help getting V3 2000 to work

Post by Kevin Conwa » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

The story so far:
1. I got a V3 2000 to breath some life into my Pentium 150, which I use
between windows (games) and linux (everything else)

*2. I've got an onboard PCI ATI rage card that I can't disable by jumpers
or bios.

3. The card is working great under windows. I downloaded the XF86 server
for linux, and tried to install it, but no go.

I downloaded the binary rpm from linux.3dfx.com - for the X
server. There is also a very large (>40 M) source rpm for a driver. Do I
also need to install that? I haven't yet because I'm working with a 56 k
connection, but I wanted to check because the XF86 FAQ states that you
can't (currently) run two video cards using XF86.

I wanted to check to see if anyone had similiar difficulties with the
install before I get caught in a myriad of "it could be this.. or
this... or this"

Thanks in advance

Kevin Conway
Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario

help getting V3 2000 to work

Post by Chris Ranki » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

> The story so far:
> 1. I got a V3 2000 to breath some life into my Pentium 150, which I use
> between windows (games) and linux (everything else)

> *2. I've got an onboard PCI ATI rage card that I can't disable by jumpers
> or bios.

> 3. The card is working great under windows.

Then your hardware is working fine, and the ATI Rage card is not a
problem.

If you're using the XFree86 3.3.6 distribution then you need the 3dfx.o
kernel module, the SVGA X server with the tdfx driver, and this device:

   0 crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     107,   0 Jan  8 23:38 /dev/3dfx

If you're using XFree86 4.0 then you need the tdfx.o kernel module,
Glide V3 with DRI, and the XFree86 X server with the tdfx driver. The
rest is configuration; there should be a lot of information on
www.deja.com in the comp.os.linux.x newsgroup.

Chris.

1. FreeBSD 2.1.5 + Gateway 2000 + Xfree86 v3.12 OR v3.2 crash host.

  Howdy,

  I have a strange problem with Xfree86 crashing a Gateway 2000. The
 Gateway and Mach64 are both brand new. Manufacture date of the video
 card is about 10 days before the release date of Xfree86 v3.2. When
 I start any of the servers( mono,vga,mach64 ) the screen blanks and a
 few seconds later the host goes thru the CMOS tests as if I had just
 turned on power.

  I figured I had an unsupported card so I installed a Jaton svga card
 I use at home with freebsd 2.1.5 and xfree86 3.12. Behaviour is now
 slightly different in that I get a few seconds of scrambled video
 before the machine dies...all servers I try crash the host.

  Both cards are PCI, Plug and Play is disabled. Any advice/ideas would
 be appreciated.

  thanks , tim

2. a prblem about SLS 1.01

3. Help Getting Gateway 2000 Mouse port mouse working w/ X

4. network analysis tools

5. getting canon bjc-2000 working NOT REDHAT

6. !!!please help memory probs

7. I need help with getting LinuxPPC 2000 onto my PPC Amiga

8. USB problem with RH7.3 and ALI chipset

9. 3dfx V3 2000 AGP

10. Danpex EN-2000 (NE-2000) clone is killing me... please help

11. HELP: Any way to get X working on a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI?

12. Mach 64 on Gateway 2000 P5-120 does not work help pleas.

13. Getting started with PPP on Gateway 2000 PC