Halt hangs on APM motherboard

Post by Angus Marc » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have an ATX motherboard which is able to shut off on Windoze95 when
I shutdown, but Linux (RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.14) just hangs with a
"general protection fault".
        I read a solution somewhere, which suggests puting a "-h"
somewhere in the scrip /sbin/halt, but /sbin/halt isn't a script, it's
a binary. What should I be doing?
--
        Angus March
          VE2 UFP

http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/addr.html (very frivolous)

Post by Sandy Dunlo » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: I have an ATX motherboard which is able to shut off on Windoze95 when
: I shutdown, but Linux (RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.14) just hangs with a
: "general protection fault".
: I read a solution somewhere, which suggests puting a "-h"
: somewhere in the scrip /sbin/halt, but /sbin/halt isn't a script, it's
: a binary. What should I be doing?
: --

i have the same problem in RH 6.1. i've not yet seen a Linux
distribution that works. Ive also tried various ATX motherboards
including my latest Gigabyte GA-5AX.

--

-=sandy dunlop=-

http://jaavaaguru.cjb.net

Post by gus » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> : I have an ATX motherboard which is able to shut off on Windoze95 when
> : I shutdown, but Linux (RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.14) just hangs with a
> : "general protection fault".
> : I read a solution somewhere, which suggests puting a "-h"
> : somewhere in the scrip /sbin/halt, but /sbin/halt isn't a script, it's
> : a binary. What should I be doing?
> : --

> i have the same problem in RH 6.1. i've not yet seen a Linux
> distribution that works. Ive also tried various ATX motherboards
> including my latest Gigabyte GA-5AX.

> --

> -=sandy dunlop=-

> http://jaavaaguru.cjb.net

halt basically does an init 0 (change to run-level 0) (or is that 6, I
forget).

Regardless, in the /etc/rc.d directory you will find a script halt, or
something similar. In that file. modify the shutdown command to include
the -h flag.

Note, I am a SuSE user who only vaguely knows where Redhat puts things.

gus

Halt hangs on APM motherboard

Post by Angus Marc » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>halt basically does an init 0 (change to run-level 0) (or is that 6, I
>forget).

>Regardless, in the /etc/rc.d directory you will find a script halt, or
>something similar. In that file. modify the shutdown command to include
>the -h flag.

>Note, I am a SuSE user who only vaguely knows where Redhat puts things.

        Well, I'm afraid that it didn't work. I got to runlevel 3, I
think, wherein there were "no more process left", or something, and it
just hung. I had to do the 3 fingered salute to shutdown proper-like.

--
        Angus March
          VE2 UFP
Concordia University Amateur Radio

http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/addr.html (very frivolous)

1. Switching ATX-Board off with APM after halt

Your flatmate is lucky then - the APM spec is not "SMP safe".  I have
the exact same results as you on my Tyan S1668 with two PPro 150s,
btw.  I'm just going to turn off APM support altogether.

Later,
        Dale

--
+--------------------  finger for pgp public key  ---------------------+
| Dale E. Martin | University of Cincinnati Savant Research Laboratory |

2. Fatal X error: gdm stuck in restart loop - help??

3. apm problem halting system

4. Control characters in .plan

5. Verifying APM CPU slow/halt on laptops

6. Problem mounting DVD on Solaris 10 (x86)

7. APM: Halt crashes when trying to poweroff.

8. IDE interrupt overload?

9. APM and kernel 2.0.35 (trouble with power-off on halt)

10. New motherboard - power off on halt!

11. Problems with SMP and APM with Intels PR440FX motherboard

12. Eth0 Hangs on reboot/halt????

13. Hung Reboots & Halts