Linux and ISDN ISA TAs (plus the incredible Ascend Pipeline 25)

Linux and ISDN ISA TAs (plus the incredible Ascend Pipeline 25)

Post by Ken Onwer » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Which of the following ISDN ISA TAs would you recommend for a Linux
box, running version 2.0.8 on a Pentium-133 32meg RAM system: Motorola
BSP ISA TA, USR 128 ISA TA, and the 3com ISA TA (all internal PC cards
?)  I'm looking for multilink PPP support, sync PPP (or at least decent
async PPP), throughput much closer to 16Kbytes/second (as opposed to
10Kbytes per second), and ofcourse, "seamless" support for PPPD and
CHAT.  I'd sure appreciate any response.

        BTW, I had the luxury of trying out an old ascend pipline 25 for a few
weeks.  I must confess - an ISDN "modem" the pipeline 25 is NOT!  It is
incredible that a $700 plus box does not support simple dynamic PPP, or
clear text, dumb terminal, PC-to-PC ISDN calls.  Amazing!

        Finally, I must commend GTE for for the accuracy, effeciency, and speed
with which they installed my ISDN line.  My line was installed in 7 days
flat, ahead of thier own schedule!  Within this 7 day period, they
visited my residence three times to check my existing service for ISDN
suitabilty, install/provision my BRI, and cater to my unwavering
indecisiveness!  In additon, I received all the setup information I
needed promptly, and followup calls to see how I liked the service.
It's amazing how this service now compares with PacBell's ISDN
"everywhere".  I've got some colleagues who are still waiting for a call
from PacBell, to initiate an order they placed 5 weeks ago!  If only GTE
would eliminate round-the-clock measured service.  That's the only
drawback with their service.

Ken Onwere

Post by Carlos Domingu » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Which of the following ISDN ISA TAs would you recommend for a Linux
>box, running version 2.0.8 on a Pentium-133 32meg RAM system: Motorola

I'd probably go with a spell-caster (sp?) ISDN NIC. It was designed for Linux,
does not require pppd, and has support for NT and Win95 (if you need those
environments). I don't know if it has any POTS jacks though.

They have a ad in this months linux journal, and a probably a web site with
more info. Scan yahoo and you should find them.

I personally use a bitsurfr pro, since it suits my needs, is external, drives
2 POTS jacks and has not given me any problems at all. It also supports
DOSBS which is *very* useful here in NYNEX land.

Carlos

--

(c) Carlos Dominguez, 1996
Commercial use of this message or its export to email registries are forbidden.

1. Do Ascend Pipeline 25 or Combinet 10x0 work with Linux

I would like to know if the Ascend Pipeline 25 work with Linux?  I know that
there is a Combinet 10x0 driver for Linux, but wonder if I can use
both Combinet 10x0 and Pipeline 25 on the same machine to two different BRI's,
or two Combinet 10x0 on the same machine to two BRI's?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

2. SBLife and Linux: Supported?

3. Ascend Pipeline 25 works with Linux?

4. apsfilter HP850c

5. Linux ISDN card <-> Ascend Pipeline 50 DX?

6. Looking for Lynx

7. kde font problem

8. Pipeline 25/ISDN router shows constant WAN activity

9. Help w/ ISDN: Ascend Pipeline

10. ISDN: Ascend Pipeline Q

11. Problem with Ascend Pipeline 130 ISDN/T1 router

12. ISDN & Ascend Pipeline 50