3c509 ethernet and IBM aptiva 486 DX2 66

3c509 ethernet and IBM aptiva 486 DX2 66

Post by John Ahlber » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I made two installations of Linux Slackware 96 on two different computers,
the installations was identical.

The first computer was a "noname" pentium and the other one a IBM aptiva
486 DX2 66. On the pentium everything is Ok. But on the IBM Linux dont
find the 3c509 ethernet card.

The IBM also run Windows 95 and ther is no problem with the card when
Windows is running. I tried to configure the card with different adresses
and different irq, I also tried to use boot parameters such as "LILO
ether=9,0x210".

The IBM did find the card once, and I was abel to ping the pentium and also
do ftp between them, when i rebooted the IBM without any changes it dident
find the card.

I tried almost eveything I colud think of but the computer found the card
only one time.

I use the bare kernel and the rc.modules command modprobe 3c509 to install
the card at boot up, it works on the pentium but not on the IBM why ?

--

Post by hikmat farha » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I made two installations of Linux Slackware 96 on two different compute=
rs,
> the installations was identical.

> The first computer was a "noname" pentium and the other one a IBM aptiv=
> 486 DX2 66. On the pentium everything is Ok. But on the IBM Linux don=B4=
> find the 3c509 ethernet card.

> The IBM also run Windows 95 and ther is no problem with the card when
> Windows is running. I tried to configure the card with different adress=
es
> and different irq, I also tried to use boot parameters such as "LILO
> ether=3D9,0x210".

> The IBM did find the card once, and I was abel to ping the pentium and =
also
> do ftp between them, when i rebooted the IBM without any changes it did=
ent
> find the card.

> I tried almost eveything I colud think of but the computer found the ca=
rd
> only one time.

> I use the bare kernel and the rc.modules command modprobe 3c509 to inst=
all
> the card at boot up, it works on the pentium but not on the IBM why ?

> --

  are you sure you have the right driver for the 3c509?
i had the same problem with the 3c900 last year the i had to pick up the =
right
driver from
the net ,then everything worked fine

1. Performance Increase: 486/DX2 66 to 486/DX4 100

I'd like to know what kind of a performance increase I can
expect by swapping my 486/DX2 66 for an AMD 486/DX4 100, and by getting a
motherboard (VLB) with 256K cache (my current board has no external
cache).

        Also, how much of an increase would I get over the above by
putting in a 486/DX5 120?  And how much more would it cost me?

2. Help with Xwindows

3. which distribution will work on old 486 DX2/66

4. Q regarding for loop

5. '92 Gateway 486/66 DX2 and Linux, any luck?

6. Netscape crashing (!)

7. How many users can I get on a 486 DX2 66 server?

8. Fax board suggestions???

9. Why does my 486 DX2 66 register 0.78 BogoMips (no turbo switch) ?

10. Acer Acros 486 DX2/66 - 12 MB cool, 16 MB crash - please help

11. 486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

12. 486 DX2-66 Speed?

13. 486 DX2/66 Okay for ipfwadm?