ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by Michael Wilm » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:01:15

Greetings,

As a newbie I can't find out, why SuSE 7.0 does not recognise
drives connected to the ATA100 Controller onboard (promise).
Might it be possible (someone suggested this in a posting from
last week in this NG) that the kernel does not support ATA100
at all? I appreciate *any* suggestions about what to do...

bye
    Michael Wilms

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by Dan Whit » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:41:29

> Greetings,

> As a newbie I can't find out, why SuSE 7.0 does not recognise drives
> connected to the ATA100 Controller onboard (promise). Might it be
> possible (someone suggested this in a posting from last week in this NG)
> that the kernel does not support ATA100 at all? I appreciate *any*
> suggestions about what to do...

> bye
>     Michael Wilms

I can't speak for SuSE, since I don't use it. but most distributions
don't have support for Promise ATA100 yet, but there are kernel patches
which provide this support. You can find them at

http://www.linux-ide.com

A common approach (I've got one myself) is to temporarily replace the
ATA100 cable with a slower one, or to plug the drive into an ATA33 or 66
IDE port in your system if you have one. Install Linux, then recompile
the kernel with the proper support, and plug it back into its original
configuration.

- Dan White

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by Harald van Pe » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:21:00

> Greetings,

> As a newbie I can't find out, why SuSE 7.0 does not recognise
> drives connected to the ATA100 Controller onboard (promise).
> Might it be possible (someone suggested this in a posting from
> last week in this NG) that the kernel does not support ATA100
> at all? I appreciate *any* suggestions about what to do...

> bye
>     Michael Wilms

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/a7vpromise.html

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by Jacob Hooysm » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:41:08

Suse provides a special bootdisk for the Asus A7V motherboard
you can download it form there ftp site....just type A7V in their
search field in the help database

Let me know if it works.....I tried it, it know recognises my disk but after
that
the system hangs. Probably caused by my second ATA disc a seagate..

Grtx Jacob

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by Ben Holme » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:45:02

Quote:> Suse provides a special bootdisk for the Asus A7V motherboard
> you can download it form there ftp site....just type A7V in their
> search field in the help database

> Let me know if it works.....I tried it, it know recognises my disk
> but after that the system hangs.

Ditto... any answers anyone?

Quote:> Probably caused by my second ATA disc a seagate..

> Grtx Jacob

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by eande » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:30:05

If you're getting a Kernel Panic, the problem is caused by the AMD
processor. Athlons and Durons do not have CPU IDs, which causes the
lockup. Bypass the problem at boot by typing (at the LILO prompt): linux
x86_serial_nr=1. When you run the install, type that same command in the
kernel arguments textbox near the end of the install, and it will ignore
the CPU ID from that point on.

> > Suse provides a special bootdisk for the Asus A7V motherboard
> > you can download it form there ftp site....just type A7V in their
> > search field in the help database

> > Let me know if it works.....I tried it, it know recognises my disk
> > but after that the system hangs.

> Ditto... any answers anyone?

> > Probably caused by my second ATA disc a seagate..

> > Grtx Jacob

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by sgfar.. » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:43:35

hi

we've got very similar problems but we get an error

unable to mount root fs on 21:08

this site was very helpful in getting the fireball AS harddrive to work
which apparently is tied in with the ATA 100 problem...

http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/

any help with our FS problem would be much appreciated!

TIA

serge

> If you're getting a Kernel Panic, the problem is caused by the AMD
> processor. Athlons and Durons do not have CPU IDs, which causes the
> lockup. Bypass the problem at boot by typing (at the LILO prompt):
linux
> x86_serial_nr=1. When you run the install, type that same command in
the
> kernel arguments textbox near the end of the install, and it will
ignore
> the CPU ID from that point on.

> > > Suse provides a special bootdisk for the Asus A7V motherboard
> > > you can download it form there ftp site....just type A7V in their
> > > search field in the help database

> > > Let me know if it works.....I tried it, it know recognises my disk
> > > but after that the system hangs.

