Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Adam » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 05:24:14



I've got a laser printer hooked up to the only parallel port on my Linux
machine (Mandrake 8.2 if it matters). I'd like to use an HP Scanjet 3200C
scanner on it too; this scanner comes with a "special" parallel cable to
connect to the computer's port and has a parallel port on the back for the
printer.

I've looked at the SANE documentation and this scanner appears to be
supported. But before I hook it up I'd like to know if anyone else has done
this and if my printer will still work without any reconfiguration. Any
other tips or advice would be appreciated.

-- Adam

 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Hans-Jürgen Lang » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 22:10:33



> I've got a laser printer hooked up to the only parallel port on my Linux
> machine (Mandrake 8.2 if it matters). I'd like to use an HP Scanjet 3200C
> scanner on it too; this scanner comes with a "special" parallel cable to
> connect to the computer's port and has a parallel port on the back for the
> printer.

> I've looked at the SANE documentation and this scanner appears to be
> supported. But before I hook it up I'd like to know if anyone else has done
> this and if my printer will still work without any reconfiguration. Any
> other tips or advice would be appreciated.

I have such a configuration running. The printer does his work, but the
scanner not, event the sane documentation tells me it may!!! work.
I had no time in the last month an so I never tried to fix the problem.

Hans-Jrgen Lange

 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Adam » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:26:53




>> I've got a laser printer hooked up to the only parallel port on my Linux
>> machine (Mandrake 8.2 if it matters). I'd like to use an HP Scanjet 3200C
>> scanner on it too; this scanner comes with a "special" parallel cable to
>> connect to the computer's port and has a parallel port on the back for
>> the printer.

>> I've looked at the SANE documentation and this scanner appears to be
>> supported. But before I hook it up I'd like to know if anyone else has
>> done this and if my printer will still work without any reconfiguration.
>> Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

> I have such a configuration running. The printer does his work, but the
> scanner not, event the sane documentation tells me it may!!! work.
> I had no time in the last month an so I never tried to fix the problem.

I'm now in the same situation as you. The printer works, but the scanner
doesn't. "scanimage -L" produces nothing. Anyone have any ideas?
 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Hans-Jürgen Lang » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:35:57





>>>I've got a laser printer hooked up to the only parallel port on my Linux
>>>machine (Mandrake 8.2 if it matters). I'd like to use an HP Scanjet 3200C
>>>scanner on it too; this scanner comes with a "special" parallel cable to
>>>connect to the computer's port and has a parallel port on the back for
>>>the printer.

>>>I've looked at the SANE documentation and this scanner appears to be
>>>supported. But before I hook it up I'd like to know if anyone else has
>>>done this and if my printer will still work without any reconfiguration.
>>>Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

>>I have such a configuration running. The printer does his work, but the
>>scanner not, event the sane documentation tells me it may!!! work.
>>I had no time in the last month an so I never tried to fix the problem.

> I'm now in the same situation as you. The printer works, but the scanner
> doesn't. "scanimage -L" produces nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

The sane-backend has a tools directory. there you find a tool umax_pp.
This connects directly via the  parallel port to the scanner. There you
can see what actions the umax_pp driver would do to communication with
the scanner.
In my configuration I see that some expected answers from the scanner
are not what they are should and than the umax_pp driver gives up.
Sometimes it worked, mostly after reboot, once. A second trial leads to
the known problem.
 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Adam » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:54:06





>>> I've got a laser printer hooked up to the only parallel port on my Linux
>>> machine (Mandrake 8.2 if it matters). I'd like to use an HP Scanjet
>>> 3200C scanner on it too; this scanner comes with a "special" parallel
>>> cable to connect to the computer's port and has a parallel port on the
>>> back for the printer.
...
>> I have such a configuration running. The printer does his work, but the
>> scanner not, event the sane documentation tells me it may!!! work.
>> I had no time in the last month an so I never tried to fix the problem.

> I'm now in the same situation as you. The printer works, but the scanner
> doesn't. "scanimage -L" produces nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

I should also mention that I'm considering upgrading my OS. If anyone else
has had any success with this scanner and Mandrake 9.0 or any other Linux
or BSD distribution, I'd like to know -- it may affect my choice.

