Dell poweredge 2450, adaptec 7899 scsi controller, setting up raid

Dell poweredge 2450, adaptec 7899 scsi controller, setting up raid

Post by maelmor » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,
I recently got a dell poweredge 2450 server, and am having an amusing time
trying to get any distros to recognize the raid controller and how to play
w/ it.

Box info:
    Dell poweredge 2450
    dual p3-733
    1 gb ram
    4 9g ultra3 scsi drives, will be using raid5
    poweredge raid 3/si controller
    adaptec aic-7899 scsi controller

Tried FreeBSD 4.0.. it found the controller, but couldnt figure out quite
what to do with it. Will try 5.0 later, in case a newer driver is avail.

Have tried using somewhat older distros of slackware/suse/debian that I had
lying around, and will try the most recent ones as soon as they finish
burning.

Has anyone setup one of these servers with linux/*bsd?

Dell poweredge 2450, adaptec 7899 scsi controller, setting up raid

Post by Gabor 'Morc' Kormo » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

  Hi maelmord,

  I "have" some 2450s too, and although they were factory preinstalled with
RH6.1/RH6.2 they work fine. I would advise you to get a RH6.2. And by the way on
which do you want to have the boot drive, 'cos all "my" servers boot from RAID1
from a PERC 2/DC and not from the mb integrated 7899, but I think it wouldn't
make any difference (maybe you have to choose expert mode at the beginning of
installation and load the proper drivers).

  Regards, Morc.