video card dies during boot - sometimes!

video card dies during boot - sometimes!

Post by Gunnlaugur Thor Brie » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a weird problem in my boot process. In nine tries out of
ten, my screen goes blank during the boot. The system is still
running -- I can (blindly) log in and type reboot and it'll do it,
but there is no way to get anything on the screen other than
rebooting (starting X doesn't do it). It's as if my video card
simply shuts down and won't wake up till the system reboots. It
works fine under Win98. And when it does make it through the boot
(if I just keep trying), my system is fine, stable and nice, and
runs X (and GL in it) happily.

My distribution is Redhat 6.2. This started occurring just after
I installed Xfree86 4.0.1 and the nvidia drivers (the card is a
Leadtek Winfast Geforce 2 GTS), which means I patched the kernel
part of the nvidia driver into my (2.2.17) kernel, so I SHOULD
suspect that code of containing something awry -- but the blanking
always occurs exactly when the line for loading the ES1371 sound
driver module has made it onto the screen. That driver still works
fine after the boot.

Making things more annoying, the new contents of /var/log/boot.log
and /var/log/messages after a boot, are identical, whether or not
the blanking happened during that boot! So no clues there.

My next recourse is to start laboriously disabling parts of the
boot one by one to see when the problem goes away -- starting with
the ES1371 module -- but if anyone has a clue about this or finds
it familiar, I'd certainly like to hear about it!

Thanks a lot,

        - Gulli

---
Gunnlaugur Thor Briem