Would EVERY USRobotics external 56K modem work under Linux ?

Would EVERY USRobotics external 56K modem work under Linux ?

Post by Benc » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

?
or are there several kinds of them with only a few support Linux ?

thx, ben.

Would EVERY USRobotics external 56K modem work under Linux ?

Post by Trump » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Unfortunatly they too have been suckered into the WinModem market.  So,
watchout if you're buying one!

Quote:> ?

Post by gus » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> ?
> or are there several kinds of them with only a few support Linux ?

> thx, ben.

Contrary to Trumpy's answer...

As far as I know, ALL external *serial* modems *will* work with Linux.
There are now USB modems and such which will most probably *not* work
with Linux for the moment.

There is no such thing as an *external* winmodem.

gus

Would EVERY USRobotics external 56K modem work under Linux ?

Post by Trump » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Oops!!  I didn't see that you said it was external.  Sorry about that!  Gus
is right.

> > ?
> > or are there several kinds of them with only a few support Linux ?

> > thx, ben.

> Contrary to Trumpy's answer...

> As far as I know, ALL external *serial* modems *will* work with Linux.
> There are now USB modems and such which will most probably *not* work
> with Linux for the moment.

> There is no such thing as an *external* winmodem.

> gus

Would EVERY USRobotics external 56K modem work under Linux ?

Post by Armond Perrett » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> As far as I know, ALL external *serial* modems *will* work with Linux.
> There are now USB modems and such which will most probably *not* work
> with Linux for the moment.

> There is no such thing as an *external* winmodem.

Additionally, the external USR 5605 offers both USB and serial connections.
I suppose I'll soon be able to see if the USB setup works in Linux.  In the
meantime the serial setup is quite good under RH 6.1.

Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat (remove 'BOAT')
http://kerrydeare.tripod.com

Post by Thomas Skyt Jesse » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > ?
> > or are there several kinds of them with only a few support Linux ?

> > thx, ben.

> Contrary to Trumpy's answer...

> As far as I know, ALL external *serial* modems *will* work with Linux.
> There are now USB modems and such which will most probably *not* work
> with Linux for the moment.

> There is no such thing as an *external* winmodem.

No, but there are external ISDN-modems and PABX's that only understand
their own language aka AVM FritzX or several Teles-boxes.

Thomas Skyt.

Post by John McKo » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>?
>or are there several kinds of them with only a few support Linux ?

To the best of my knowledge, all EXTERNAL modem are "true" modems. And
all EXTERNAL modems that I've ever heard of use the standard Hayes "AT"
command set. That's why I like EXTERNAL modems. Also, I like to be able
to see the LEDs flash. It gives me a "warm fuzzy" that something is actually
going over the telephone line.

John McKown

1. Problem with External Modem Rockwell ACF 56K (2 Meg ROM) can work in linux?

Xoltrix external modem 8FM56e can work in linux? I heard that is a
soft modem despite de fact that is external. Is that true? I been
trying to find out about this model but w/o success. Anyone knows
anything that I should know to make it work, please let me know. I
didnt have any luck trying to connect to ISP in Mandrake 7.02 o BEos
5PE.

Jess

2. Btrieve for linux

3. Modem USrobotics 56k

4. Xremote & Screen

5. HELP!!! MANDRAKE USROBOTICS 56K MODEM PROBLEMS!

6. Routing Question

7. USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows

8. PuTTY keys/colours

9. USRobotics 56K modem

10. setting up kppp on USRobotics 56K fax modem

11. 3Comm/USRobotics External Modem

12. Is TNC Merz 56K external modem compatible with Linux?