How well does Qlogic PCI SCSI controller work with Linux?

How well does Qlogic PCI SCSI controller work with Linux?

Post by Scott Kenne » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm thinking about getting a PCI Qlogic SCSI controller (the fast/wide
version).  I need to know whether or not it supports multiple
outstanding commands, connect/disconnect (Does it let one SCSI device,
say a tape drive, detach from the bus while another device, say a hard
drive, is operating?  I've heard this used to be a *big* problem on
the NCR SCSI adapters), and does it negotiate for a wide transfer
(in other words, does the driver take full advantage of its
capabilities?)???  I grabbed the readme file for the Qlogic kernel
patch off of sunsite.unc.edu and from what I've been able to
determine the Qlogic driver can do all of the things I just
mentioned.  So, basically, I'd just like to get someone's
informed opinion on how well this driver works and how stable
it is.  I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the patch was supposed
to be applied to version 1.2.13 of the kernel.  Is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm not a hardware guru
so I could really use some assistance.  BTW, what kind of
transfer rate could one typically get with this card and how
does it compare with fast/wide controllers made by NCR,
Adaptec, and Buslogic?  My understanding is that this
controller has a RISC processor on-board which I presume
would offload a lot of I/O chores from the system CPU
and thus increase throughput and lessen CPU utilization.
BTW, Insight sells this adapter for $289 (US dollars).
Is this a good price for one of these?

---Scott

P.S., is there a kernel image available that *already* has
support for this driver?  I'd really like to be able to
boot-up with a kernel that will automatically recognize
this controller...this will save me the trouble of
having to boot-up on a different controller and then
making a kernel that has Qlogic support in it.