Second fan for case?

Post by nos.. » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Was I hosed?

I recently ordered an Addtronics case from a vendor with 2-fans.

When I received it and was installing the mobo when I suddenly realized
there was only one fan in the case and contacted the vendor.

Their reply was that I was sold a case with two fans, one in the power
supply and the second in the case.

This was not what I envisioned as a case with two fans since I've never
seen a power supply for a PC without a fan.

Your opinions?

Second fan for case?

Post by Steve D » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Was I hosed?

> I recently ordered an Addtronics case from a vendor with 2-fans.

> When I received it and was installing the mobo when I suddenly realized
> there was only one fan in the case and contacted the vendor.

> Their reply was that I was sold a case with two fans, one in the power
> supply and the second in the case.

> This was not what I envisioned as a case with two fans since I've never
> seen a power supply for a PC without a fan.

> Your opinions?

Clever Marketing! It's sad, but things like this are a trend that is
climbing steadily. I wouldn't say you were hosed (at least too badly)
since fans can be had for less than 10 bucks, but it's dissapointing.

I bought a case from them too, it's really nice. BIG too. Room for 4 8cm fans.
I noticed the same thing though.. oh, well...

steve...

Second fan for case?

Post by Jim Jerzyck » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Sounds like a "Marketing" decision, kinda like the way a 19" monitor
doesn't measure 19", but a 19" TV does!
Regards, Jim

1. Blade 1500 case fan noise

All of my Blade 1500 workstations (blue) generate a strange kind of howling
noise. Taking a close look with the case opened, I know now that it's
caused by the case fans, which accelerate/decelerate about once or twice
per second - one can hear that, and even see it when looking at the
fan blades.

One can see it in prtdiag -v output, too. I used:

  while test 1 = 1
  do
    date
    prtdiag -v | egrep 'rpm|Ambient'
  done

The temperature is constant, but the fan rpm of both case fans is changing
frequently. I guess the problem could easily be solved in software, by
modifying the fan speed control. Is it possible to do this via any Solaris
command (picl/*fru*/whatever) ? I'd really like to check whether e.g.
setting the fans to a fixed rpm would resolve the noise problem.

If nothing else, I'd like to know if anybody else has this problem.

Running the fans on full-speed all the time would probably be less
disturbing than this pulsating sound.

I'm up-to-date on patches, and I just updated the OBP to the most recent
version, too (I hoped this could help, esp. after seeing "4816966: Need to
change Fan PWM Freq in OBP for Taco" in the OBP patch README, but to no
avail).

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna

2. SMTP problem with MMDF server??

3. How to operate case fans using APM?

4. how to split file?

5. Case fans

6. would like help with DSO

7. FS: Nidec 43 CFM Temp Sensor Case fans and 25 CFM Blowers!

8. TLI or only socket network programming

9. snmp monitoring of cpu fans and case temps

10. case fan sizes - confused newbie self builder

11. BE6 CPU Fan - Fan Voltages

12. Extreme Cooling: Nidec Smart Fans - 43 CFM from a 80mm 12 volt fan !!

13. fan noise fan control