> > Ditto... any answers anyone?

> > > Probably caused by my second ATA disc a seagate..

> > > Grtx Jacob

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

> --

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by sgfar.. » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:43:11

hi

we've got very similar problems but we get an error

unable to mount root fs on 21:08

this site was very helpful in getting the fireball AS harddrive to work
which apparently is tied in with the ATA 100 problem...

any help with our FS problem would be much appreciated!

TIA

serge

> If you're getting a Kernel Panic, the problem is caused by the AMD
> processor. Athlons and Durons do not have CPU IDs, which causes the
> lockup. Bypass the problem at boot by typing (at the LILO prompt):
linux
> x86_serial_nr=1. When you run the install, type that same command in
the
> kernel arguments textbox near the end of the install, and it will
ignore
> the CPU ID from that point on.

> > > Suse provides a special bootdisk for the Asus A7V motherboard
> > > you can download it form there ftp site....just type A7V in their
> > > search field in the help database

> > > Let me know if it works.....I tried it, it know recognises my disk
> > > but after that the system hangs.

> > Ditto... any answers anyone?

> > > Probably caused by my second ATA disc a seagate..

> > > Grtx Jacob

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

> --

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by Keith Wheele » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:00:38

I've been down this road for about the last month. I have the Asus A7V with
the Athlon 1Ghz Thunderbird, 256MB ECC SDRAM, IBM 45GB ATA100 HDD, Toshiba
48x CD-ROM, and 2 - Intel PRO/100+ NICs. And I tried to install RH 7.0 onto
the IBM HDD attached to the embedded Promise ATA100 controller. No go.

I tried playing with the 2.4.0 kernel, but it was too unstable for me. I
ended up using the 2.2.18 kernel and would recommend you do also. First go
to http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/ and download
linux-2.2.18.tar.gz. Uncompress this into /root. Rename the linux directory
to linux-2.2.18, and move the directory to /usr/src. Edit the symbolic link
in /usr/src for linux to point to linux-2.2.18. You now have the base source
code for the 2.2.18 kernel in place.

Now go to http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.18/
and download ide.2.2.18.1221.patch.bz. Uncompress this and place the
resulting .patch file in the /usr/src/linux-2.2.18. Now at the command line
type "patch -p0 < ide.2.2.18.1221.patch". This will patch the 2.2.18 source
code with the new IDE disk controllers.

Now do a make menuconfig and configure your kernel parameters. Copy
System.map to /boot/System.map-2.2.18 and bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18.
Up date your /etc/lilo.conf. Run lilo -v, and you should be good to go.

I skipped a lot of steps I know. I'd suggest you refer to the README file in
the kernel and the Kernel HowTo's on the RedHat site. Both have a TON more
info than I included here. The only thing I have not yet done on my system
is run hdparm to adjust the transfer speeds. The difference in performance
is amazing!

Hope that helps.

Good Luck,
KW

> hi

> we've got very similar problems but we get an error

> unable to mount root fs on 21:08

> this site was very helpful in getting the fireball AS harddrive to work
> which apparently is tied in with the ATA 100 problem...

> any help with our FS problem would be much appreciated!

> TIA

> serge

> > If you're getting a Kernel Panic, the problem is caused by the AMD
> > processor. Athlons and Durons do not have CPU IDs, which causes the
> > lockup. Bypass the problem at boot by typing (at the LILO prompt):
> linux
> > x86_serial_nr=1. When you run the install, type that same command in
> the
> > kernel arguments textbox near the end of the install, and it will
> ignore
> > the CPU ID from that point on.

> > > Ditto... any answers anyone?

> > > Sent via Deja.com
> > > http://www.deja.com/

> > --

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by denny_dpa.. » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:24:25

Thanks a bunch for your very detailed response! I'm sure it will help
someone out there! But for the moment we are far too new to Linux to
figure out everything on our own...we're going shopping for a new
mother board!

