Sound: PCI sound card problems...

Post by Alligato » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

    As a beginner with linux having lots of troubles. so far solved things
myself but stuck dead with soundcard :(((

using Linux Mandrake 6.0

I've got Aztech PCI 338-3D ...

    Ran redhat sndconfig but my card is not there. tried to set up
soundblaster from the list provided in there but no success.

    Now actually I've got 2 problems.
1) during the boot I'm getting failure messages when the system tries to
initialize soubdblaster.
    How do I remove those annoying failure mesasges? hod do I tell the
system that I don't have soundcard? where does the system store the current
soundcard info? I've tried to find the file that is referring to sb.o but
couldn't :((( what am I doing wrong?

2) Well, I still would love to have sound working :)))

    Is there a driver for this card? Couldn't find anything in ALISA &
honestly not quite sure how to install/use that thing :((( If no then what's
the choice? I mean what would be a good sound card to buy? ( like the one
that can be configured easily & there's a driver for it?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated ;))))

--
Have Fun,
Alligator

1. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

I actually got pretty far into this, but can't make a peep come out of the
speakers (I just had a horrible thought - speakers are plugged in and turned
on).

Got ALSA Drivers, utilities, and library files, did standard configure, make,
make install for each.
In a console window under KDE, did the following:
1. insmod soundcore - got nothing back, so I assume that worked.
2. ran the snddevices script - it happily reported making a ton of devices.
3. Edited my etc/modules.conf to the following

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

4. ran modprobe snd-card-es1938 - got nothing back, so I assume that worked as
well.

5. I tried a couple of the tools available under the "multimedia" option of the
KDE menu - none of them can access the output dev. I tried the chmod, still no
joy. When I run /utils/alsasound start, it reports that the driver is already
running. I postulate that may be so, but would like to confirm my hypothesis by
actually hearing something from the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

2. is there copyright on CURSES ?

3. Need sound driver RH5.2 using S3 sonicVibes PCI sound card

4. DOSEMU COMs related problem

5. Sound: Replace beep with other sound thru pc speaker/sound card?

6. Network User Account problem

7. Possible Faqs on Sound cards <I have read the Sound card How 2>

8. Booting Model 370 from FDDI

9. sound card problem(creative sound blaster live! value)

10. Sound Blaster SB 16 ISA sound card problems

11. Sound card problems - Sound Man Wave

12. how to get unixware v7 recognize pci modem and pci sound card??