1. Lost characters from serial port (kernel bug ?)
Hi there !
First of all I would like to thank you very much for the
superb linux system.
However, there are some small problems which I can`t solve...
When I am running X, the serial port is loosing characters. ( >= 9600 baud)
This happens as soon as the window is scrolling (only then).
I hooked up my oscilloscope to the IRQ-line. Every time a character
is lost it looks like the Xserver is disabling interrupt for 10 ms.
I recompiled the kernel for having the serial interrupts at every character,
not just after 13 characters in the buffer or so. It helped a little.
I suspect that something is wrong with the interrupt-priorities
in the linux kernel. How is the interrupt-controller chips set up ?
Do linux use rotating priorities ?
Can the problem have anything to do with timer0 which has the highest priority.
Or are things set up in some other way on these chips ???
I am using a Pentium 60 Mhz, Intel motherboard, 16 M ram,
Conner cfp1060 disk (the one with the bug). buslogic 445.
S3 928 pci-graphics. Serial chips 16550A, I tried the ones on my
motherboard and through a isa-bus slot on the modem.
I have a friend with a 485 dx 50 , 4Mram , Tseng W32
where things are working perfectly.
I also had this problem (I think, I'm not 100 % sure I have tested it)
on my old computer (cyrix 33mhz 486, with 4 Mram, Video7 graphics).
I used Linux kernel 1.1.8 slackware.
I have tried kernel 1.1.75 with similar results.
I have tried both X-version 2.1 and 2.1.1 and 3.0
I fetched the source for X11R6, I have searched for some CLI-instructions,
but I havn't found too many...
I am writing a program which uses memory mapped files.
It only works for reading, when the memory contents is updated,
it is not wrtten to disk after a close...
I have not yet checked with latest kernel and tools.
Is it supported yet ???
Have a nice time...
Linux hacker MtM
in real life: Magnus Persson
2. And now, problems with glade ion Solaris(gtk-GUI)?????
3. serial printer loses characters--- help please!
4. HELP!!!! I getting garbage letters on my terminal (Which sucks!)
5. disabled serial port echoes characters back - how can i stop it
6. Best GCC options for Motif and Linux?
7. help, no characters on serial ports!
8. UPS software for solaris?
9. Single character input via serial port
10. Serial port character loss
11. "Help needed : read special character from serial port"
12. HOW to Send my characters to Serial Port
13. Help needed : read special character from serial port