More SCSI Troubles

Post by Joseph Purvi » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

        OK...for those of you that read my recent post, my boss was able
to pull some funding, and we've replaced the Adaptec 1740 SCSi controller
that I had with a 2740.  For those who didn't, I'm now running a 486
DX/50 EISA machine with 64MB of RAM.  It has two SCSI hard drives, both
1.6 gig, that I'm having a little trouble "finding", so to speak.
        Here's the problem.  I went to Red Hat's website (I'm trying to
install Red Hat 4.0) and grabbed a new boot disk image they had
specifically for Adaptec AIC7xxx cards, of which this 2740 is one.  I
booted with it, and lo and behold! it found the card, which was more than
message, and I don't know how to fix it (reproduced here with line wrapping):
        aic7xxx: Downloading sequencer code...done.
        aic7xxx: Host adapter BIOS disable.  Using default SCSI device parameters.
                scsi0: Adaptec AHA 274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast
                        SCSI) 3.4/3.2/3.1
                scsi: 1 host.
                scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
        aic7xxx: (aic7xxx_isr) Encountered spurious interrupt.

        At this point, the install freezes, and won't go further, forcing
me to reboot, at which point I get the same message.  Adaptec, of course,
doesn't support LINUX, or I'd ask them, so I thought I'd post it here and
see whther anyone had any good ideas to try.  Reply by email or Reply
posting--either is fine.  :)

                        Thanks in advance,

                        Joseph Purvis

                     "My words fly up, on wings inspired,
                     and, hoo boy, are my metaphors tired."
                          --from a bad poetry contest.

More SCSI Troubles

Post by Donovan Read » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

>         OK...for those of you that read my recent post, my boss was able
> to pull some funding, and we've replaced the Adaptec 1740 SCSi controller
> that I had with a 2740.  For those who didn't, I'm now running a 486
> DX/50 EISA machine with 64MB of RAM.  It has two SCSI hard drives, both
> 1.6 gig, that I'm having a little trouble "finding", so to speak.
>         Here's the problem.  I went to Red Hat's website (I'm trying to
> install Red Hat 4.0) and grabbed a new boot disk image they had
> specifically for Adaptec AIC7xxx cards, of which this 2740 is one.  I
> booted with it, and lo and behold! it found the card, which was more than
> message, and I don't know how to fix it (reproduced here with line wrapping):
>         aic7xxx: Downloading sequencer code...done.
>         aic7xxx: Host adapter BIOS disable.  Using default SCSI device parameters.
>                 scsi0: Adaptec AHA 274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast
>                         SCSI) 3.4/3.2/3.1
>                 scsi: 1 host.
>                 scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
>         aic7xxx: (aic7xxx_isr) Encountered spurious interrupt.

>         At this point, the install freezes, and won't go further, forcing
> me to reboot, at which point I get the same message.  Adaptec, of course,
> doesn't support LINUX, or I'd ask them, so I thought I'd post it here and
> see whther anyone had any good ideas to try.  Reply by email or Reply
> posting--either is fine.  :)

>                         Thanks in advance,

>                         Joseph Purvis

Can we assume that you ran the EISA config and set up the 2740? What
make is the mainboard? Examine the source for the driver to see if it
expects to be at a particular IRQ/address, and reconfigure the EISA to
match.

Let us know...
--

Donovan Ready,
Lindsay Computer Systems

Before sending unsolicited e-mail, be sure to see
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html

More SCSI Troubles

Post by Joseph Purvi » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

        OK...the "spurious interrupt" message went away after I changed
my SCSI drive to ID 1 (it had been at ID 0--which the install insisted
was the ID for the *card*).  I have a new problem now, however, which has
been articulated once before on this newsgroup but not answered.
        I have replaced the 1740 SCSI card with an Adaptec 2740, and I
fetched the new boot image for the "AIC7xxx"-series SCSI shipset, which
this card uses.  Using that boot image, I can get the boot to recognize
the card, and it runs fine...until it prompts me at the end to "Insert
root floppy disk to be loaded into ramdisk...".  I insert my boot floppy
like I'm supposed to, and it returns, "Couldn't find valid ramdisk image
starting at 600", and spews error codes to the screen.  Now, when I boot
using the regular boot disk, it spews different error codes, but it says
before it does this, "Ramdisk image found at 500".  If the AIC7xxx boot
image looks for the ramdisk in a different place, how can I ever insert a
"good" boot floppy?  Anyone encounter this one and solve it?
        For hardware specs, this is a 486 DX50 with a DTK brand EISA
motherboard.  The card is an Adaptec 2740, with two Micropolis 1.6 gig
drives (both of which I'd eventually like to hook up--only one is
connected right now.)  I've tried using boot images for the AIC7xxx from
Red Hat 4.0 and 4.1, including the "old" or "alternate" AIC7xxx image
provided on the FTP site.
        As a side note, one set of boot floppies (I can't remember which)
returned the error message "Kernel Panic: VFS: Free block list
corrupted".  I'm assuming that's related, but I don't know enough about
hardware or LINUX to be able to tell how...
        Good luck, all!  Thanks in advance...

                        --Joseph

                     "My words fly up, on wings inspired,
                     and, hoo boy, are my metaphors tired."
                          --from a bad poetry contest.

1. Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

Hello Group,

After spending a day on installing an Oracle database to 7025 F80 i was hit
by a rock.

Suddenly I got SCSI sync error and the machine was dead.

The leds on the tape drive was all flashing.

No commands were available - I was out of disks. No telnet nor nothing
working except dumb ping.

So I pressed reset. All the tests are fine after reboot - but how am I
supposed to run a db on it ?

Can I trust this machine any more ? What nightmare was it ?

I read log report and got a message to check SCSI cable or SCSI device. Buth
how on earth can a SCSI work fine for hours and then crash without warning ?

Any comments ?

Andrej

2. stat() bug or feature in 3.2.1+ ?

3. SCSI tape trouble (SCSI timeouts)

4. Can Samuel Igwe do the world a favor (EDIT.EXE)?

5. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...

6. Internet by e-mail ...

7. LILO / scsi-ide boot troubles

8. boot probs.

9. Trouble getting Adaptec SCSI controller to work with isapnp

10. Trouble mounting a SCSI CD recorder

11. Trouble booting to new SCSI drive

12. trouble installing SCSI AHA-2930 card

13. trouble with cdburning / ide-scsi