SCSI, we hates it, we hates it forever

Post by Tristan Willia » Tue, 13 May 2003 15:17:39

<snip>

Do the Yamaha & Plextor work correctly if the scanner is not connected
to the SCSI chain?

Kind regards,

Tristan Williams

Post by Simon J. Row » Tue, 13 May 2003 19:51:25

> Do the Yamaha & Plextor work correctly if the scanner is not connected
> to the SCSI chain?

Yes, they do, in Linux, Win98 and WinNT.

        Simon

SCSI, we hates it, we hates it forever

Post by Simon J. Row » Wed, 14 May 2003 16:24:57

Rather strangely if I replace the Plextor with a Toshiba drive, everything
works as expected.

Are Plextors known to be fussy? I thought they were supposed to be superior
drives.

        Simon

Post by Davi » Thu, 15 May 2003 12:45:06

>> Do the Yamaha & Plextor work correctly if the scanner is not connected
>> to the SCSI chain?

> Yes, they do, in Linux, Win98 and WinNT.

>         Simon

Are you using a internal 50 pin flat ribbon cable and a external HD 50 pin
cable.  The Adaptec series cards DO not like this arrangement.  You can
find out if this is your problem if you just remove the external cable and
than reboot your box. If it boots properly than you know that this is the
cause of your problem.

FWIW I banged my head along time before I figured out what was going on with
my scsi.

Goog luck

Post by Michael Buchenriede » Thu, 15 May 2003 15:23:41

>>> Do the Yamaha & Plextor work correctly if the scanner is not connected
>>> to the SCSI chain?

>> Yes, they do, in Linux, Win98 and WinNT.

>>         Simon
>Are you using a internal 50 pin flat ribbon cable and a external HD 50 pin
>cable.  The Adaptec series cards DO not like this arrangement.

Rubbish.

[...]

Quote:>FWIW I banged my head along time before I figured out what was going on with
>my scsi.

This setup works just fine - you just have to adjust the controller's
termination settings manually, as the automatic feature doesn't work.

Michael

Post by Simon J. Row » Fri, 16 May 2003 17:33:26

> Are you using a internal 50 pin flat ribbon cable and a external HD 50 pin
> cable.  The Adaptec series cards DO not like this arrangement.  You can
> find out if this is your problem if you just remove the external cable and
> than reboot your box. If it boots properly than you know that this is the
> cause of your problem.

Yes, The CDs are on the internal cable and the scanner on a HD50 to
Centronics cable. Are you sure this is an unsupported configuration? I know
the early 2940s would not handle use of the internal 50way, 68way and
external connector simultaneously.

I've been through so many combinations I've forgot what does and doesn't
work :-( I'll grab a few beers and try again...

        Simon

Post by Simon J. Row » Fri, 16 May 2003 17:35:32

> This setup works just fine - you just have to adjust the controller's
> termination settings manually, as the automatic feature doesn't work.

Ah, that's interesting. It will be a pain if the auto setting doesn't do
what it says on the tin. I don't always power up the scanner, will I really
have to go into the BIOS every time I plug the damn thing in? I'll do some
more experiments...

        Simon

Post by Michael Buchenriede » Fri, 16 May 2003 21:51:36

>> Are you using a internal 50 pin flat ribbon cable and a external HD 50 pin
>> cable.  The Adaptec series cards DO not like this arrangement.  You can
>> find out if this is your problem if you just remove the external cable and
>> than reboot your box. If it boots properly than you know that this is the
>> cause of your problem.
>Yes, The CDs are on the internal cable and the scanner on a HD50 to
>Centronics cable. Are you sure this is an unsupported configuration?

Don't worry. This is a perfectly valid setup (be aware of the total
cable length, though).

Quote:>I know
>the early 2940s would not handle use of the internal 50way, 68way and
>external connector simultaneously.

Of course not. This would be in violation of the SCSI specs; a correct
chain consists out of two defined endpoints with a straight-through
cable connection. A "star" setup like the one described is invalid
on a single SCSI bus, and can only be used on more expensive SCSI
cards that do offer 2 (or more) separate SCSI chains (AHA3940 IIRC)
(basically a card that implements two separate controllers).

Michael

Post by Michael Buchenriede » Fri, 16 May 2003 21:56:33

>> This setup works just fine - you just have to adjust the controller's
>> termination settings manually, as the automatic feature doesn't work.
>Ah, that's interesting. It will be a pain if the auto setting doesn't do
>what it says on the tin.

