QIC-80 backups with recent 13.3x kernels.

QIC-80 backups with recent 13.3x kernels.

Post by Adam B. Meltz » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Since I've upgraded to 1.3.37 I have noticed there is only QIC-02 tape driver support. My drive relies on the QIC-117 kernel config switch for ftape to work properly. Are there any plans on adding this back into the kernel, or is there a patch of some kind for the existing ftape, or even a new ftape.

Thanks :)
--
         dBBBBBb dBBBBBb     dBBBBBBb dBBBBBb dBBBBBb     dBBBBb  dBBBP
             dBP      BB          dBP     dB'      BB

Post by Peter Herweij » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

    Since I've upgraded to 1.3.37 I have noticed there is only QIC-02
    tape driver support. My drive relies on the QIC-117 kernel config
    switch for ftape to work properly. Are there any plans on adding
    this back into the kernel, or is there a patch of some kind for the
    existing ftape, or even a new ftape.

Please hit RETURN a few times.

QIC117 support has _not_ disappeared. All this option did was
preallocate DMA buffers in the kernel for the ftape driver. With newer
kernels, modules have the possibility to allocate such buffers at load
time, which means there's no need anymore to allocate them at compile
time. So Linus removed the option.

Unfortunately, as far as I know ftape has not yet been updated to use
this new method. Happily there's an ftape spinoff, called zftape, that
will work with newer kernels and has some other advantages as well. I
suggest you look into that.

It's available from all the usual places.

 - Peter

QIC-80 backups with recent 13.3x kernels.

Post by Peter Jaecke » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

discussion there. Kenneth has a patch for ftape2.03b but it is currently
being discussed to write version 2.04 which will have it.

the message text
                   subscribe linux-tape

Good luck,

Peter

    The above article is the personal view of the poster and should not be
       considered as an official comment from the JET Joint Undertaking