Intelligent multiport serial: Cyclades or Comtrol?

Intelligent multiport serial: Cyclades or Comtrol?

Post by Kyle Rhor » Sat, 29 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I'm having a difficult time deciding between a Cyclades Cyclom-8Yo and a
Comtrol Rocketport RA Octacable intelligent multiport serial card.  I can
get the Rocketport for US$ 60-70 less than the Cyclom, but Cyclades support
comes with the newer kernels and Cyclades openly supports Linux.  Ted T'so
recently released a driver for the Rocketport which he claims is officially
supported by Comtrol, but there has to be more to it than just price.
If you have either (or both) of these boards, please write me with the
pros and cons based on your experiences.  I will post a summary if there
is interest (and responses).

Thanks!
Kyle

--
                 "I went to bed late but I didn't think late would affect me

(Kyle Rhorer)                                Wake up, so I could get dressed
                          I guess my body was mad because I gave it no rest."
There's NO excuse                                       -- Kris Kross
for animal abuse!
Support your local SPCA or Humane Society!

Post by Henry Y » Mon, 01 May 1995 04:00:00

>I'm having a difficult time deciding between a Cyclades Cyclom-8Yo and a
>Comtrol Rocketport RA Octacable intelligent multiport serial card.  I can

At work, our data lab has a machine with both of these cards.
The Cyclades driver seems to be considerably more stable; but the
RocketPort card appears to be technically superior. The Cyclades
driver is supported from at least 1.1.59 (perhaps as early as 1.1.54),
while the RocketPort driver (a loadable module, by the way) is only
supported as of 1.2.0.

Quote:>get the Rocketport for US$ 60-70 less than the Cyclom, but Cyclades support

Cyclades currently has a "first-time buyer" promotion which allows
the purchase of 1 or 2 cards at US$200.
Quote:

Post by Russell Nels » Mon, 01 May 1995 04:00:00

   I'm having a difficult time deciding between a Cyclades Cyclom-8Yo and a
   Comtrol Rocketport RA Octacable intelligent multiport serial card.  I can
   get the Rocketport for US$ 60-70 less than the Cyclom, but Cyclades support
   comes with the newer kernels and Cyclades openly supports Linux.  Ted T'so
   recently released a driver for the Rocketport which he claims is officially
   supported by Comtrol, but there has to be more to it than just price.

I've got one of these boards.  Comtrol officially supports the Linux driver.
Linux Journal is going to have a review of intelligent multiport
serial boards in the next issue.

--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?

1. Intelligent multiport Cyclades

Hello All,

I need an intelligent serial multiport for my linux machine.

I tried with Specialix, but I won't be able to run, I tried with
Digiboard and I won't be able to compile anything.

I read that Cyclades works well with Linux, but unfortunately I live in
Italy
and I can't find it.

Can you please give me an address of a big mail-order which can ship me
this
card (in Italy) within days?

Thank you in advance for cooperation

Best Regards

2. Cable Modem vs DSL

3. Release of the Comtrol Rocketport Intelligent Serial Board driver.

4. Help needed with LM7.2 /A7V133/ATA100HDD/GeForce2MX

5. Anyone using COMTROL RocketPort 8 port Intelligent serial boards?

6. Version of FreeBSD

7. Release of the Comtrol Rocketport Intelligent Serial Board driver.

8. how i can install the Mozilla Java Runtime Enviroment Plug in?

9. FS: COMTROL's RocketPort Multiport Serial Card

10. HOSTESS (TM) Products (Comtrol Corporation) multiport serial

11. Comtrol-multiport serial...

12. intelligent multiport serial boards