Cheers and thanks again!

Dennis

> [...]

> > we've got very similar problems but we get an error

> > unable to mount root fs on 21:08

> > this site was very helpful in getting the fireball AS harddrive to
work
> > which apparently is tied in with the ATA 100 problem...

> > any help with our FS problem would be much appreciated!

> > TIA

> > serge

> > > If you're getting a Kernel Panic, the problem is caused by the AMD
> > > processor. Athlons and Durons do not have CPU IDs, which causes
the
> > > lockup. Bypass the problem at boot by typing (at the LILO prompt):
> > linux
> > > x86_serial_nr=1. When you run the install, type that same command
in
> > the
> > > kernel arguments textbox near the end of the install, and it will

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by Keith Wheele » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:09:12

Dennis,

Cool. How 'bout the A7V-Pro? Same M/B without the Promise ATA100 controller.

KW

> [...]

> file in
> > the kernel and the Kernel HowTo's on the RedHat site. Both have a TON
> more
> > info than I included here. The only thing I have not yet done on my
> system
> > is run hdparm to adjust the transfer speeds. The difference in
> performance
> > is amazing!

> > Hope that helps.

> > Good Luck,
> > KW

> > > hi

> > > we've got very similar problems but we get an error

> > > unable to mount root fs on 21:08

> > > this site was very helpful in getting the fireball AS harddrive to
> work
> > > which apparently is tied in with the ATA 100 problem...

> > > any help with our FS problem would be much appreciated!

ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems

Post by hac » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:28:42

> Dennis,

> Cool. How 'bout the A7V-Pro? Same M/B without the Promise ATA100 controller.

On Sunday, I purchased a new A7V133.  Using the KT133A chipset instead
of the KT133 chipset.  On Monday, it showed up on the ASUS web site.

The 'A' version chipset supports a 133MHz FSB in addition to the
previous 100MHz.  The VIA ATA interfaces now support ATA100.  My board
also has the Promise controller, but the manual seems to imply that
this is now optional.

I installed this board in place of my old one, plugging in a Maxtor
ATA66 drive in the primary channel of the VIA chipset.  It detected it
properly and booted, in ATA66 mode, without any Promise drivers
installed.  I don't have any ATA100 drives.

I have since installed the backported patches to 2.2.18, and compiled
a new kernel with appropriate choices.  Two VIA ATA100 channels, and
two Promise ATA100 channels.  And AC97 audio.  The same is true for
2.4.1, as of this morning (and that's what I'm running right now).
Sure does compile fast!

I like this board.

--

1. bug with promise ata 100 controler on asus a7v

It seems that this udma 100 controller crashes my system (freebsd 4.2
from latest iso).
When I install something with pkg_add, it often freezes the system after
a few minutes.
I connected my hard drive (IBM 30 GB ata 100, 7200rpm) on the basic
VIA 82C686 ATA 66 controller and it seems to run ok.

any suggestion ?
pierre

Pierre Caruel -- R3/409 -- 05 62 17 88 33

Supaero/Ecole Nat. Sup. de l'Aeronautique et de l'Espace
French National Aerospace School

2. Connecting a SCSI Tape Drive to an External Disk Drive

3. Installing Mandrake 10.0 on Hard Disk connected to controller Promise ATA 100 integrated on Asus A7V

4. Help!! PPC4400 trouble with Graphicscard

5. SuSe 7.0 and Asus A7V promise ATA-100

6. INN under 2.5 (Sparc)?

7. Problem with asus a7v and quantum lm ultra ata 66

8. afio source request.

9. Asus A7V with Promise Ultra100 ATA controller

10. Asus 7V and ATA 100

11. Promise IDE ATA-100 controller on ASUS A7V133

12. bogo-howto: ATA-100 drives on the Asus A7A266

13. ATA/66 & ATA/100