E-IDE WD310000 1GB harddisk >1024 cyl with linux ?

E-IDE WD310000 1GB harddisk >1024 cyl with linux ?

Post by Jon Lewi » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 08:21:53

Quote:

> Hi everybody,

> I just went to upgrade my 486/50DX to a pentium 90 with thew Intel Plato
> mainboard wich has 2 E-IDE channels onboard. The bios allows addressing more
> then 1024 cylinders under DOS/Windows but when I try to install the Linux
> Slackware by booting the install disks (1.0) it yields that it has detected a
> harddisk with more than 16 heads for my two hardisks (HD0=WD31000 1GB,
> HD1=Micropolis 540MB). I login under root and try to run fdisk on /dev/hda &
> /dev/hdb, both giving me an error like "cannot access (or read,...) /dev/hd?".

>   -  Does this stop when I purchase the new Slackware version ?

I believe so.

Quote:>   -  Is the root partition above 1024 clylinders supported or not. I've read
>      many articles about this in this group and some state yes (kind of "I did
>      it") some yield no (kind of "I know it")

Depending on your configuration, yes.  I'm running Linux at home on a
single partition.  I installed slackware 2.1 on the last 400MB of my
wd2850.  My system supports LBA and has it turned on.  The kernel reports
the drives as being:

hda: WDC AC2540H, 515MB w/128KB Cache, LBA, CHS=524/32/63, Mult=0/16
hdb: WDC AC2850F, 814MB w/64KB Cache, LBA, CHS=827/32/63, Mult=0/16

Lilo is installed on the MBR of hda, but hda is entirely devoted to Dos
as is the first half of hdb.

When my server at school had a lilo mis-config and became unbootable, I
tried the slackware 2.0.2 bootdisk (thats the slackware version I
installed originally on that system) and it would not recognize the
wd2540 in that system.  That system has a 2540 as / and a 2200 as /home.
The 2540 had been added some months after installing Linux.  I had to
download and create the slackware 2.1 boot disk to repair lilo on the
2540.

Quote:>   -  Which is the lowest slackware version with which it works

I believe you'll need 2.1...the Dec94 Infomagic Linux Developer's
Resource is a good set (I installed at home from it)...though any CD set
quickly becomes outdated...especially the sunsite mirror portion.

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu

Post by GASTON GLOESEN » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 17:15:21

[...]

  -  Or simply am I wrong somewhere

Thank you very much for any hints,

Gast Gloesener

1. Linux eats Dos on harddisk > 1024 cyl

Hello,

I see a lot of postings related to problems with large
hard disk drives (with more than 1024 cylinders). My problem
seems to be different however.

After completely filling my Linux filesystem with zero's using
the command : dd if=/dev/zero of=/test0 bs=1024 count=140000
I can't boot anymore from Dos. (missing operating system).

Using Norton's diskedit it appeared that the bootsector and FAT1 were
filled with zero's. I tried tricks like not using the last 5 cylinders
of the disk for the Linux partition, but this did not work. Furthermore
I tried to make 2 Linux partitions, but I get the same problems for the
partition which ends after cylinder 1023.

After restoring the Dos information, the test0 file on the Linux-
partitions show some other data than zero's

The problem seems only to appear if the last 400 or so bytes of the disk
are filled (after trying filling the disk in small steps), but I'm not
sure about this.

After shrinking the Linux partition to use 1023 as the last cylinder I
had no problems anymore, but I miss 30Mb of disk space.

Please note that no Linux boot problems did occurr, probably
because Linux is booted with LOADLIN.EXE from Dos.

The relevant hardware I use is as follows:

Micropolis 560Mb: 1084 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sector
Longshine IDE-cache controller
Ami-Bios

Dos 6.2 is installed on the cylinders 1-820
Linux was installed on the cylinders 821-1083

Can someone give me a clue how to fix this problem ?

Please post in this newsgroup or mail me

Thanks!

2. Dumb newb with a D-Link card

3. IDE cyls>1024, DOS + Linux problems

4. mail between uucp and smtp

5. IDE with >1024 cyl and Dynamic Drive Config?

6. Multiple Displays on Solaris x86

7. >1024 cyl README.ide

8. Macromedia Flash - development tools, support in community etc.

9. ide hd >1024 cyls

10. LILO and IDE drive > 1024 cyls

11. Installing linux on > 1024 Cyl

12. Linux install problems > 1024 cyl hd...

13. Can I boot Linux on SCSI partition > 1024 cyl?