Via Epia question and MythTV

Post by Krimgela » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:58:36

Hello,

My next project is gonna be to build a mini PC using a Via Epia motherboard.
It will be used as a versatile multimedia player (MP3, DVD, DivX, ...).
However, I would also like to use this system as a recorder of live TV
shows and analogue video from a camcorder (no video editing will be done,
just recording). I know that the Via Epia motherboards have a 1G processor
which is reported not to be sufficient for encoding MPEG2 data, but what if
I add a Hauppauge 350 PVR card? Wouldn't that be the perfect hardware for a
MythTV HTPC? It would be small, silent  and relatively cheap. But would it
be sufficient for what it is build for?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:24:52

> Hello,

> My next project is gonna be to build a mini PC using a Via Epia motherboard.
> It will be used as a versatile multimedia player (MP3, DVD, DivX, ...).
> However, I would also like to use this system as a recorder of live TV
> shows and analogue video from a camcorder (no video editing will be done,
> just recording). I know that the Via Epia motherboards have a 1G processor
> which is reported not to be sufficient for encoding MPEG2 data, but what if
> I add a Hauppauge 350 PVR card? Wouldn't that be the perfect hardware for a
> MythTV HTPC? It would be small, silent  and relatively cheap. But would it
> be sufficient for what it is build for?

It should suffice.  The WinTV-350 card has *hardware* MPEG-2 encoding,
meaning that the work of encoding the video stream is done *on the card*
and not on the CPU.  So it shouldn't matter whether or not the CPU is
fast enough to do the encoding, because it's not going to be done on the
CPU.

BTW, the Hauppage specs recommend a minimum of a 733MHz P-III which is
in roughly the same ballpark, performance-wise, as your proposed Epia
system.

Post by Krimgela » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:09:17

>> Hello,

>> My next project is gonna be to build a mini PC using a Via Epia
>> motherboard. It will be used as a versatile multimedia player (MP3, DVD,
>> DivX, ...). However, I would also like to use this system as a recorder
>> of live TV shows and analogue video from a camcorder (no video editing
>> will be done, just recording). I know that the Via Epia motherboards have
>> a 1G processor which is reported not to be sufficient for encoding MPEG2
>> data, but what if I add a Hauppauge 350 PVR card? Wouldn't that be the
>> perfect hardware for a
>> MythTV HTPC? It would be small, silent  and relatively cheap. But would
>> it be sufficient for what it is build for?

> It should suffice.  The WinTV-350 card has *hardware* MPEG-2 encoding,
> meaning that the work of encoding the video stream is done *on the card*
> and not on the CPU.  So it shouldn't matter whether or not the CPU is
> fast enough to do the encoding, because it's not going to be done on the
> CPU.

> BTW, the Hauppage specs recommend a minimum of a 733MHz P-III which is
> in roughly the same ballpark, performance-wise, as your proposed Epia
> system.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, but wanted to be sure before I start
buying stuff. They also say the same on http://www.byopvr.com. My system is
gonna look like this:

Case SilverStone LC11M
MB Via Epia SP13000
PVR Hauppauge 350
HD Maxtor 80GB
Mem Corsair 256MB PC2700

I hope the system will be quiet enough.

Post by ray » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:24:25

>>> Hello,

>>> My next project is gonna be to build a mini PC using a Via Epia
>>> motherboard. It will be used as a versatile multimedia player (MP3, DVD,
>>> DivX, ...). However, I would also like to use this system as a recorder
>>> of live TV shows and analogue video from a camcorder (no video editing
>>> will be done, just recording). I know that the Via Epia motherboards have
>>> a 1G processor which is reported not to be sufficient for encoding MPEG2
>>> data, but what if I add a Hauppauge 350 PVR card? Wouldn't that be the
>>> perfect hardware for a
>>> MythTV HTPC? It would be small, silent  and relatively cheap. But would
>>> it be sufficient for what it is build for?

>> It should suffice.  The WinTV-350 card has *hardware* MPEG-2 encoding,
>> meaning that the work of encoding the video stream is done *on the card*
>> and not on the CPU.  So it shouldn't matter whether or not the CPU is
>> fast enough to do the encoding, because it's not going to be done on the
>> CPU.

>> BTW, the Hauppage specs recommend a minimum of a 733MHz P-III which is
>> in roughly the same ballpark, performance-wise, as your proposed Epia
>> system.

> Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, but wanted to be sure before I start
> buying stuff. They also say the same on http://www.byopvr.com. My system is
> gonna look like this:

> Case SilverStone LC11M
> MB Via Epia SP13000
> PVR Hauppauge 350
> HD Maxtor 80GB
> Mem Corsair 256MB PC2700

> I hope the system will be quiet enough.

You might want to check in at the forums at viaarena.com before you get
too far along.

Post by James » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:45:55

> Hello,

> My next project is gonna be to build a mini PC using a Via Epia motherboard.
> It will be used as a versatile multimedia player (MP3, DVD, DivX, ...).
> However, I would also like to use this system as a recorder of live TV
> shows and analogue video from a camcorder (no video editing will be done,
> just recording). I know that the Via Epia motherboards have a 1G processor
> which is reported not to be sufficient for encoding MPEG2 data, but what if
> I add a Hauppauge 350 PVR card? Wouldn't that be the perfect hardware for a
> MythTV HTPC? It would be small, silent  and relatively cheap. But would it
> be sufficient for what it is build for?

> Thanks for any suggestions.

Also check out BYOPVR.com (build your own PVR), as there are several
discussions on this exact topic on there.

In addition, you can always look at mini-itx.com, as there are many custom
PVR's created with the EPIA MBOOs as the core of the system.

Post by Mud » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:12:37

>> Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, but wanted to be sure before I start
>> buying stuff. They also say the same on http://www.byopvr.com. My system is
>> gonna look like this:

>> Case SilverStone LC11M
>> MB Via Epia SP13000
>> PVR Hauppauge 350
>> HD Maxtor 80GB
>> Mem Corsair 256MB PC2700

>> I hope the system will be quiet enough.

> You might want to check in at the forums at viaarena.com before you get
> too far along.

I'd recommend more ram too.  At least 512MB and better to do 1GB.  I've
found ram on all modern OSes to be more important than a faster processor.

coldfire

1. Via epia slower with added nic

Hello,

I have a Via epia 5000 (mini-itx) that I want to use as a
router/fileserver. Unfortunately the performance get clearly
worse when I add the extra 3c905 to the pci slot.

With the extra nic I can barely transfer at 10Mbps speed
through the onboard via-rhine. Without the nic I get almost
full 100Mbps. I am connected to a 100Mbps switch.

Similarily with the extra nic hdparm gives a transfer rate
of 4MB/s, but without the extra nic i get 40MB/s to my hd.

While googling I saw a recommendation to get a more powerful
PSU, but I checked the voltage levels and they where exactly
the same with as without the extra nic.

Anyone seen anything like this? I use 2.4.21 compiled for C3
on debian woody. And the hd is a WD800JB.

--
Fredrik Jonson

2. Crashed system reboot

3. EPIA m10000 Via Eden micro system

4. PC Xserver keyboard problems with SCO ODT

5. VIA EPIA networking problems

6. PRINTING WITH NETSCAPE 1.22

7. Solaris 10 on VIA EPIA

8. delete key, ESCDELAY=large number

9. Linux Fedora Core2 and VIA EPIA CL10000 network problem

10. Different error messages while installing (VIA EPIA + RedHat)

11. lousy support for VIA EPIA-M

12. VIA EPIA problem