Gigabyte GA-586TX2 and ATAPI cd-rom

Post by Mark Touss » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello

with my new Gigabyte Board I get an error mounting cd roms
'the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device'; the old Asus
Board had no problem with the same configuration. When bootin, linux
shows:
hdc= no response (0xd0)
Even though I just installed from hdc. Kernel 2.0.33 did not change
anything...

Anybody had this before?

Best wishes from a cold Germany
Mark

Post by Kelson Vibbe » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello

> with my new Gigabyte Board I get an error mounting cd roms
> 'the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device'; the old Asus
> Board had no problem with the same configuration. When bootin, linux
> shows:
> hdc= no response (0xd0)
> Even though I just installed from hdc. Kernel 2.0.33 did not change
> anything...

> Anybody had this before?

> Best wishes from a cold Germany
> Mark

  I've got the same problem with my MSI Microstar board.  everything worked
fine before I upgraded, and now I get that same message on boot - I can't
even get the drive to eject the tray.  Then if I reboot into Windows 95, it
works fine.  No, booting into Windows first and then Linux doesn't work
either.  I know it's not the controller, for that reason and because Linux
is perfectly happy to see *and mount* my ATAPI ZIP drive which I have set
as slave.

Post by Jeffrey Smit » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > Hello

> > with my new Gigabyte Board I get an error mounting cd roms
> > 'the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device'; the old Asus
> > Board had no problem with the same configuration. When bootin, linux
> > shows:
> > hdc= no response (0xd0)
> > Even though I just installed from hdc. Kernel 2.0.33 did not change
> > anything...

> > Anybody had this before?

> > Best wishes from a cold Germany
> > Mark

>   I've got the same problem with my MSI Microstar board.  everything worked
> fine before I upgraded, and now I get that same message on boot - I can't
> even get the drive to eject the tray.  Then if I reboot into Windows 95, it
> works fine.  No, booting into Windows first and then Linux doesn't work
> either.  I know it's not the controller, for that reason and because Linux
> is perfectly happy to see *and mount* my ATAPI ZIP drive which I have set
> as slave.

 Hi:

I have the same problem with my ASUS P2L97 motherboard - in fact I get the
same
status message from hdc during bootup ...
.hda: WDC AC35100L, 4924MB w/256kB Cache, LBA, CHS=627/255/63
hdb: Maxtor 71000 A, 958MB w/64kB Cache, LBA, CHS=1946/16/63
hdc: no response (status = 0xd0)
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
..

To bad too; my upgrade from my old 75Mhz Pentium was going so well.  Well this
is
three people who have the same problem, could this be an epidemic ???

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Smith

This Machine Runs on LINUX
--

Gigabyte GA-586TX2 and ATAPI cd-rom

Post by Jeffrey Smit » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > Hello

> > with my new Gigabyte Board I get an error mounting cd roms
> > 'the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device'; the old Asus
> > Board had no problem with the same configuration. When bootin, linux
> > shows:
> > hdc= no response (0xd0)
> > Even though I just installed from hdc. Kernel 2.0.33 did not change
> > anything...

> > Anybody had this before?

> > Best wishes from a cold Germany
> > Mark

>   I've got the same problem with my MSI Microstar board.  everything worked
> fine before I upgraded, and now I get that same message on boot - I can't
> even get the drive to eject the tray.  Then if I reboot into Windows 95, it
> works fine.  No, booting into Windows first and then Linux doesn't work
> either.  I know it's not the controller, for that reason and because Linux
> is perfectly happy to see *and mount* my ATAPI ZIP drive which I have set
> as slave.

 I  just found a solution that worked on my ASUS board.  When I typed in the
dmesg command I noticed the following fragment of output ...
..
..
hda: WDC AC35100L, 4924MB w/256kB Cache, LBA, CHS=627/255/63
hdb: Maxtor 71000 A, 958MB w/64kB Cache, LBA, CHS=1946/16/63
hdc: Not found (status = 0x0d)
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
..
..

I noticed that no entry for ide1 appeared ... so the problem is not the
failure to
recognize the cdrom but a failure to recognize the ide1 bus.

OK,  in my BIOS setup there is a screen called Chipset Features Setup.  In
this
screen I have the option of changing the PIO/DMA Mode for all IDE interfaces;
it looks something like this ...

IDE0 Master  PIO/DMA Mode : Auto
IDE0 Slave     PIO/DMA Mode : Auto
IDE1 Master  PIO/DMA Mode : Auto
IDE1 Slave     PIO/DMA Mode : Auto

The documentation that came with the mother board gave me little information
regarding what these settings do (except to acknowledge that they exist) .
The option of Auto was the default as shown above.  I changed the IDE1 Master
to a setting of 0/0  (There are a few possibilities .. 0/0, 1/0, 2/0, 3/1,
4/2, and Auto).
I rebooted Linux and it recognized both ide1 and the cdrom drive .....

..
..
hda: WDC AC35100L, 4924MB w/256kB Cache, LBA, CHS=627/255/63
hdb: Maxtor 71000 A, 958MB w/64kB Cache, LBA, CHS=1946/16/63
hdc: , ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
..
..

You may not have the same look and feel as my BIOS, but maybe this is a clue
to solve your problem.   Here is what my ASUS manual said about this BIOS
setting ....

"Each channel (0 and 1) has both a master and a slave making for IDE devices
 possible.  Because each IDE device may have a different Mode timing
(0,1,2,3,4),
 it is necessary for these to be independent.  The default setting of Auto
will allow
 auto-detect to ensure optimal performance."

So it must be a timing issue of some sort.   Hope this helps......

--
Jeffrey Smith

This Machine Runs on LINUX
--

1. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

Okay, I have been out of this group for some time, and now am
getting setup as a ISP (Internet Service Provider).  I was going to
use Windows/NT but decided that linux offered just a much with very
little start-up cost, as far as server software goes.
I was wondering if someone could spend a couple of minutes to save
me some time.  I read the CD-ROM howto, and am somewhat perplexed
on getting my "Que" Special Editon-Using Linux CD-ROM to be
accepted for installation.  I used the "fips" to make a partition
(250meg) just for the swap/native part of linxu.  But can't get the
setup utility to recognize my cd-rom, it's a "ACER"
Quad/600kb/250ms and uses the IDE/ATAPI interface (connects to the
motherboard, not the Sound-Card).  Is there some way to install off
of the cd-rom or am I going to be forced to do it with floppies?
Thanks for any info.
I'll scan this group for a reply, or if you want, send info on
e-mail.

--

   A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure.

2. Show aliases in a tree display

3. Finally got ATAPI ZIP working with ATAPI CD-ROM

4. Is it true that 192.168.0.0 (subnet 255.255.255.0) is not used anywhere on the Internet.

5. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

6. multi directory CGI.

7. atapi cd-rom and CD-Roast

8. NIS+ and hostnames

9. problem reading cd - sco install using ATAPI cd-rom drive

10. SB16 PnP ATAPI CD-ROM: play audio CDs?

11. mounting ide/atapi cd-rom

12. help in reading files from ATAPI CD-ROM

13. Problems w/ ATAPI CD-ROM install