Power down Conner 2GB SCSI Hard Drive?

Post by Curtis Magya » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have a SCSI hard drive that I keep a small Win98 installation on,
which I rarely use.  It's very loud, and I would like to be able to turn
it off while in Linux.  After searching around for a while, I found
hdparm, but it only seems to work with IDE drives.  Is there a SCSI
equivilent?  It's easy to use hdparm with -S on my IDE drives to have
them turn off after a specified period of inactivity, and if possible
I'd like to do something similar with the SCSI drive.

-- Curtis Magyar

P.S.  The drive was loud when it was new a long time ago, it's loud in
DOS, Windows, and Linux.  I'm not worried about the consequences of
turning the drive off and on.  If it goes, it will have served it's
purpose well.  I just need some sleep at night.  :)

Post by Eric Wic » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> hdparm, but it only seems to work with IDE drives.  Is there a SCSI
> equivilent?  It's easy to use hdparm with -S on my IDE drives to have

Yes try a Websearch for "scsistop". This little tool can stop and start
scsi drives that support this feature.

Quote:> I'd like to do something similar with the SCSI drive.

Thats a little problem, the tool sends the command and the drive spins
down immediately, and the drive must be restarted with the tool again.
Im using it for my backupdrive in the server.

Quote:> DOS, Windows, and Linux.  I'm not worried about the consequences of
> turning the drive off and on.  If it goes, it will have served it's

Most actual drives have 50000 start and stop in their sheet.

--

Linux-Computing, SpeedDragon http://www.hanse-net.de/eric.wick
ByeBye

Power down Conner 2GB SCSI Hard Drive?

Post by Curtis Magya » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

While searching for scistop, I found in the same directory 'scsi-idle' -
spin down SCSI disk after idle period.  Thanks very much for your help!

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/sunsite/system/hardware/scsi-idle-2.0...

> > hdparm, but it only seems to work with IDE drives.  Is there a SCSI
> > equivilent?  It's easy to use hdparm with -S on my IDE drives to have

> Yes try a Websearch for "scsistop". This little tool can stop and start
> scsi drives that support this feature.

> > I'd like to do something similar with the SCSI drive.

> Thats a little problem, the tool sends the command and the drive spins
> down immediately, and the drive must be restarted with the tool again.
> Im using it for my backupdrive in the server.

> > DOS, Windows, and Linux.  I'm not worried about the consequences of
> > turning the drive off and on.  If it goes, it will have served it's

> Most actual drives have 50000 start and stop in their sheet.

> --

> Linux-Computing, SpeedDragon http://www.hanse-net.de/eric.wick
> ByeBye
> Eric

1. What happens to hard drive when powering down?

I was talking with a friend of mine about powering down a system, he claims
that when power is turned off a unix system without parking the head then the
head "crashes" into the platter when it is done spinning down.  Does anyone
know what actually happens to the hard drive when you just turn the switch off?
What about when running windows 3.1 and you just turn the power off versus
shutting off power in DOS?  I know when you just power down a linux system
without running the power down sequence and then booting up it takes a lot
longer since it is checking the files for whatever.  This kind of has me
concerned about the "best" way to shut down my PC.

TIA,

2. Help with RedHat! Does Linux 2.2.+, 2.3.+ serial driver handle sharing interrupts?

3. hard drive power down util?

4. More serial ports

5. Hard drive power down

6. stack trace

7. Powering down hard drive

8. Richard Stallmans's Greatest Speeches.

9. WD7193 SCSI controller and Conner CFP1060S hard drive problem

10. Seagate ST-31200WC 2GB SCSI Hard Drive

11. HELP: aha2940 + 2Gb Seagate SCSI hard drives

12. Problem with liloconfig and SCSI 2GB hard drive

13. FS/FA: $5.00 each Seagate 2GB to 9GB External SCSI Hard Drives (Unix System compatible)