How to detect supported CD ROM read speeds

How to detect supported CD ROM read speeds

Post by Tomas Horsk » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:26:21

Hi,

in my application I need to detect supported read speeds of cdrom drive,
and current read speed. I did not find ioctl for that (selecting speed
works, but how to ask drive for this information). Is there some way to do
it ? I don't mean trying different speeds and measure bytes/time :-).

Thanks

Tomas

Post by George Bel » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:48:08

> Hi,

> in my application I need to detect supported read speeds of cdrom drive,
> and current read speed. I did not find ioctl for that (selecting speed
> works, but how to ask drive for this information). Is there some way to do
> it ? I don't mean trying different speeds and measure bytes/time :-).

> Thanks

> Tomas

cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

Post by Davi » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:23:20

> > Hi,

> > in my application I need to detect supported read speeds of cdrom drive,
> > and current read speed. I did not find ioctl for that (selecting speed
> > works, but how to ask drive for this information). Is there some way to do
> > it ? I don't mean trying different speeds and measure bytes/time :-).

> > Thanks

> > Tomas

> cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

Anyway to determine the max write speed?

--
David Filion            filiond[at]videotron[dot]ca
Linux counter #195143

"Yes, it's manly, but let's face it, so is bungee-jumping with the
 cord tied to your *." -- Linus Torvalds

Post by Trevor Hemsl » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 00:46:10

> Anyway to determine the max write speed?

Have a look at get_capabilities() in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/sr.c

If it isn't there already then you also need to look at the source for
cdrecord which further defines what some of the fields mean.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

Post by Tomas Horsk » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 05:35:28

>> Hi,

>> in my application I need to detect supported read speeds of cdrom drive,
>> and current read speed. I did not find ioctl for that (selecting speed
>> works, but how to ask drive for this information). Is there some way to
>> do it ? I don't mean trying different speeds and measure bytes/time :-).

>> Thanks

>> Tomas

> cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

Hmm, this shows only max speed, but I would like to check every possible
read speed (lower speeds).

Tomas

How to detect supported CD ROM read speeds

Post by Peter Buelo » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 06:08:28

  Well, I think it's safe to assume that if it's an 8x drive, then it's also
a 7x, 6x, etc... If you are testing, then getting the max and subtracting
one to run the tests is simple enough. Is there a reason why the device
would want to report every speed and not just the maximums?

--
-Pete Buelow
replace nospam with putzin to email me back.

1. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

Hello

    I installed a Rage Fury 128. Upon the first bot into linux It asked to
uninstall the old video drivers -- went fine.
Then it asked to install the drivers for the card, which it detected and
identified perfectly.  It asked for the location of the source files and
gave the options of CD or Filesystem. I don't know where they would be
located on the filesystem, so I said CD. It returned with "Unable to mount
CD-ROM". I hit cancel and got shot back to the initial File location list
with CD, Filesystem, and Cancel. after several tries, it was obvious that
jiggling the wires wouldn't fix this and now Linux is unusable because when
the GUI would normally come up I now have a blank screen with occasional
hard-drive activity. I put the old card back in, identification and
configuration was perfect, (it didn't ask for the CD), but now my CD-ROM is
still not being mounted. The BIOS and Win2K are both finding the CD without
a problem.

The CD-ROM is the Master on Secondary Controller. Is a Funai X285E.

    In Win2K the CD is fine with no difficulties at all. Any
suggestions?

    In a separate, unrelated issue, Linux will not find my Soundcard. I have
a classic Soundblaster 16 ISA card for universal compatibility, but it
doesn't recognize it all. I assume this is because it is an ISA card and I
need to configure it manually. Unfortunately I am *very* new to Linux and do
not know how to do this. (Yes I've ordered "Running Linux, 2nd Ed.", but it
will not be here for a few days.)

    I would greatly appreciate any advice that could be offered. I still
have the old video card if it will be required.

Thank you,
Jesse

2. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.19)

3. Can't read FAT-Partion/CD-ROM not detected

4. Exiting KDE

5. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

6. tput: relocation error

7. CD-ROM read speed slower than expected

8. ??chpv command

9. Control of read speed on CD-ROM

10. 4X Speed CD-ROM Support

11. Dose linux support any 4x speed CD-ROM?

12. supported single speed CD-ROMs

13. 4X Speed CD-ROM Support