Probs w/ Cyrix+Cache+disk IO

Post by Hassan Iqbal H » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the
following problem:

I'm running linux on a Cyrix P166+ with 256 K of pipeline cache
builtin to the mother board.  When I turn on the cache using
BIOS settings, I get all sorts of disk IO problems -- this
trashed my last ext2 fs.  I've tryed a different HD, but i get
the same problems.  With the cache turned off -- everything
works without a glitch.

Also, win95/dos works fine with the cache on.  Interestingly,
as a side note, i was able to write to DOS partitions with no
problems with the cache on in linux.  However i didn't test
this out extensively so forget i mentioned it.

Here's my system (from the top of my head) :
PC Chips MB - triton chip set with 256K pipeline burst cache
builtin
Cyrix P166+
Sound Blaster 16
Zoom fax modem 14.4
540 MB Conner HD <- all linux - ext2 fs
80 MB Seagate HD <- boot drive/ win 95 fs
130 MB Seagate HD <-win 95 fs

Any help would be appreciated! Thanx in advance.

-HASSAN HUQ
 SMD 99, UVA

Probs w/ Cyrix+Cache+disk IO

Post by Mac A. Cod » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have the same problem with my system with a Cyrix 5x86 100 MHz
system:

I have a PCI/VL/ISA bus motherboard (UMC chipset) with integrated
EIDE/floppy controllers, serial ports, and parallel port.  It has
the AMI WinBIOS which supports and recognizes the Cyrix 5x86 100 MHz
processor that is installed.  I have 1.2 Mb and 1.44 Mb floppies and
16 Mb of RAM installed.  Here is the problem:

Under MSDOS 6.22/Windows 3.1 floppy reads and writes work okay.

Under Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0.0), floppy tars end up being
corrupted.  This happens especially when operating as root.  On
less-privaledged accounts, it isn't quite as bad (don't ask me why!).
When mounting MSDOS diskettes, reading and writing usually work
okay, though individual files are corrupted sometimes (always GIF
files).

Also (rarely), X-Windows crashes and won't restart without a
reboot.  Sometimes, even basic utilities such as "ls" cause a core
dump, again unresolvable without a reboot.

Is there a kernel conflict with the Cyrix 5x86 processor (I've heard
somewhere that this happens with some Cyrix processors - not all)?
Do I need to upgrade the kernel?

Is it a RAM problem (messed up binaries in the cache may be causing
this)?  I tried increasing the wait states via the BIOS configuration
but, the MSDOS XMS driver complained about bad RAM.  I didn't think
that increasing wait states would cause that problem.

Help in answering this problem would be greatly appreciated.  I want
to have total Linux bliss!  Other that these problems, my system
works quite well.

Mac

--
Mac A. Cody                 Voice/Fax: 972-437-1517

Richardson, TX 75080-3433   home page: http://www.dfw.net/~mcody

Probs w/ Cyrix+Cache+disk IO

Post by Peter F. Curr » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

>Hmmm, I have a 6x86 and I also noticed that if I enable the cache I got
>disk corruption when I had the CPU clock at full speed (CPU P150+, clock
>at 120MHz) The interesting thing is that it corrupted files that are
>normally only READ .... like vmlinuz. This would tell me that the file
>is probably not corrupted but the filesystem is hosed in such a way that
>it can not be read. I would boot up partially and then die with a CRC
>error. I reinstalled on that system and dropped the clock to 100MHz and
>have not had a problem since. Disabling cache seems to have fixed that
>problem before I dropped the clock but with the lower clock, I can
>enable cache with no problems at all.

>> I have the same problem with my system with a Cyrix 5x86 100 MHz
>> system:

>--
>When clones are outlawed, only outlaws will have clones.

>George Bonser

I was having a similar problem only in Winblows95, which
disappeared after I moved the CPU voltage setting on the
MB from 3.3V to 3.45V.  Apparently the chip can handle
a range up to 3.5, and this conservative setting was
causing glitches.

--
     Peter F Curran
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Use address in Organization line, finger
for PGP key.  Antispaam test in progress.

1. Cyrix crashes during Disk IO

I have a:

        "80486 Deep Green" mb
        IBM Blue Lightning/Cyrix DX2 cpu
        16 Meg RAM
        1542c SCSI w/ lots of room.
        Orchid Fahrenait VESA

running:
Slackware with 1.0.9 #4.

Twice now, I've found it totally wedged. The 1542C disk I/O LED was
on. KB was non-responsive. Hard reset restarted it & fcsk complained
about a uucp file being open.

Both crashes were when it was happily being left alone to do UUCP &
such; I've yet to have it happen while I'm banging away on the
keyboard.

Suggestions?

2. Delete everything *except* regex with sed?

3. Disk IO statisitics gathering for all disks

4. Why no curses color in Xterms?

5. Disk-IO to/from IDE-Disk brings machine to its knees

6. Newbie Question

7. Cyrix cache software?

8. connection problems

9. Cyrix 486 caching

10. enabling Cyrix 486 DLC cache

11. cyrix cache driver, where?

12. "warning: cyrix 486dlc cache unchanged"

13. Cyrix 486DLC-40 cache