Wanted - disk image to tape backup s/w

Post by Kenneth J. Hendricks » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Note: Followups are directed to comp.os.linux.hardware because the other
        operating systems aren't worth wasting disk space.  Flames will
        be sent to /dev/null.

Quote:>I'm thinking of buying a tape backup for my pc.

>The unit I'm looking at is the Colorado T1000 (now owned by HP).

I strongly recommend one of the Travan-3 tape drives, such as the
Iomega Ditto 3200 or the Conner CTT3200.  For only $100 more initially,
you get a tape drive capable of 1.6 GB/tape, rather than a mere
400 MB/tape.  This is really worth it.

Quote:>I supposed another route I might go is with a Zip drive

Tape will be far cheaper in the long run.

The Iomega Ditto 3200 works with ftape 2.03b in linux, if you have a
1 Mb/sec fast floppy controller.  These are the controllers that can
support a 2.88 MB floppy drive.  The Promise 2300+ is one example.
ftape does not yet support 2 Mb/sec controllers.  If you'll get me the
complete low-level documentation on the NEC i82078 controller chip I'll
upgrade ftape.

A note about Iomega:

I *STRONGLY* recommend against the purchase of any Iomega product.  I
have tried to obtain information from Iomega on the 3200 tape drive for
months, and they have ignored my requests.  I've sent these requests via
email, snail-mail, and phone.  Iomega customer service *sucks*.  SAVE
YOURSELF THE POSSIBLE FUTURE HASSLE IN CASE YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE
MANUFACTURER, AND GET THE CONNER 3200 TAPE DRIVE.

Iomega: As always, this post is Copyright (C) 1995 by Kenneth J.
        Hendrickson. You are forbidden from using any of this material
        in your advertising, storing any of this post, and/or
        reproducing any of this post, in whole or in part, in any
        medium.  You may obtain permission to use this copyrighted
        material by answering my questions and ceasing to ignore me.
        I'll also stop telling people how awful your customer service
        is if and when you shape up.

--

PGP Key Fingerprint    02 6A 4F DE DD 77 A1 8B   21 D9 81 EB ED C8 3A DC
We are upping our standards ... so up yours.     Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/5

Wanted - disk image to tape backup s/w

Post by Juergen Exn » Wed, 25 Oct 1995 04:00:00

->   I'm thinking of buying a tape backup for my pc.  While I know I can get
->   support for the filesystems my various operating systems use, I would
->   also like to be able to do a raw disk image backup/recovery.
->
->   I don't really care which OS I run it from but if I have a choice I
->   suppose my order of preference would be Linux, OS/2, Win95, Dos/Win.

A raw copy is trivial with linux. Just do a
"dd if=<partition-or-drive-to-be-backed-up> of=/dev/rmt0"
To restore just exchange "if" and "of".

->
->   The unit I'm looking at is the Colorado T1000 (now owned by HP).
->
->   I supposed another route I might go is with a Zip drive, but the same
->   question would still apply (i.e. can I do raw disk i/o and bypass the
->   various filesystems).

Use dd (an acronym for disk direct), more details in the man-page

Greetings jue

snail-mail: TU Berlin; Sekr. FR 5-13; Franklinstr. 28-29; 10587 Berlin
=-=-=-=-= "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that"  HAL 2000  =-=-=-=-=-=

1. Backup of stored images to tape

HELP!!

I have an imaging server (an HP9000, stores mostly tif image files and very little application software).  I use compression to back
up to DAT tape, but my images are already stored on disk compressed; therefore, they do not back up compressed.  My tape
drive should store 4-8 gig compressed (standard HP tape drive, HP-UX 9.04 operating system), but I can barely get 2.5 to one
tape.  Does anyone have any other solutions/know of any third party hardware/software or HP hardware/software that can help
me backup more images to less tape?

Any suggestions are appreciated....

2. SYSV ???

3. WANTED: Driver for Colorado Tape Backup

4. EtherExpress Pro 10+

5. system image backup: to disk?

6. xinit (error 2):

7. Tape backup suggestions wanted for home network

8. where to download linux?

9. Advice wanted: Tape Backup unit; additional hard-drive

10. Image backup of disk via DOS ?

11. Backup of raw disk image

12. Making disk image backup

13. image backup of harddisc & making a maintainance disc