3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...

Post by Kristaps Lici » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

I would greatly appreciate any insights as to possible solutions to the
following problem: RedHat 6.0 installation would not recognize the EtherLink
ethernet card [model - 3C905C or "TORNADO" according to Vertex
classification] on my DELL PC even though the card's model appears to be
supported under the VERTEX family name. It seems that the module I should
use for this card is 3c59x.o which should detect io and irq automatically.
Nevertheless, it does not seem to work: 1) the RedHat 6.0 setup would not
find the ethernet card once I request it to use 3c59x.o module; 2) once
trying to load the module [install the ethernet card] from within LINUX I
also fail. Should I provide any options for this type of a card? What should
those be?

Meanwhile - Windows 98 do recognize this card and the card is fully
functional in W98. The details provided by Windows 98 regarding my ethernet
card are as follows:

EtherLink 10/100 PCI - (3C905C-TX)
    Interrupt level: 11
    I/O base: 1400
    Slot number: 1400
    Boot ROM: disabled
    Performance optimized for: Normal
    Data Rate: 10/100 Mbps support
    Media connector: Auto Select
    Device ID 9200
    I/O Port Range 1400h-147h
    Interrupt Request Level: 11

Thank you very much in advance!

Kristaps

Kristaps Licis
Finance Ph.D. Student - Isenberg School of Management
Research Associate - CISDM
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003
tel. (413) 545-3180; fax. (413) 577-1350

3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...

Post by Jason Harm » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:31:05 GMT, LhD Administrator

>> I would greatly appreciate any insights as to possible solutions to the
>> following problem: RedHat 6.0 installation would not recognize the
>EtherLink
>> ethernet card [model - 3C905C or "TORNADO" according to Vertex

>Could you provide messages and better description of what happens when you
>try to load the module manually?
>Also, have you tried cold-booting from Win98 into Linux, just to make sure?

I don't know exactly what error Kristaps is getting but I too have a
Dell PC with one of these cards. When I try to load the module, it
says that the device or resource is busy. If the driver is compiled
into the kernel, it says

"Delaying eth0 initialization"
"Bringing up network interface eth0"

I looked at /proc/pci and the card is there as an unknown card from
3com at the correct IRQ and I/O.
I did notice that the AGP video card was sharing the same IRQ, but
that's the only possible conflict I can see. Like Kristaps, mine works
fine in 98.

3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...

Post by Russ Johnso » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> "Delaying eth0 initialization"
> "Bringing up network interface eth0"
> I looked at /proc/pci and the card is there as an unknown card from
> 3com at the correct IRQ and I/O.

Try changing the slot the nic is plugged into. This helped a machine I was
working with.

Russ

3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...

Post by Torleiv Flatebo Ringe » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I was under the impression that there is no support for this card
under linux as of yet.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

wrote regarding Re: 3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...:

Quote:> > "Delaying eth0 initialization"
> > "Bringing up network interface eth0"
> > I looked at /proc/pci and the card is there as an unknown card from
> > 3com at the correct IRQ and I/O.
> Try changing the slot the nic is plugged into. This helped a machine I
was
> working with.
> Russ

3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...

Post by Jason Harm » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On 31 Aug 1999 22:08:08 GMT, Russ Johnson

>> "Delaying eth0 initialization"
>> "Bringing up network interface eth0"
>> I looked at /proc/pci and the card is there as an unknown card from
>> 3com at the correct IRQ and I/O.

>Try changing the slot the nic is plugged into. This helped a machine I was
>working with.

That worked! Changing the slot made the motherboard change the IRQ
from 11 (shared w/ video card) to 3, which was unused...I guess either
Linux or the driver was confused about the sharing IRQs, though it
shouldn't be.

Also, make sure you have the absolute latest drivers from
ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/3c59x.c I have v0.99L,
and it works. The latest stable kernel (2.2.12 at the moment) comes
with v0.99H...

3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...

Post by Bo » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

3c595-TX's are $25 or less on ebay, yahoo, etc.  Well worth the better
card and less agro.  Netgear is $25 are Staples and you can get the latest
driver from the netgear site.  3c509 is just old and not well behaved.  I
have seen plenty of problems described here that I think are caused by
the LOUSY autospeed sensing stuff on the 509.

Bob

> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:31:05 GMT, LhD Administrator

> >> I would greatly appreciate any insights as to possible solutions to the
> >> following problem: RedHat 6.0 installation would not recognize the
> >EtherLink
> >> ethernet card [model - 3C905C or "TORNADO" according to Vertex

> >Could you provide messages and better description of what happens when you
> >try to load the module manually?
> >Also, have you tried cold-booting from Win98 into Linux, just to make sure?

> I don't know exactly what error Kristaps is getting but I too have a
> Dell PC with one of these cards. When I try to load the module, it
> says that the device or resource is busy. If the driver is compiled
> into the kernel, it says

> "Delaying eth0 initialization"
> "Bringing up network interface eth0"

> I looked at /proc/pci and the card is there as an unknown card from
> 3com at the correct IRQ and I/O.
> I did notice that the AGP video card was sharing the same IRQ, but
> that's the only possible conflict I can see. Like Kristaps, mine works
> fine in 98.

1. 3Com ethernet card problem

I have a slight problem. I am running Redhat 6.1 (kernal 2.2.15 I
think). I am on a LAN hooked to an ISDN. I have installed a 3Com 3c509b.

Now here is the problem. I can ping myself. However, when I go to ping
the server the ping gets lost. I can watch the lights on the router and
tell that the server and router are both getting the ping and
responding. However, my system doesnt get the response. The only thing I

could come up with is that the IRQ as reported by Linux is different
than the IRQ reported by Windows. Also the I/O range is different. Is
there any way to change this without major ammounts of pain?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

2. TinyX Mouse trubble!

3. 3Com Ethernet Card Problem

4. Linux leaves detractors in the dust.

5. 3COM Ethernet Card Problem

6. tape backups

7. 3com ethernet card problem

8. Include files for XLC

9. 3Com ethernet card problems

10. multiple 3com ethernet-card problem

11. 3COM ethernet card and NE2000 ethernet card

12. 3com ethernet card driver problem