Linux on AMD K6-2/400?

Post by Lee Shar » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

|Out of desperation for more speed for M$ NT 4.0, I went to my local
|bargain geek-shop and bought a Gigabyte motherboard along with AMD K6-
|2/400 chip.  This is the first time I've bought a non-Intel MB, but
|everyone told me I'd have no probs.

  I have done the same <With different motherboards, but many different
motherboards> and it has worked well.

|But, I must get BSOD's in NT at least once a day.  And it's stuff that
|specifically mentions the processor.. One of its favorites is complaining
|something about AMD EXCEPTION IRQ1 is LESS_OR_EQUAL .. Not quite sure
|exactly what it means, but it happens all the time.  Other bizarre
|behavior as well.. StarCraft doesn't want to run smoothly, for some
|reason.. Can't figure out if its the vid card to blame on this one, tho
|(Voodoo3/2000)..

   This is not normal.  The first thing I would do, is re-apply the service
packs, and any patches from AMD or Gigabyte.  I would run a chkdsk on the
hard drive if it continued.  Check the temperature.  Does it seem unusually
hot in the case?  If all else fails, wipe out and reinstall NT.  Apply all
of the patches from AMD and Gigabyte that may apply.  Still fails?  Try a
different motherboard.

|Anyway, these BSOD's are going to really get on my nerves. I canst stands
|no flakey system!

   I don't blame you!  You shouldn't have to.

|I bought this AMD chip because so many people swore that it was a good
|bet.  The Gigabyte MB, I was also told, was a great MB..  Trying to make
|my anti-monopoly statement and save a few bucks at the same time.  I
|guess I got what I paid for!

   Everyone has a bad run on occasions,  even Intel. :-)  This also may be a
bad hard drive, or just a bad install...  Don't throw out the baby with the
bathwater.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

Linux on AMD K6-2/400?

Post by Phillip Deack » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>And now, for the Linux part of this post--  Has anyone had a similar
>experience with AMD chips -- that Windoze would bomb or act bad
>specifically for reasons tied to the AMD chip -- and replace Windoze with
>Linux and experienced 100% hardware-reliable performance?

>I bought this AMD chip because so many people swore that it was a good
>bet.  The Gigabyte MB, I was also told, was a great MB..  Trying to make
>my anti-monopoly statement and save a few bucks at the same time.  I
>guess I got what I paid for!

I have a Gigabyte MB too, the one with the SiS chipset (5SG100). I have
am AMD K6II 350 CPU which I overclock to 400 MHz.

I have had this hardware for some time now and, like you, have found
Linux to be absolutely rock solid.

Windows 95 certainly has problems with some AMD CPUs, particularly the
K6 II 350 MHz - AMD has some fixes on its web side. Windows 98 is not
affected. I have also run NT4, but have never fount NT to be anywhere
near as stable as Linux. Windows 98 works fine for me on the rare
occasions I need to use it. 95 was a royal pain.

It was interesting when I upgraded my machine with the new MB and CPU. I
had a dual boot system with NT4 and Debian Linux at the time. After
upgrading, I booted up and Linux ran as sweetly as ever. NT wouldn't
even boot, and went straight to the Blue Screen of Death. I had to
reinstall it.

Just a thought, you are using 100 MHz memory SIMMs, aren't you? Not the
older, slower ones?

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)

Linux on AMD K6-2/400?

Post by Matt Muellerleil » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

"K. Eggleston" wrote at comp.os.linux.hardware:

Quote:

> Out of desperation for more speed for M$ NT 4.0, I went to my local
> bargain geek-shop and bought a Gigabyte motherboard along with AMD K6-
> 2/400 chip.  This is the first time I've bought a non-Intel MB, but
> everyone told me I'd have no probs.

Guess they never heard about the aladdin 5/amd/good-graphics-card
problem that seems to happen so often (see below).

Quote:> But, I must get BSOD's in NT at least once a day.  And it's stuff that
> specifically mentions the processor.. One of its favorites is complaining
> something about AMD EXCEPTION IRQ1 is LESS_OR_EQUAL .. Not quite sure
> exactly what it means, but it happens all the time.  Other bizarre
> behavior as well.. StarCraft doesn't want to run smoothly, for some
> reason.. Can't figure out if its the vid card to blame on this one, tho
> (Voodoo3/2000)..

Maybe I should try to run NT to try to get some better error messages.
My favorite was on a DirectX install:  "Error -14" with an "OK" button.
<sarcasm>Oh, error -14, sure, I know EXACTLY what to fix.</sarcasm>

Quote:> Anyway, these BSOD's are going to really get on my nerves. I canst stands
> no flakey system!

