USB smartmedia readers

Post by Mladen Bestvin » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 14:51:14

Hi,

If anybody is in the market for a USB smartmedia card reader, I highly
recommend OmniFlash Uno, see
http://store.compuapps.com/omunousbsmar.html

It works out of the box, no kernel recompile, not even a driver
required. It uses the usb-storage module that is included in kernel 2.4.
What's more, the company *supports* linux. In addition, they charge only
$20 :-))

Mladen

USB smartmedia readers

Post by Michael Meissne » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 15:51:00

> Hi,

> If anybody is in the market for a USB smartmedia card reader, I highly
> recommend OmniFlash Uno, see
> http://store.compuapps.com/omunousbsmar.html

> It works out of the box, no kernel recompile, not even a driver
> required. It uses the usb-storage module that is included in kernel 2.4.
> What's more, the company *supports* linux. In addition, they charge only
> $20 :-))

Do writes to the smartmedia card reader work?  My eFilm reader doesn't support
writes since it uses the Sandisk driver in the kernel, which is read-only?

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)

USB smartmedia readers

Post by Mladen Bestvin » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 07:42:49

> > Hi,

> > If anybody is in the market for a USB smartmedia card reader, I highly
> > recommend OmniFlash Uno, see
> > http://store.compuapps.com/omunousbsmar.html

> > It works out of the box, no kernel recompile, not even a driver
> > required. It uses the usb-storage module that is included in kernel 2.4.
> > What's more, the company *supports* linux. In addition, they charge only
> > $20 :-))

> Do writes to the smartmedia card reader work?  My eFilm reader doesn't support
> writes since it uses the Sandisk driver in the kernel, which is read-only?

> --
> Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
> PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886, USA

Yes, you can write to them (though I never tried until now).

Mladen

USB smartmedia readers

Post by ha » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 07:50:27

> > Hi,

> > If anybody is in the market for a USB smartmedia card reader, I highly
> > recommend OmniFlash Uno, see
> > http://store.compuapps.com/omunousbsmar.html

> > It works out of the box, no kernel recompile, not even a driver
> > required. It uses the usb-storage module that is included in kernel 2.4.
> > What's more, the company *supports* linux. In addition, they charge only
> > $20 :-))

> Do writes to the smartmedia card reader work?  My eFilm reader doesn't support
> writes since it uses the Sandisk driver in the kernel, which is read-only?

Yes it supports read/write in Windows/mac/linux and solaris too

USB smartmedia readers

Post by Michael Meissne » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:42:53

> > > Hi,

> > > If anybody is in the market for a USB smartmedia card reader, I highly
> > > recommend OmniFlash Uno, see
> > > http://store.compuapps.com/omunousbsmar.html

> > > It works out of the box, no kernel recompile, not even a driver
> > > required. It uses the usb-storage module that is included in kernel 2.4.
> > > What's more, the company *supports* linux. In addition, they charge only
> > > $20 :-))

> > Do writes to the smartmedia card reader work?  My eFilm reader doesn't support
> > writes since it uses the Sandisk driver in the kernel, which is read-only?

> Yes it supports read/write in Windows/mac/linux and solaris too

Thanks mladen and cchnnai.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)

USB smartmedia readers

Post by rcarte » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:59:43

Quote:> Hi,

> If anybody is in the market for a USB smartmedia card reader, I highly
> recommend OmniFlash Uno, see
> http://store.compuapps.com/omunousbsmar.html

> It works out of the box, no kernel recompile, not even a driver
> required. It uses the usb-storage module that is included in kernel 2.4.
> What's more, the company *supports* linux. In addition, they charge only
> $20 :-))

> Mladen

Thanks for the tip; I went there over the weekend and ordered a CompactFlash
reader for $20/free shipping. Says it will work with Linux.

USB smartmedia readers

Post by Pau » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:44:17

> Hi,

> If anybody is in the market for a USB smartmedia card reader, I highly
> recommend OmniFlash Uno, see
> http://store.compuapps.com/omunousbsmar.html

> It works out of the box, no kernel recompile, not even a driver
> required. It uses the usb-storage module that is included in kernel 2.4.
> What's more, the company *supports* linux. In addition, they charge only
> $20 :-))

> Mladen

Great tp, got mine in the mail yesterday and took 10 min to configure
my lappie to use it.  Now I dont have to download my photos in
windows.  My camera isnt supported in Linux nor is the smart media
reader.  This little gem worked right out of the box so thumbs up for
someone actually making hardware that isnt software driven and that
will work with Linux

Hip Hip Horrayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Paul