AFAICT, this feature works only under Windows, and even then it doesn't
always guess correctly what the setting should be.

Quote:>I don't always power up the scanner, will I really
>have to go into the BIOS every time I plug the damn thing in? I'll do some
>more experiments...

The scanner doesn't have to be powered on, as long as the termination on
the card has been disabled, and you're using an external terminator.
Be aware that all standard SCSI scanners do _not_ properly support
termination out of the box. Typically, you'll have to add an external
(preferrably active) terminator onto the scanner's secondary interface
to get it working correctly. That's one of the reasons why it is usually
suggested to put the scanner onto a cheap SCSI card of its own, instead
of connecting it to the main system's SCSI bus.

Michael

Post by Simon J. Row » Sat, 17 May 2003 05:49:50

> The scanner doesn't have to be powered on, as long as the termination on
> the card has been disabled, and you're using an external terminator.

Ah, that sounds good.

Quote:> Be aware that all standard SCSI scanners do _not_ properly support
> termination out of the box. Typically, you'll have to add an external
> (preferrably active) terminator onto the scanner's secondary interface
> to get it working correctly.

Yes, I have a passive terminator on the DB25 connector of the scanner.

The latest in this saga is as follows: if I substitute the Plextor for a
Toshiba everything works fine under Linux but the Toshiba refuses to do DAE
under Windows.

        Simon

Post by Simon J. Row » Sun, 18 May 2003 22:59:50

> The scanner doesn't have to be powered on, as long as the termination on
> the card has been disabled, and you're using an external terminator.

Rather confusingly the only way I can get everything to work is by setting
termination ON.

        Simon

1. Terminfo (vi HATE HATE! :-)

Hello! I installed Redhat 5.0 recently, and it's the first time I've used
Linux. I wonder if someone could help me with a few problems:

1) I want to stop that horrible PC-speaker beep from my terminal. Is there
a way to do this by editing the termcap/terminfo files? The man pages on
terminfo seem to suggest a text file, but the actual terminfo entries are
binary. Using the visible bell as an alternative would be nicer.

2) I want to actually get some use from most of my keyboard, i.e. keys
like HOME, DELETE, INSERT, and the numeric keypad. Again, should I edit
terminfo to do this? Sometimes keys which work normally won't work under
xterm (e.g. I can't use PGUP/PGDN in vi). Can someone tell me why?

3) Is there a (GNU, freeware, shareware) Wordprocessor available for
Linux? I can't find software anywhere (other than what came on the CD).

4) If I use the package manager to install something (in this case, the
xzx Spectrum emulator) it appears in a folder called 'none'. How can I
move it to a different folder?

5) Is there a window manager like fvwm95, but which gives the appearance
of Amiga Workbench rather than (yuk) Windows '95? I appreciate this
configuration is very clever, but I kind of installed Linux to get away
from Microsoft...:-)

6) Could someone please tell me why 'powerful' and 'user-friendly' seem to
be so incompatible? Microsoft stuff may be nasty and buggy and extremely
unethical, but at least you don't find yourself wasting hours of your time
trying to figure out what's going on. Is it really necessary for editors
like emacs and vi to use such impossible key combinations? Just to
illustrate: in the emacs documentation it says something to the effect
that using CTRL+f, CTRL+b etc. etc. is preferable to the arrow keys. Why?
Or why do I have to press CTRL-C CTRL-X to quit when using Microsoft edit
I can just use CTRL-X? Why do I have to press escape so often and get
beeped at? I don't like Microsoft any more than most people, but I think
they might have something here. :-o

  I feel the creators of these programs are criticising me just because I
don't have hours to spare discovering billions of esoteric features. Of
course these people are experts, and I'm extremely grateful for their work
on something which still makes Windows look very very shabby. But aren't
they unnecessarily alienating people like this? Power is valuable, but so
is comfort and ease of use.

***************************

***************************

2. SLS 1.04 SoundBlaster CD problem

3. i hate it i hate it it is pissing me off

4. WWW Server for SCO

5. BM hates Linux, LILO hates OS/2

6. More Modem Problems

7. ASUS P5P800SE & P5P800

8. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

9. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

10. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

11. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

12. x86, motherboard and SCSI hate each other