> And now, for the Linux part of this post--  Has anyone had a similar
> experience with AMD chips -- that Windoze would bomb or act bad
> specifically for reasons tied to the AMD chip -- and replace Windoze with
> Linux and experienced 100% hardware-reliable performance?

Yes, but I think it's the ALi/Aladdin 5 chipset, based on what I've heard
and trying to troubleshoot my problems, especially video problems on the
machine (only in windows98, not in linux, linux has been fine).

Quote:> I bought this AMD chip because so many people swore that it was a good
> bet.  The Gigabyte MB, I was also told, was a great MB..  Trying to make
> my anti-monopoly statement and save a few bucks at the same time.  I
> guess I got what I paid for!

A lot of people have told me that ALi chipset motherboards with AMD cpus
and some graphics crads is a recipe for disaster... I've got a k6-3 400 on
a freetech p5f103 ALi (Aladdin 5) motherboard, and I've tried win98 with
two different voodoo3s, 3000 AGP and 2000 PCI, and still can't get rid of
the video problems.  EverQuest is plagued with problems, haven't tried
StarCraft, have had some minor problems with X-Wing Alliance, too.

Of course linux runs fine.

Think I'm going to have to go with an EPoX motherborad (EP-MVP3G2 or MVP3G5)
eventually, because every time I've heard the story that suonds like mine,
when someone replaced the motherboard and either didn't use ALi or used an
ALi board that was known to work well, their problems went away.  It's too
bad I didn't really hear about all these problems before ordering the
computer, but oh well.

The odd thing is, Gigabyte is on the AMD approved list, so you'd think
it'd work, but maybe AMD doesn't test them with nice video cards or
something.

Cheers for trying to make an anti-monopoly statement. :)

--
Matt Muellerleile
.sig .schmig

Linux on AMD K6-2/400?

Post by Glen Parke » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have three asus P5A boards (ALI V chipsets):
  K62-400, Voodoo3 2000, Win98 - runs just as stable as you'd expect, as
well as on the old Pentium/S3.
  K62-350, S3 Virge, WinNT4.0 - seems OK, crashes less than once a week
(normal for winnt in my experience)
  K62-400, S3, Linux 2.0.37 - rock solid.  Also solid with 2.0.36.

Quote:> Out of desperation for more speed for M$ NT 4.0, I went to my local
> bargain geek-shop and bought a Gigabyte motherboard along with AMD K6-
> 2/400 chip.  This is the first time I've bought a non-Intel MB, but
> everyone told me I'd have no probs.

> But, I must get BSOD's in NT at least once a day.  And it's stuff that
> specifically mentions the processor.. One of its favorites is complaining
> something about AMD EXCEPTION IRQ1 is LESS_OR_EQUAL .. Not quite sure
> exactly what it means, but it happens all the time.  Other bizarre
> behavior as well.. StarCraft doesn't want to run smoothly, for some
> reason.. Can't figure out if its the vid card to blame on this one, tho
> (Voodoo3/2000)..

Under Win98/Voodoo3 with the drivers that shipped with the card, I had lots
of problems - QuakeIII locked up all the time, random crashes, not good.
The latest drivers from 3DFX fixed me right up.  Win98 has never been more
stable for me.  I would guess the NT drivers are also buggy.  Make sure you
have the latest.  This is 3DFX's first run at making their own boards, so
I'm not too surprised to see a problem or two...

Quote:> Anyway, these BSOD's are going to really get on my nerves. I canst stands
> no flakey system!

> And now, for the Linux part of this post--  Has anyone had a similar
> experience with AMD chips -- that Windoze would bomb or act bad
> specifically for reasons tied to the AMD chip -- and replace Windoze with
> Linux and experienced 100% hardware-reliable performance?

> I bought this AMD chip because so many people swore that it was a good
> bet.  The Gigabyte MB, I was also told, was a great MB..  Trying to make
> my anti-monopoly statement and save a few bucks at the same time.  I
> guess I got what I paid for!

Nah, I'm never going back to Intel until the prices come back out of the
stratosphere.  I've been *vary* happy with my Asus/AMD's !!!  They're dirt
cheap, almost as fast, and I've had no problems.

Glen

Linux on AMD K6-2/400?

Post by Russell E. Smit » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I switched from NT to Linux for reasons other than conflicts with my K6-2. I
switched because the OS is just not as stable as Linux, regardless. I've
been running a small file server on my families LAN and have not had a
reboot in 2 months going. If thats not stability, I don't know what is.

Cheers,
--
Russell E. Smith

Get all your hardware news at http://www.alereon.org
"I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck"

                                                   -- Eric S. Raymond

Quote:> Out of desperation for more speed for M$ NT 4.0, I went to my local
> bargain geek-shop and bought a Gigabyte motherboard along with AMD K6-
> 2/400 chip.  This is the first time I've bought a non-Intel MB, but
> everyone told me I'd have no probs.

