS, so it shouldn't be too difficult.
TrippLite claims to have software that supports *nix, but it hasn't
worked for me under HP-UX, IRIX, or Linux.  So I'm giving up on them
and trying to modify the powerd software (power.sourceforge.net) to
work with my particular UPS.

I've got a schematic of the interface cable that provides some
guidance:  http://www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/73-0724.bmp

The place where I'm stuck now is that I can't seem to figure out
exactly how the interface is supposed to take place.  They
say pin 4 should supply V+, and pin 4 is DTR, so I tried setting
TIOCM_DTR high with an ioctl(fd,TIOCMSET,&bits) type of command.
But when I measure the voltage on the pin, I'm reading -11V.  So
I'm very confused.

Has anyone messed with this type of thing before?  I could really
use some help here....

Damian Menscher
--

-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-
-=#| 4602 Beckman, VMIL/MS, Imaging Technology Group:(217)244-3074 |#=-

Serial port -> TrippLite UPS

Post by Yeechang Le » Wed, 07 May 2003 04:06:11

> I'm attempting to interface a TrippLite BC Pro 1400 UPS with a RH9
> server for automated shutdowns in the event of a long power failure.

Why not just use NUT (<URL:http://www.exploits.org/nut/>)? Supports
everything, under regular development, and supports TrippLite as well
as generic dumb UPSs. I've happily used it with my Best Fortress 750
for almost two years.

ObHack: Needed to reach someone without current contact information
and a fairly common first and last name. I knew his former corporate
affiliation, so Googled and discovered that he was now on the board of
directors at two companies. Called one of them, asked for the
assistant to the Chairman, then asked for the guy's phone
number. Easy.

--

 12:01pm  up 7 days, 11:37, 13 users,  load average: 4.06, 3.83, 3.71
CPU states:  5.6% user,  0.3% system,  1.0% nice,  0.0% idle

Serial port -> TrippLite UPS

Post by Eli the Bearde » Wed, 07 May 2003 04:35:23

Quote:> ObHack: Needed to reach someone without current contact information
> and a fairly common first and last name. I knew his former corporate
> affiliation, so Googled and discovered that he was now on the board of

I've got a friend with a fairly unusual first and last name. (His
last name has a common pronounciation, but a very odd spelling.) When
I google for his name I get three responses (and a suggestion to try
the common spelling). Two of those are a enewsletter gossip rag from
his alma mater, the author of which is now in parts unknown. The third
includes an email address to a colleage and a phone number. The colleage
gave me his work schedule (he works in different buildings at different
times) but he's never there to answer the phone it seems. And for some
reason doctors don't seem to have voice mail.

Quote:>  12:01pm  up 7 days, 11:37, 13 users,  load average: 4.06, 3.83, 3.71
> 165 processes: 158 sleeping, 5 running, 1 zombie, 1 stopped
> CPU states:  5.6% user,  0.3% system,  1.0% nice,  0.0% idle

That's a pretty high load for such low user/system levels. And why
doesn't user+system+idle come close to 100%?

 12:12pm  up 51 days, 23:54, 36 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.08
215 processes: 201 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 13 stopped
CPU states:  0.9% user,  1.7% system,  0.0% nice, 97.2% idle

Mine adds up to 99.8, which I take to be due to rounding errors.

ObHack:
Many years ago I discovered that Macs do quite fine with multiple
ADB keyboards attached. This has few practical applications, but
one of them is playing multiplayer keyboard-controled games. PCs
were sorely disabled be comparision (this applied to multiple monitors
at the time, too).

Now, playing the same game that I played those years ago on a Mac, I've
found the solution is USB keyboards. I have a windows box with a USB
and a PS/2 keyboard and both work fine at once. I'd reckon two USB
keyboards would work, but I don't have two handy to try.

Elijah
------
yay MAME!

1. >>>INFO ON COMPATIBLE DIGIBOARD SERIAL PORTS NEEDED<<<

        I need to know what MODEL NUMBERS of Digiboard 8-port serial cards
are recommended for 14.4 (56K) modem operations with Linux. If there are
other recommended manufacturers of multi-port serial cards, then I'll be
interested in those as well.

        The Linux system will run a multi-line (four to begin with) BBS.
Much thanks for the help -- the local vendors were pretty much clueless
about multi-port serial cards.

        -Mark
--
"Key chuckles. 'If Skinny Puppy, in terms of the movie _Alien_, is a
chest-burster, then Doubting Thomas is more of a face-hugger,' he informs,

2. Slow internet conection

3. TrippLite UPS

4. Enlightenment/GNOME crashing

5. Redhat 4.2 and Tripplite UPS Infos here

6. FreeSWAN and Windows clients

7. tripplite UPS

8. Q: How to keep boot messages

9. TrippLite UPS control?

10. HELP with Tripplite BC600LAN UPS

11. Anybody interested in TrippLite UPS daemon?

12. UPS (Tripplite vs APC)

13. TrippLite UPS anyone?