HP 9150i (OS says 9100b) writing audio problems - technical

HP 9150i (OS says 9100b) writing audio problems - technical

Post by Thomas Vander Stichel » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:57:36

Hi,

I'm looking for people who bought a HP 9150i CD-writer and are using it under Linux.

I also have a HP 9100i which works perfectly under Linux.  The HP 9150i writes data CD's perfectly,
but it cannot write audio cd's, failing immediately in the burning process.

Here's what I found out up till now :

* The HP 9150i CD-writer shows up under Windows 98 (in Devices) and under Linux as a HP9100b
* For some reason, this is a totally different drive than the 9100i
* You can tell the difference between the two using the firmware :
        - 9100i drives have firmware revisions 1.0a/1.0b/1.0c
        - 9150i drives have firmware revisions 1.06/1.07/...
* There are at least three different hardware manufacturers used for the HP9150i (LG, Sony, and another one, if I recall correctly)
* The HP9150i will not work under Easy CD Creator, only with the included (and crap) MyCD software
        (which doesn't even seem to allow for a simulation burn !)
* Both drives (the real HP9100i and the new HP9150i which is labeled in the OS as HP9100b) say "CD Writer Plus 9100 series" on the front)
* Customer Support at HP tells me that the reason the HP9150i isn't working under Easy CD Creator is because of some new extensions to the
  cd-writing protocol.

So here's what I'd like to know :

* Is there anyone using a HP9150i under Linux ?
* Can you write data cd's with cdrecord ?
* Can you write audio cd's with cdrecord ?

* What would be the "protocol extensions" HP claims makes the drives different ?
* Why would HP make such a drastic change to the hardware (i.e. not making it fully scsi/mmr compatible) ?

I have a pretty good knowledge of Linux so you can make it as technical as you like.  Please reply to me privately as well as on the newsgroup.

Thomas Vander Stichele

<-*-                      -*->
Lover fair
We'll be looking sharp I swear
I want them all to stop and stare
When we take'em down

HP 9150i (OS says 9100b) writing audio problems - technical

Post by Michael Cree » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:49:14

Hi, I can write both data and audio CD's using my HP9150i burner. I use
xcdroast, which is basically a front-end for cdrecord. So, though I haven't
yet tried using cdrecord directly, I'm pretty sure it would work. FWIW,
have you obtained the latest versions of the relevant programs? You can get
the latest xcdroast at www.xcdroast.org