dvd on linux questions - hardware for it, tv out and other questions

Post by someon » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:39:16

Subject: questions related to watching DVDs under Linux (tv out, and lots of
others)
Date: Thursday, August 30, 2001 5:15 PM

Hi,
 I want buy a DVD ROM driver with either a good hardware decoder card or an
ATI Radeon for doing the DD decoding. I have a machine with an Intel 440BX
motherboard, 64 megs of RAM, a 350Mhz. PII, and an SiS6326 4megs VRAM with a
TV out. Now, I know that my current graphics card just does not cut it and I
will replace it with either the radeon or the hardware decodr card (somthing
like the Hollywood Plus from Sigma designs). I will be using an RH 7.1
platform, X 4.1.0, kernel 2.4.7, dual boot with win98SE, and mplayer to see
my DVD movies, and I want to take the TV out on my. I have the following
questions :

1. Is my machine good enough for watching DVD movies and give a good
experience on Linux (or Windows, for that matter)
2. How is the radeon DVD decoding performace compared to the hardware
decoder, and which is more price effective (keep in mind that the machine is
mostly going to be used for watching movies, not for playing quake 3).
3. How is the TV out performace of these cards compared to a dedicated DVD
player? Is is more acceptable, or is the picture fuzzy.

Thanks for your help.

1. Hardware question about VCD/DVD creation

I am a total newbie in this area. So be patient with my questions. I have
the following hardware :

1. A computer (kernel 2.4.10, soon to be 2.4.13) with a CD/RW drive that
works under Linux.
2. A television.
3. Bunch of CD-R's.

I wish to record some television broadcasts onto the CD's.

What additional hardware, etc. do I need ?

2. Disk Manager?

3. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

4. Qmail: make -> Error 111 line 125

5. bttv: Strange frame drop-outs during TV grabbing

6. Redhat v6.0 installation on AMD P6-II

7. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.

8. firewall problem/query

9. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions

10. A idiot question: Why linux is more security than others?

11. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

12. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

13. newbie question: can I read my DVD discs with linux default s/w ?