--
Thanks,
Adam

 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Adam » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:59:26



Quote:> The sane-backend has a tools directory. there you find a tool umax_pp.
> This connects directly via the  parallel port to the scanner. There you
> can see what actions the umax_pp driver would do to communication with
> the scanner.
> In my configuration I see that some expected answers from the scanner
> are not what they are should and than the umax_pp driver gives up.
> Sometimes it worked, mostly after reboot, once. A second trial leads to
> the known problem.

I haven't got the "tools" directory or the umax_pp executable:

/home/adam $ locate umax_pp | xargs file {}
{}:                                     can't stat `{}' (No such file or
directory).
/etc/sane.d/umax_pp.conf:               ASCII English text
/usr/share/man/man5/sane-umax_pp.5.bz2: bzip2 compressed data, block size =
900k
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-umax_pp.so.1.0.7: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel
80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-umax_pp.so.1:     symbolic link to
libsane-umax_pp.so.1.0.7
/home/adam $ locate sane | grep tools
/home/adam $

I have edited /etc/sane.d/umax_pp.conf as follows:

According to the Mandrake package-manager I have the following packages
installed:

libsane1, libsane1-devel, sane-backends, v.1.0.7-4mdk;
sane-frontends, 1.0.7-2mdk;
xsane, xsane-gimp, 0.84-6mdk.

The sane-backends package doesn't include any "tools". Are these packages
missing something?

I've also noticed that I don't have a /dev/parport, which is mentioned in
some of the documentation (e.g. http://umax1220p.sourceforge.net/use.html).

-- Adam

 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Hans-Jürgen Lang » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:43:45




>>The sane-backend has a tools directory. there you find a tool umax_pp.
>>This connects directly via the  parallel port to the scanner. There you
>>can see what actions the umax_pp driver would do to communication with
>>the scanner.
>>In my configuration I see that some expected answers from the scanner
>>are not what they are should and than the umax_pp driver gives up.
>>Sometimes it worked, mostly after reboot, once. A second trial leads to
>>the known problem.

> I haven't got the "tools" directory or the umax_pp executable:

> /home/adam $ locate umax_pp | xargs file {}
> {}:                                     can't stat `{}' (No such file or
> directory).
> /etc/sane.d/umax_pp.conf:               ASCII English text
> /usr/share/man/man5/sane-umax_pp.5.bz2: bzip2 compressed data, block size =
> 900k
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-umax_pp.so.1.0.7: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel
> 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-umax_pp.so.1:     symbolic link to
> libsane-umax_pp.so.1.0.7
> /home/adam $ locate sane | grep tools
> /home/adam $

> I have edited /etc/sane.d/umax_pp.conf as follows:

> According to the Mandrake package-manager I have the following packages
> installed:

> libsane1, libsane1-devel, sane-backends, v.1.0.7-4mdk;
> sane-frontends, 1.0.7-2mdk;
> xsane, xsane-gimp, 0.84-6mdk.

> The sane-backends package doesn't include any "tools". Are these packages
> missing something?

> I've also noticed that I don't have a /dev/parport, which is mentioned in
> some of the documentation (e.g. http://umax1220p.sourceforge.net/use.html).

> -- Adam

I used the source-code package and compiled it for my system. One
fortune of this is the possibility to decide on configuration time how
the parallel port is accessed.
The tools were build anyway on compiling the sane-backend.

Hans-Jrgen Lange

 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Adam » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:27:40



Quote:>> The sane-backends package doesn't include any "tools". Are these packages
>> missing something?

>> I've also noticed that I don't have a /dev/parport, which is mentioned in
>> some of the documentation (e.g.
>> http://umax1220p.sourceforge.net/use.html).

>> -- Adam

> I used the source-code package and compiled it for my system. One
> fortune of this is the possibility to decide on configuration time how
> the parallel port is accessed.
> The tools were build anyway on compiling the sane-backend.

OK, I've downloaded the tarballs sane-backends-1.0.9.tar.gz &
sane-frontends-1.0.9.tar.gz. Can I just install these over my existing
packages?

-- Adam

 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Hans-Jürgen Lang » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:01:54




>>>The sane-backends package doesn't include any "tools". Are these packages
>>>missing something?

>>>I've also noticed that I don't have a /dev/parport, which is mentioned in
>>>some of the documentation (e.g.
>>>http://umax1220p.sourceforge.net/use.html).

>>>-- Adam

>>I used the source-code package and compiled it for my system. One
>>fortune of this is the possibility to decide on configuration time how
>>the parallel port is accessed.
>>The tools were build anyway on compiling the sane-backend.

