Sound card for music editing etc

Post by Markus Vuori » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:20:55

I'm building computer for my friend, and now I'm looking for sound card.
What card do you suggest; it should work well in Linux (probably Fedora
Core or Mandrake) and it should be usable for sound and music editing
(with at least audacity and muse). It doesn't need to be studio-grade
device, but better than soundchips integrated on motherboards.

Thanks for advice!

--
Markus

Post by Tone » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:46:26

> I'm building computer for my friend, and now I'm looking for sound card.
> What card do you suggest; it should work well in Linux (probably Fedora
> Core or Mandrake) and it should be usable for sound and music editing
> (with at least audacity and muse). It doesn't need to be studio-grade
> device, but better than soundchips integrated on motherboards.

> Thanks for advice!

> --
> Markus

I've been looking into this myself (haven't done anything yet).  It's
been a while since I looked into audio processing on Linux, and the
"ardour" package is newish and looks intriguing.

www.ardour.org/requirements.html, under Audio Interface, makes
suggestions about good sound cards for your purpose.

All I will add to his recommends is that the RME Hammerfal stuff is
expensive, the M-Audio cards seem to be priced mid-range, and Ensoniq
cards are commodity priced in my experience, i.e., I have a SoundBlaster
16 PCI that uses Ensoniq driver.

Best,

Toney

Post by Markus Vuori » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:16:01

> I've been looking into this myself (haven't done anything yet).  It's
> been a while since I looked into audio processing on Linux, and the
> "ardour" package is newish and looks intriguing.

> www.ardour.org/requirements.html, under Audio Interface, makes
> suggestions about good sound cards for your purpose.

M-Audio Delta series sounds interesting, but I'm building ~600EUR PC for
my friend, and cheapest M-Audio sound interface I found (available in
Finland) costs ~200EUR... Little bit too expensive.

Quote:> All I will add to his recommends is that the RME Hammerfal stuff is
> expensive, the M-Audio cards seem to be priced mid-range, and Ensoniq
> cards are commodity priced in my experience, i.e., I have a SoundBlaster
> 16 PCI that uses Ensoniq driver.

Yeah, Ensoniq-stuff definitely is not high-end stuff. Which worries me
most is that motherboard I'm going to install in that system has
6channel audio interface, which sounds quite promising - except Linux
has no support for it.

Maybe someone could recommend new socket-a motherboard (or rather
chipset) that has Linux-compatible well working sound interface chip.

--
Markus

Post by Clemens Ladisc » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:00:44

> Which worries me most is that motherboard I'm going to install in
> that system has 6channel audio interface, which sounds quite
> promising - except Linux has no support for it.

Any recent Linux supports the AC'97/HDA controllers of all current
motherboard chipsets.

Quote:> Maybe someone could recommend new socket-a motherboard (or rather
> chipset) that has Linux-compatible well working sound interface chip.

Avoid codecs from C-Media ("CMIxxxx") because those don't have a
hardware volume control which means the volume control must be
emulated in software.

HTH
Clemens

1. sound cards and music CDs

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:08:36 +0200, Bernard Debreil

Yes.  Take off the case and look inside, you'll notice that the CD-ROM has
a small 4-pin connecter that plugs into a cable which plugs into the
soundcard.  The CD-ROM pulls the PCM data off the audio CD and pipes it
directly to its own onboard DAC.  Then the data gets spit out the standard
computer speaker/headphone plug via a 4-pin connector on the soundcard.
This is why you can plug a set of headphones into any CD-ROM drive and
listen to audio CDs that way.

Weird.  Check the mixer settings and make sure the CD volume is cranked to
a decent level and not muted.  Also, try one of the many other CD players
out there just in case? ...  workman, kscd, gscd, workbone,
etcetera.  Make sure the player is pointing at the right device (often,
this is /dev/cdrom) and such.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

2. directory contain space

3. Recommend sound card for music recording?

4. problem with netscape v2.01b

5. Sound card and music CDs (RH 4.2)

6. HELP! Any good Adv. Solaris II books out there?

7. root can not edit /etc/hosts or /etc/profile, can not create directory

8. PPP Problem

9. root can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts or make directory

10. Any music editing software for linux?

11. Music Editing Software

12. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

13. Possible Faqs on Sound cards <I have read the Sound card How 2>