flightgear & microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro

flightgear & microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro

Post by Gerard H. Pill » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:35:39

Hallo,

Having problems with the above mentioned.  Probably not a config
problem, since jscalibrator and a program like SearchAndRescue have no
problems.

But flightgear's js_demo fails to notice movement of the joystick, exept
for the buttons and when I move the hat, two of the +0 change to -0.

Any advice, or better places to put my problem are very well come.

--

Gerard H. Pille

flightgear & microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:17:07

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:35:39 +0100, Gerard H. Pille staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> Having problems with the microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro.
> Probably not a config problem, since jscalibrator and a program like
> SearchAndRescue have no problems.  But flightgear's js_demo fails to
> notice movement of the joystick, exept for the buttons and when I move
> the hat, two of the +0 change to -0.

Is this a USB joystick or a 15-pin joystick?  Which module are you using
to drive it?  You should be using the "sidewinder" module, not "analog"
if this is 15-pin, since "analog" will only get you a small subset of
the joystick's functionality.  If the thing is USB, you should probably
be using "hid" instead.  Use "lsmod" to find out which modules are
currently loaded.  "dmesg | grep -A6 -i sidewinder" would also provide
useful information.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Gerard H. Pill » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:16:15

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:35:39 +0100, Gerard H. Pille staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:

>>Having problems with the microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro.
>>Probably not a config problem, since jscalibrator and a program like
>>SearchAndRescue have no problems.  But flightgear's js_demo fails to
>>notice movement of the joystick, exept for the buttons and when I move
>>the hat, two of the +0 change to -0.

> Is this a USB joystick or a 15-pin joystick?  Which module are you using
> to drive it?  You should be using the "sidewinder" module, not "analog"
> if this is 15-pin, since "analog" will only get you a small subset of
> the joystick's functionality.  If the thing is USB, you should probably
> be using "hid" instead.  Use "lsmod" to find out which modules are
> currently loaded.  "dmesg | grep -A6 -i sidewinder" would also provide
> useful information.

Oh, sorry, didn't know this one came in USB too.

sidewinder              8304   0  (unused)
joydev                  6912   0
input                   3456   0  [sidewinder joydev]
emu10k1-gp              1232   0  (autoclean) (unused)
gameport                1552   0  (autoclean) [sidewinder emu10k1-gp]

input0: Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro [AC on] on gameport0.0
[3-bit id 14 data 16]

kernel and modules are 2.4.20-pre11

--

Gerard H. Pille

flightgear & microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro

Post by Dances With Crow » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:01:53

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:16:15 +0100, Gerard H. Pille staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:35:39 +0100, Gerard H. Pille staggered into
>> the Black Sun and said:

>>>Having problems with the microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro.
>>>Probably not a config problem, since jscalibrator and a program like
>>>SearchAndRescue have no problems.  But flightgear's js_demo fails to
>>>notice movement of the joystick, exept for the buttons and when I
>>>move the hat, two of the +0 change to -0.

>> Is this a USB joystick or a 15-pin joystick?  Which module are you
>> using to drive it?  You should be using the "sidewinder" module, not
>> "analog" if this is 15-pin, since "analog" will only get you a small
> sidewinder              8304   0  (unused)
> joydev                  6912   0
> input                   3456   0  [sidewinder joydev]
> emu10k1-gp              1232   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> gameport                1552   0  (autoclean) [sidewinder emu10k1-gp]

> input0: Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro [AC on] on gameport0.0
> [3-bit id 14 data 16]

> kernel and modules are 2.4.20-pre11

OK, everything *should* be working correctly from this information.  Hm.
What's "jstest" say about the joystick?  filghtgear's js_demo *might* be
doing something weird, since joysticks with hats typically report the
hats as additional axes, and if js_demo is only expecting 2 axes, it
could do something dumb.

Don't know about the -pre kernel either... could someone have been
mucking around in the input layer in this prepatch?  If you have another
kernel lying around, you might want to try that one and see if you get
different results.

Post by Gerard H. Pill » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:04:20

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:16:15 +0100, Gerard H. Pille staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:

>>>Is this a USB joystick or a 15-pin joystick?  Which module are you
>>>using to drive it?  You should be using the "sidewinder" module, not
>>>"analog" if this is 15-pin, since "analog" will only get you a small

>>sidewinder              8304   0  (unused)
>>joydev                  6912   0
>>input                   3456   0  [sidewinder joydev]
>>emu10k1-gp              1232   0  (autoclean) (unused)
>>gameport                1552   0  (autoclean) [sidewinder emu10k1-gp]

>>input0: Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro [AC on] on gameport0.0
>>[3-bit id 14 data 16]

>>kernel and modules are 2.4.20-pre11

> OK, everything *should* be working correctly from this information.  Hm.
> What's "jstest" say about the joystick?  filghtgear's js_demo *might* be
> doing something weird, since joysticks with hats typically report the
> hats as additional axes, and if js_demo is only expecting 2 axes, it
> could do something dumb.

> Don't know about the -pre kernel either... could someone have been
> mucking around in the input layer in this prepatch?  If you have another
> kernel lying around, you might want to try that one and see if you get
> different results.

You are right, everything *is* working.

???????????????????????????????????????

I wanted to run jstest once again, because I had noticed it only
reported values up to 1024, while man was talking about 32565 something.

I started jstest as root, and had values into 32000.  js_demo working too.

The only change I remember was /etc/modules.conf, because I had a
non-working:

post-install emu10k1-gp modprobe joydev
post-install emu10k1-gp modprobe sidewinder

and now:

post-install emu10k1-gp modprobe joydev
post-install joydev modprobe sidewinder

and fgjs working too, and it's weekend, I'll be flying

if it still works tomorrow

Thanks and sorry for the bothering you for nothing

--

Gerard H. Pille

1. Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick

I'm trying to do some research on the Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick
made by microsoft, but I'm taking the Linux route.  I have been able to
activate the joystick and using it as a normal joystick on linux.  I'm
currently developing a "hello world" application for it just to see if I
can do so.  (If anyone has any helpful applications already made, I
would apprecitate them).  But I was wondering if anyone has been able to
access the force feedback capabilities of the Sidewinder.  I don't know
as of yet how to do so, but I'm working on it.  I would really apprecite
any information about it.  Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Configuring and saving desktop settings...

3. Reg. Microsoft sidewinder 3d pro joystick on linux

4. WordPerfect cut&paste

5. driver for Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick, in digital mode?

6. Crashing under 2.0.29?

7. Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad

8. printing: root vs user

9. Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad Setup - Mandrake 8.0

10. joystick module and microsoft sidewinder gamepad

11. microsoft sidewinder

12. Joystick driver for ADB port using CH FLightstick Pro/Sidewinder

13. anyone have a sidewinder precision pro 2 usb?