using zip disk on sparc5 and linux

Post by Jason Ti » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

I had been trying to get my ZIP drive to work with both the sparc5
at work as well as the Linux box.  Basically, I formatted
the ZIP disk at working using the sun "format" program
(so, it's a ufs filesystem; I used the default partition scheme).
On my home PC, I made sure that the kernel options for
BSD partition support and ufs filesystem support were in the kernel.

Nevertheless, I got some partition magic number error when I tried
to mount the ZIP disk at home- what gives?

Thanks for advicing in advance!

using zip disk on sparc5 and linux

Post by Byron A Je » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

-Hi!
-
-I had been trying to get my ZIP drive to work with both the sparc5
-at work as well as the Linux box.  Basically, I formatted
-the ZIP disk at working using the sun "format" program
-(so, it's a ufs filesystem; I used the default partition scheme).
-On my home PC, I made sure that the kernel options for
-BSD partition support and ufs filesystem support were in the kernel.
-
-Nevertheless, I got some partition magic number error when I tried
-to mount the ZIP disk at home- what gives?

I have no answer to you question.

However I'd like to point out that the only filesystem that is really sharable
is a plain old MSDOS filesystem.

Guranteed to work even with all its limitations...

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

Post by Jason Ti » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>-Hi!
>-
>-I had been trying to get my ZIP drive to work with both the sparc5
>-at work as well as the Linux box.  Basically, I formatted
>-the ZIP disk at working using the sun "format" program
>-(so, it's a ufs filesystem; I used the default partition scheme).
>-On my home PC, I made sure that the kernel options for
>-BSD partition support and ufs filesystem support were in the kernel.
>-
>-Nevertheless, I got some partition magic number error when I tried
>-to mount the ZIP disk at home- what gives?

The exact message from the partition check (I just stripped
part of the kernel messages from dmesg):

Partition Check:
sda:Dev 0800 Sun Disk Label: bad magic 0000
UNKNOWN paritition table
Thanks again for info/suggestions!

Actually, I got the ZIP drive to work under linux
for ext2 or msdos filesystem before... it's just the sun stuff
that's not:-(  I guess someone, at one point or the
other, be able to read ufs filesystems on linux (hence
the kernel support for sun parititions and ufs filesystems?
I also read the on-line notes when I did the make menuconfig).

My suspicion is that it has to deal with the way I did the
"format" on the sun.  Normally, I allocated the "backup" partition on
/dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s2 when I did the "format".  Then, I would
be able to "tar" to this partition.  At home, I did a "tar" on /dev/sda...
basically, using the zip drive as kinda "fast-tapedrive".  Of course,
it would be really nice if I can get the zip drive to act like a
real disk drive!:-)

Again, thanks for any advice/suggestions/success stories!

1. using zip disk on sparc5 and linux

-Hi!
-
[...]

2. Telnet-like application

3. Using HD with Linux ZIP Disk [Linux]

4. WatchDog Driver Updates

5. Lilo on a Zip disk OR how to make a Zip disk bootable

6. limiting the 'ps' command

7. Sun to Linux using Zip disks? Possible?

8. Drivers

9. Zip Drive on a Sparc5

10. Horrible painful system crash when using a certain Zip disk.

11. Q: Backups under FBSD using Zip disks

12. Formatting a ZIP disk for FAT using HP-UX

13. Installed ZIP but now all file names on my zip disk are in 8.3 DOS??????