Stealth Video 64 or ATI Mach 64

Post by John T. Crote » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Trying to decide on which 4MB PCI video card to go with for my new killer
Linux box I am building.  Do I go with a Stealth Video 64 or an ATI Graphics
Pro Turbo.

Current Hardware consists of:

Pentium 90 with 64MB of Parity RAM
Adaptec 2940 SCSI-2 Controller
2 GB Segate "Barracuda" Hard Drive
WangDAT 6100 HS 2 GB DAT Tape Drive
STB Powergraph 64 with 2 MB DRAM

The only remaining bottleneck in the system is the video card.  I would like

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Gavin Treadgol » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Trying to decide on which 4MB PCI video card to go with for my new killer
>Linux box I am building.  Do I go with a Stealth Video 64 or an ATI Graphics
>Pro Turbo.

>The only remaining bottleneck in the system is the video card.  I would like

>Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have just purchased a Stealth 64 Video 4MB VRAM for my killer box, and with
the new drivers from Xfree that support the 968 chipset, Linux is great.

I am currenting using 1280x1024x16bpp, and if I want 32bpp i cut down to
1024x768. There are no problems that I have seen yet with the driver software.

I think it is a fantastic card and fully recommend it.

Cheers

Gavin

1. Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM or ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach 64)?

I'm looking into getting a Micron P120PCI Millennia Plus system for
running Linux and XFree86. The Micron upgrade choices for video cards
are:

 - Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM    - 2MB or 4MB
 - ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach 64) - 2MB or 4MB

Which is better supported in XFree86?

Is there any significant speed difference between these two cards for
XFree86?

I've heard that some cards run faster w/4MB than 2MB due to memory
interleaving or double wide bus access.  Do either of these two cards
have this property or is the only difference for these cards the
number of colors supported at higher resolutions?

Thanks,
Doug

2. Printer Woes

3. S3 964 Diamond Stealth 64, ATI Mach 64 and Gateway Vivitron 1776 - Help!!!

4. backup mail server

5. ATI MAch 64 vs STB PowerGraph 64

6. stealth lilo?

7. ATI Mach 64 video cards

8. If it walks like a duck.......

9. ATI CT Mach 64 Video Card

10. WinTV BT878 and ATI Mach 64 video - can it be done?

11. Video troubles with ATI Mach 64

12. Drivers for ATI Mach 64 video card

13. How to get X running on Mach 64 ATI video card