> But, I must get BSOD's in NT at least once a day.  And it's stuff that
> specifically mentions the processor.. One of its favorites is complaining
> something about AMD EXCEPTION IRQ1 is LESS_OR_EQUAL .. Not quite sure
> exactly what it means, but it happens all the time.  Other bizarre
> behavior as well.. StarCraft doesn't want to run smoothly, for some
> reason.. Can't figure out if its the vid card to blame on this one, tho
> (Voodoo3/2000)..

> Anyway, these BSOD's are going to really get on my nerves. I canst stands
> no flakey system!

> And now, for the Linux part of this post--  Has anyone had a similar
> experience with AMD chips -- that Windoze would bomb or act bad
> specifically for reasons tied to the AMD chip -- and replace Windoze with
> Linux and experienced 100% hardware-reliable performance?

> I bought this AMD chip because so many people swore that it was a good
> bet.  The Gigabyte MB, I was also told, was a great MB..  Trying to make
> my anti-monopoly statement and save a few bucks at the same time.  I
> guess I got what I paid for!

Linux on AMD K6-2/400?

Post by code3-.. » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Try the FIC PA-2013 MB also, that is what I am running with a K6-2 450
and have had absolutely no probs under NT 4 Server, 98, or RedHat 5.2.

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:35:53 -0500, Matt Muellerleile

> [...]

>the video problems.  EverQuest is plagued with problems, haven't tried
>StarCraft, have had some minor problems with X-Wing Alliance, too.

>Of course linux runs fine.

>Think I'm going to have to go with an EPoX motherborad (EP-MVP3G2 or MVP3G5)
>eventually, because every time I've heard the story that suonds like mine,
>when someone replaced the motherboard and either didn't use ALi or used an
>ALi board that was known to work well, their problems went away.  It's too
>bad I didn't really hear about all these problems before ordering the
>computer, but oh well.

>The odd thing is, Gigabyte is on the AMD approved list, so you'd think
>it'd work, but maybe AMD doesn't test them with nice video cards or
>something.

>Cheers for trying to make an anti-monopoly statement. :)

Post by Graeme Geldenhuy » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>been running a small file server on my families LAN and have not had a
>reboot in 2 months going. If thats not stability, I don't know what is.

We are running a Linux as a mail server with other 200 users.  We currently
have a uptime of over 500 days..

Talk about stable...  :-)

Linux on AMD K6-2/400?

Post by Jon Richardso » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've come to the conclusion that no Microsoft operating system works well
and 100% reliably (or as close as) on any other non-intel chips. I've been
trying various different chips over some years now and just can't get the
realibility that you can from intel chips. There were rumours that 'loops'
and other such nasties were written into NT to stop it working so well with
cyrix, amd (etc) chips but I guess we'll never know..

However, in my office I have three K6 machines, one running Novell Netware,
the other two Turbo Linux and Red Hat v6 boxes. Both Linux boxes have been
running since they were built (whenever v6 was released) and no complaints
at all.. I seem to remember someone saying that a lot of the code is
optomised for AMD/Cyrix chips - perhaps I ought to build an Intel machine
and compare them...

My experience shows Intel for Windows, and anything else for Linux..
perfect!

Jon..

>hey I'm using an amd 400 3dnow with a asus p5a m/b, i run windows 98,
>and redhat linux 6.0 no problems at all (except sound in linux with my
>isa pnp card dammit)

>snip

>> Out of desperation for more speed for M$ NT 4.0, I went to my local
>> bargain geek-shop and bought a Gigabyte motherboard along with AMD K6-
>> 2/400 chip.  This is the first time I've bought a non-Intel MB, but
>> everyone told me I'd have no probs.

1. RC5-64 and AMD K6-2 400

Anybody know what the RC5-64 keyrate is for an AMD K6-2 400Mhz is?

--
clear skies,            |http://www.erols.com/jringer3/astro1.htm
Joe                     |
                        |Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are
                        |made stupid by education. --Bertrand Russell

2. How to install KDE on RH8?

3. AMD K6-2/400

4. Linux hates my Video Card?

5. Upgraded from Intel Pentium 200MMX to AMD K6-2 400 3dNOW (Problems)

6. Non-Anonymous FTP server how to limit user to only seing his own home dir. and subdirs. How?

7. Celeron A366 vs. AMD K6-2 400

8. DCI standard under Linux ?

9. AMD K6 III 400 problems with Linux

10. FA: AMD K6 400 Linux System Complete

11. Problems with an AMD K6-III 400 Mhz processor and Linux

12. Any advantages running AMD K6 vs. AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!

13. AMD K6-400, MX59pro and RedHat 6.0