Netcomm Automodem 144 not working?!

Post by Daniel Sil » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I have set up many modems in my time, but this external Netcomm Automodem
144 is giving me the shits!

This is what I have done :

- Setup rc.serial for /dev/cua1 (com2) and put rc.serial in rc.S
- Downloaded kermit and tried to test it w/out success.

Kermit tells me that /dev/cua1 is not a terminal device, and when I set it
up as a dial-in line, I get an IO error in the syslog (running either getty
or agetty)

It works fine under DOS though.

Any help would be most appreciated if you could email me at one of the
below addresses.

------- Daniel Sills - WWW Developer/Programmer - 067 735117 ----------
- Animal Science, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, Australia -

1. Netcomm AutoModem E7F problems - help?

Could some kind soul help me out here.

My modem seems to go in "slow motion" by a fatcor of around 20 when I dial in
or out!

I have a Netcomm AutoModem E7F (14.4k) which is running on COM2 (/dev/cua1)
which is a 16450 UART (set my max speed to 9600).

I am using a network card that uses interrupt 3 so I have setserial like this :

/bin/seterial -b /dev/cua1 uart 16450 port 0x2F8 irq 5

IRQ 5 is not used on my system - even tried IRQ 7 just in case.

Which seems to work under kermit, but the lag after typing something in is
around 20-30 seconds!

The modem works fine under DOS.

Could someone help me? Email (addr in sig) is preferred since I dont get on to
the news very much.

------- Daniel Sills - WWW Developer/Programmer - 067 735117 ----------
- Animal Science, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, Australia -

2. Top 10 posters comp.unix.shell

3. NetComm Internal Modem works with Windows 95 but not Red Hat Linux 5.2.

4. HELP! Need data from BAD Floopy!

5. rdump setup question

6. CPU problem

7. 144 AMSP Modem Fax D/V/S Sound Card

8. How to make a bootimage disk, like the bootdsks.144 ins slackware.

9. Apache 1.1.1 wants to connect to 141.211.144.40

10. Bootdsks.144 is mess up in sunsite, where else can I get it ?