pc doesn't boot without a Zip disk in the Zip Drive

pc doesn't boot without a Zip disk in the Zip Drive

Post by Jano » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:36:51

Hi,

Recently I've added a SCSI HDD to my system and it uses /dev/sda.
I also have an USB Zip drive that used to use /dev/sda4 which is not
available since I have the HDD on /dev/sda

So I used mknod  (mknod part4 b 8 4 in the appropriate directory) and
created a link in /dev directory: /dev/sdc4 ...
(the reason for not using /dev/sdb is that I also have an USB CF
reader)
Now I can mount my Zip drive and it works fine.
However, I have a problem during booting. I cannot boot unless I put a
Zip disk into the Zip drive.

I have Mandrake 8.2 and when it gets to the "checking for new
hardware" stage it stops. After waiting for a few minutes I decided to
insert a Zip disk and suddenly the boot process continued.
To avoid this I set kudzu (the program that does the new hardware
checking in Mandrake) to manual so there was no more "checking for new
hardware" during boot up.
However, the boot process stopped again at the stage of "starting the
system logger". Again, inserting a Zip disk made it continue.

What is wrong there?
How can I overcome this annoying problem?

Thanks

Janos

Post by Peter T. Breue » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:54:20

> However, the boot process stopped again at the stage of "starting the
> system logger". Again, inserting a Zip disk made it continue.
> What is wrong there?

Probablyyou forgot to put "noauto" in the fstab line for the zip.

Peter

pc doesn't boot without a Zip disk in the Zip Drive

Post by Jano » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:51:32

Hi,

I used to use supermount in the fstab but I also tried to use the
'traditional way' with or without 'noauto' option. Unfortunately the
behaviour was exactly the same.

I also tried to remove the reference to /dev/sdc4 from fstab. This
time there was no problem at boot time but I was not able the mount
the zip drive
manually. I always received the message:
mount: /dev/sdc4 is not a valid block device

Some more details:

in /proc/scsi/scsi:
Host: scsi2 Channel:00 ID:00 Lun:00
         Vendor: IOMEGA  Model: ZIP 100

in /dev/:
/dev/sdc4   ->  scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4

/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4:
brw------- 1 root root 8,   4   date time part4

Any idea what can be wrong here?

Thanks

Janos

Quote:

> Probablyyou forgot to put "noauto" in the fstab line for the zip.

> Peter

pc doesn't boot without a Zip disk in the Zip Drive

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:21:55

In the WRONG place. Please, please, please do not "TOP-POST". Fixed!

>> Probably you forgot to put "noauto" in the fstab line for the zip.
> I used to use supermount in the fstab but I also tried to use the
> 'traditional way' with or without 'noauto' option. Unfortunately the

"Tried"? What does that mean? Did you or didn't you? "Noauto" is the
one and only correct option.

Quote:> behaviour was exactly the same.

That's not possible.

Quote:> I also tried to remove the reference to /dev/sdc4 from fstab. This

Then if that has some effect, it implies that you did NOT use
the "noauto" option, because the meaning of that option is to
render the line invisible at bootup.

Quote:> time there was no problem at boot time but I was not able the mount

Just so, so please do it again, correctly this time. The line should
read:

  /dev/sdc4 /mnt/zip auto noauto 0 0

(you can replace the "auto" with "vfat" or "ext2" depending on what
type of FS you have on it - I left you with the scanning choice).

Quote:> the zip drive manually.

What you can and cannot do is not of interest. It's what the system can
and cannot do that is of interest. Just show the response to

  mount /dev/sdc4 /mnt/zip

Quote:> I always received the message:
> mount: /dev/sdc4 is not a valid block device

Well, the message is useless without the command that caused it!  But in
that case I would say that you do not have the driver for the zip
loaded.  Does your bootup sequence include "modprobe imm" (or whatever
the driver for your zip is?). And did you check to see that the driver
was loaded and that /proc/scsi/scsi was populated?

BTW - the message is NOT one I would expect from a mount command.
It should say .. OR ... something something. It doesn't know what the
state of affairs is just from the error it got.

Quote:> Some more details:
> in /proc/scsi/scsi:
> Host: scsi2 Channel:00 ID:00 Lun:00
>          Vendor: IOMEGA  Model: ZIP 100

This is a real scsi device? Or is adapter two some emulator?

Quote:> in /dev/:
> /dev/sdc4   ->  scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4
> /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4:
> brw------- 1 root root 8,   4   date time part4

This merely shows that your links are in order, and I  think you are
using devfs. So the fact that the latter target exists means that the
device is OK. So you must have written the mount command wrongly. Let
us see.

Quote:> Any idea what can be wrong here?

Not without more data. It looks like NOTHING is wrong and that the
error is somewhere between keyboard and chair ...!

Peter

pc doesn't boot without a Zip disk in the Zip Drive

Post by Jano » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 01:27:30

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I know it is hard to believe :) but even if I follow all the
instructions you gave the result is the same. There is nothing wrong
neither with my /dev/fstab nor with the way I am using 'mount'...

However, last night when I was collecting more information about my
system to post here I noticed that my USB CF card reader might be the
source of all
the troubles. Just like my USB Zip drive the CF reader is present in
the system as a SCSI device. But I never use it under linux so it is
not properly set up just happened to be plugged in for use under
Win98.

Anyway, as soon as I unplugged it there were no more problem with my
Zip drive.
I also figured out that if I change the order of the Zip drive and the
CF reader (now the Zip drive precedes the CF reader: Zip on scsi1, and
CF on scsi2) the
system still can boot up without any problem even after I've switched
back kudzu to automatic mode.

Although I still do not understand this behaviour at least I found out
what the problem was.

Thanks

Janos

p.s. I do not know what "TOP-POST" means. I simply follow the link at
the bottom of the last message.