LMS/Philips 205 CDROM w/ 1.2.13 ELF?

Post by Mark S. Corni » Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello -

My dad was impressed enough with my Linux system to install it himself.
We've had no problems, except for his CD-ROM. He's got an LMS/Philips 205
single-speed drive, with the LMS/Philips 250 interface card. I got the
kernel patch to support this drive (patch version 0.4) and slapped it on
the 1.2.13 source patched for ELF (from Slackware 3.0). The patch
completed OK, but when we compiled the kernel we got errors - undefined
references to something or other. I've got a hunch it has something to do
with compiling for ELF vs. a.out, but I might be wrong.

Has anyone successfully compiled a 1.2.13 kernel in ELF with LMS/Philips
205+250 support? Please reply via e-mail - I'm on vacation and not reading
newsgroups regularly, but I do have ready access to my mailbox.

Thanks and Happy Whatever,

--mark

--
Mark Cornick                     | Disclaimer: Opinions expressed

http://falcon.jmu.edu/~cornicms/ | You couldn't pay me enough to
PGP public key upon request      | hold or express JMU's opinions.

1. Looking for a Philips LMS 206 (not 205) CD-ROM driver

I've just picked up a Philips LMS 206 double speed driver (Fry's was
selling them for $89).  After an afternoon of fun setting jumpers,
seating boards and savoring the joys of DOS once again, I managed to
get DOS to recognize the CD-ROM as the D: drive.

On the linux side, I upgraded to the 1.0 kernel (where do you find out
which patch level?) and folded in the patches for the lmscd driver.
When I boot this hybridized kernel, it hangs when trying to recognize
the CD-ROM.  Turning on debugging showed that lms_interrupt() was
getting called repeatedly (> 1000 times/sec) with the cd state == 0.
The 1.0 kernel without the CD-ROM driver works just fine.

While I may have made a mistake in applying the patches by hand, I
doubt that this is the problem --- mis-applying the patches would more
likely have caused build problems due to undefined device numbers and
such.

Could anyone either point me at a 206 driver or enough technical info
on the differences between the 205 and 206 to figure out how to patch
things up?

Unfortunately, I don't have a 205 handy, so I can't tell you whether
my mutant kernel will, in fact, drive a 205.  I suspect it would,
since the 205 driver is compatible with both pre and post 1.0.  In
other words, the only problems should be in getting it to build in the
first place.  I would be glad to beta (or alpha) test someone else's
attempt --- the 205 driver is nice and clean, it just doesn't seem to
recognize the 206.

Other cards in the system: IDE controller/IO, extra serial port,
SoundBlaster Pro, SVGA, internal modem.  I haven't tried rebooting
linux with all these pulled out, but I did have all but the IDE and
SVGA out while mucking with DOS.  Didn't seem to make a difference.
Also, I doubt it's an IRQ or IO address conflict, since DOS works (if
you call that working) and the driver is able to get the IRQ when it
requests it from the kernel.

Thanks
--
                                | Easily amused

                                |               Perpetually confused

2. What's happening to bento?

3. Linux driver for Philips/LMS 205 CD-ROM drive

4. SCSI cdrom player pauses when playing audio

5. Drivers for Philips LMS-205 CD-ROM-Drive?

6. Device Drivers for Linux

7. Linux 1.2.13 ELF not detecting SoundBlaster CDROM drive

8. Linksys Realplayer 8 / Linksys BEFSR41 Router settings?

9. LMS/Phillips CM-205 CDROM Support

10. strange problems 1.2.13 --> 2.0.0 --> 1.2.13

11. Kernel 1.2.13 and ELF Compilation

12. elf kernel 1.2.13

13. Linux 1.2.13 ELF Compile