Bizarre ps problem

Post by Tad » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On my newly installed RH 6 system, ps is displaying the incorrect start
time. Date shows the correct time and is synchronized to eagle.tamu.edu.
It is not a time zone problem, because the minutes are incorrect also. My
cron jobs do run at the appropriate time. This doesn't seem to be causing
any problems other than cosmetic. I would like to know what the problem is,
though. The system is a dual Celeron 366 on an Abit BP6, over-clocked to
550, kernel 2.2.12. Incredibly fast and stable I might add. I don't
experience this problem on my other computer that is set up the same except
for the hardware.

Thanks
Tad

Bizarre ps problem

Post by Jacob Mul » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Have you considered a dead cmos battery?

Quote:> On my newly installed RH 6 system, ps is displaying the incorrect start
> time. Date shows the correct time and is synchronized to eagle.tamu.edu.
> It is not a time zone problem, because the minutes are incorrect also. My
> cron jobs do run at the appropriate time. This doesn't seem to be causing
> any problems other than cosmetic. I would like to know what the problem
is,
> though. The system is a dual Celeron 366 on an Abit BP6, over-clocked to
> 550, kernel 2.2.12. Incredibly fast and stable I might add. I don't
> experience this problem on my other computer that is set up the same
except
> for the hardware.

> Thanks
> Tad

1. ps problem got worse (was: ps hiding problem)

] The program in question is sqr for Sybase.  The new problem is that when I
] try to redirect the user and password into sqr it prompts me for the password;
] I think it is somehow bypassing stdin!  What can I do, I really don't want the
] password available to the person executing the autamated command.
] Once again I don't have the source.

Use expect;  it can tell the program the password and make it think it is
coming from the /dev/tty instead of stdin.  At any point you can still
transfer control back to the user, to continue using the Sybase as usual.

It can do much more, but it certainly can do what you are asking.

--

  n  r
  a JAMax          "If you walk around carrying a hammer,

2. FireGL 4000

3. optical mouse (ps/2 - usb) random events problems as ps/2?

4. Apache on Free BSD questions

5. adobe .ps vs .pdf files confusion: problems reading ".ps" documentation on redhat 5.2 linux

6. ISDN and automatic dialling

7. Linux .ps docs - print problem on HPLJIII with PS cartridge

8. syntax for an IF statement

9. Bizarre Virtual Host Logging Problem

10. Bizarre FTP/Modem problem: stalls on RPM files

11. bizarre problem with X windows

12. Bizarre network application problem

13. Bizarre Print Problem with RH 7.1