IDE problem with Goldstar 8x CD-ROM

Post by Tomasz Tat » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello Linusers!

I have the following problem with my Goldstar 8x CD-ROM (GCD-R580B). I can
mount CD with no problems but when I read pretty long file (about 2 MB or
longer) it hangs for several (about 10) seconds and throws message:

hdd: irq timeout: status=0x58
hdd: ATAPI reset complete

Then it reads another part of data and hangs again, and so on to the end of
file. It happens when I access file with something that requires some CPU
work - for example:

"tar ztf linux-2.0.30.tar.gz" hangs,
"cp linux-2.0.30.tar.gz /usr/src" hangs, but
"cat linux-2.0.30.tar.gz > /dev/null" doesn't!

It looks like* entire IDE channel because hard disk connected to the
same channel also hangs. Disks on the other channel and the rest of the
system works fine. I looked for those messages in kernel sources (2.0.30)
and found them in drivers/block/ide.c.

The problem doesn't appear in DOS, FreeBSD and (!) Linux 1.2.13. It appears
in Linux 2.0.0 and 2.0.30. It seems that some clever code has been
introduced into IDE driver (ide.c or ide-cd.c) somewhere between 1.2.13 and
2.0.0 that is not compatible with my CD-ROM (I believe it's problem with my
hardware because my friends haven't such problems with their Philips 8x and
Toshiba 12x).

The help I need:
1. Explanation of the problem - what's going on, where's the fault?
2. Solution - how can I work around this (ideal would be kernel patch)?
   Maybe it's possible to incorporate old IDE (ATAPI) driver from kernel
   1.2.13 into recent kernels? I can accept loss of several percent
   performance on my disks - just to bring CD-ROM to work right.

Any help, ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Regards!

--
Tomasz M. Tatar

http://www.veryComputer.com/~tatar/tatar.html

IDE problem with Goldstar 8x CD-ROM

Post by *jdjord.. » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure how correct what I'm about to say is, but from the stuff I have
read on IDE drives, if linux is reading stuff from the CD, the you won't be
able to get stuff off anything else on the IDE chanel until it is done with
the CD, because with IDE unlike SCSI you can only access one thing at a time,
so I beleive that would be the reason the IDE channel hangs... As to why your
CD-ROM isn't working, I have no idea.

JD

[...]

: --
: Tomasz M. Tatar

: http://www.veryComputer.com/~tatar/tatar.html

--
J.D. Jordan

(remove the *'s to email me)

IDE problem with Goldstar 8x CD-ROM

Post by Tomasz Tat » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have the following problem with my Goldstar 8x CD-ROM (GCD-R580B). I can
> mount CD with no problems but when I read pretty long file (about 2 MB or
> longer) it hangs for several (about 10) seconds and throws message:

> hdd: irq timeout: status=0x58
> hdd: ATAPI reset complete

I've got explanation of the problem from Gadi Oxman - one of the maintainers
of the linux/drivers/block/ide.c. He says that some of the GCD-R580B cdroms
have bug in firmware - read requests for more than 64 KB are handled
incorrectly. This bug has been work-arounded in kernel 2.0.31 and above.

I've upgraded my 2.0.30 to 2.0.33 and it really works right now! Thanks!

But now another problem appeared with my CD-ROM. It works very strange when
trying to read audio tracks to disk. I'm using cdda2wav 0.8 and never can
read entire track successfully. It usually read nothing (just creating wav
file header), sometimes it reads first few seconds of a track, the longest
wav read had less than 2 MB - it's about 9 seconds of music. How much it
reads, it depend on the audio CD and choosen track and results are
repeatable (even "retries" warnings are similar). At last cdda2wav ends with
error message:

Sorry, this driver and/or drive does not support cdda reading.
cooked: Read cdda : I/O error

You'll say that apparently my CD-ROM doesn't support direct reading - so why
it reads something sometimes? Moreover, it reads audio tracks under DOS with
pleasure. So, I suspect it's something wrong with cdda2wav or CDROMREADAUDIO
implementation in the linux/drivers/block/ide-cd.c - any ideas?

--
Tomasz M. Tatar

http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~tatar/tatar.html

1. Goldstar 8x CD-ROM

Help! I can't get my boot disk to recongize my CD-ROM drive so I
can install Linux "Slackware 3.0". It's a standard EIDE CD-ROM drive
and I've used both kernel versions that are supposed to support
IDE cd-roms. I really want to get this installed since I have this
500MB partition just sitting there that confuses the hell out of
windows already...

                               Sebek

2. 420 with a 5200

3. Q: IDE Hitachi 8X ATAPI-BUS IDE (CDR-7930) CD-ROM

4. Kernel symbols unavailable to my module

5. Goldstar 8X CD ROM

6. Career move?

7. Sony CDU311 8x IDE CD-ROM Drive

8. Partition an IDE or syjet 1.5?

9. Performance 8X IDE CD-ROM

10. Acer 8x IDE CD-ROM

11. Got 8x Sound Blaster IDE CD-ROM to work

12. Performance 8X IDE CD-ROM

13. Goldstar IDE CD-ROM not recognized