> OK, I've downloaded the tarballs sane-backends-1.0.9.tar.gz &
> sane-frontends-1.0.9.tar.gz. Can I just install these over my existing
> packages?

> -- Adam

Yes normaly it should be no problem. It's now over a year ago that I
tried to use the scanner. The installation consists of three steps
./configure;make;make install. The "make install" maybe does not update
softlinks to the new sane libraries if these links exists before to the
old sane-libs.

The second little problem may appear if your installed package resides
not in /usr/local. Per default the most packages which are created from
source get installed in /usr/local. Thus after installation of the new
sane-package the old one gets found in another path.

The tools directory is part of the sane-backend. For testing you need
not install the sane-backend package.

So. configure the sane-backend and do make. After this try the
tools/umax_pp to communicate with the scanner.

If any problems. I'am online only this day 20.12.2002 and maybe back on
30.12.2002. Don't wait for help between these days.

Hans-Jrgen Lange

 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Adam » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:44:09



Quote:>>>I used the source-code package and compiled it for my system. One
>>>fortune of this is the possibility to decide on configuration time how
>>>the parallel port is accessed.
>>>The tools were build anyway on compiling the sane-backend.

>> OK, I've downloaded the tarballs sane-backends-1.0.9.tar.gz &
>> sane-frontends-1.0.9.tar.gz. Can I just install these over my existing
>> packages?
> Yes normaly it should be no problem. It's now over a year ago that I
> tried to use the scanner. The installation consists of three steps
> ./configure;make;make install. The "make install" maybe does not update
> softlinks to the new sane libraries if these links exists before to the
> old sane-libs.

> The second little problem may appear if your installed package resides
> not in /usr/local. Per default the most packages which are created from
> source get installed in /usr/local. Thus after installation of the new
> sane-package the old one gets found in another path.

> The tools directory is part of the sane-backend. For testing you need
> not install the sane-backend package.

> So. configure the sane-backend and do make. After this try the
> tools/umax_pp to communicate with the scanner.

I'll use ./configure --prefix=/usr to override the installation path. Do
you know if I need to upgrade libsane?
 
 
 

Parallel HP 3200C scanner, with printer at the same time?

Post by Adam » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:46:21



Quote:>> Yes normaly it should be no problem. It's now over a year ago that I
>> tried to use the scanner. The installation consists of three steps
>> ./configure;make;make install. The "make install" maybe does not update
>> softlinks to the new sane libraries if these links exists before to the
>> old sane-libs.

>> The second little problem may appear if your installed package resides
>> not in /usr/local. Per default the most packages which are created from
>> source get installed in /usr/local. Thus after installation of the new
>> sane-package the old one gets found in another path.

>> The tools directory is part of the sane-backend. For testing you need
>> not install the sane-backend package.

>> So. configure the sane-backend and do make. After this try the
>> tools/umax_pp to communicate with the scanner.

> I'll use ./configure --prefix=/usr to override the installation path. Do
> you know if I need to upgrade libsane?

Actually the README says to remove old libraries so I think I'll do that
with the Mandrake package manager first.
 
 
 

1. HP-7570I CD-Writer+ and HP-3200C Flatbed Scanner

Hi,

I checked the CD-Writing HOWTO only found the support for an HP
CD-Writer 7500+ and am wondering if the HP-7570I CD-Writer+ is supporter
under Linux.  If so, how well is the support?  Will I be able to burn an
audio CD as well as dupplicate an iso9660 CD?

On the other hand, I will like to know if the HP-3200c flatbed scanner
is supported under Linux.  If so, what software do I need to run in oder
to use this HP-3200c scanner?

TIA.

--

PS. Remove "4m" from e-mail address to enable reply.

2. Cable Modem(How do I set up Linux so I can surf?)

3. HP Scanjet 3200c parallel - help

4. limit outgoing message on sendmail

5. Problem with Qlogic's target driver use package isp_dist

6. scanner hp 3200c

7. RedHat+lpd+netatalk print server

8. Any chances with parallel port scanner and GDI printers ?

9. HP Scanjet 5100c (Parallel Port) scanner...

10. HP ScanJet 5100C (new parallel port scanner) supported?

11. HP 4400c Parallel Scanner

12. printer, zip, and scanner on parallel?