InfoMagic CDROM Installation on Reveal 4X CDROm

InfoMagic CDROM Installation on Reveal 4X CDROm

Post by robert beav » Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I hate to ask this again, but I have more information, so thought it
would be okay...8)

I'm trying to install InfoMagic's Slackware 2.2, Kernel 1.2 Linux
distribution on CDROM.  I have a Reveal 4X CDROM on an IDE/TAPI
interface.  I created the boot diskettes as appropriate and boot, create
my partitions, and start the setup.  All goes well until it starts to
read from CDROM, I get an unexpected end of file and the following error
message on the console:

hdc: cdrom_read_from_buffer:    buffer botch (312575)
end_request: I/O error, drv 1600, sector 312575

I exited SETUP and changed to the mounted directory.  the files were
there as expected, but when I did a "cat" on a readme.lns and readme.dos
file, the file stopped and gave the above error message (different
sectors of course).  Because the sector's are changing, I don't think
it's the media, but I could be wrong.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks
Bob Beaver

Post by Dave Ro » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I hate to ask this again, but I have more information, so thought it
: would be okay...8)

: I'm trying to install InfoMagic's Slackware 2.2, Kernel 1.2 Linux
: distribution on CDROM.  I have a Reveal 4X CDROM on an IDE/TAPI
: interface.  I created the boot diskettes as appropriate and boot, create
: my partitions, and start the setup.  All goes well until it starts to
: read from CDROM, I get an unexpected end of file and the following error
: message on the console:

: hdc: cdrom_read_from_buffer:  buffer botch (312575)
: end_request: I/O error, drv 1600, sector 312575

        I have the same setup (Reveal 4x & Infomagic Slakcware).  What I was
forced to do was to free up some space on my DOS-dedicated hard drive and copy
the disk sets onto that drive.  Then, I chose 'install from hard drive', and
everything worked fine.  **EXCEPT** that I still can't install directly from
the CD-ROM (BTW: you need the idecd1 or idecd2 kernal from the Q disk set).
When I change to /cdrom and do an ls, I get the first five (or so)
directries.  Then, another ls gives me more, and finally a third ls gives me
ALL files and directories in the current directory.  I feel that this may be
related to my not being able to install off of the CDs.  Can anyone solve
THIS dilemma?

--

   d   d r  r    w w w  a a    t   s     o   o nn  n
   d  d  rrr     w w w  aaa    t     ss  o   o n nnn   A proud member of the

Post by Philip Burnes » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> I hate to ask this again, but I have more information, so thought it
> would be okay...8)

> I'm trying to install InfoMagic's Slackware 2.2, Kernel 1.2 Linux
> distribution on CDROM.  I have a Reveal 4X CDROM on an IDE/TAPI
> interface.  I created the boot diskettes as appropriate and boot, create
> my partitions, and start the setup.  All goes well until it starts to
> read from CDROM, I get an unexpected end of file and the following error
> message on the console:

> hdc: cdrom_read_from_buffer:       buffer botch (312575)
> end_request: I/O error, drv 1600, sector 312575

> I exited SETUP and changed to the mounted directory.  the files were
> there as expected, but when I did a "cat" on a readme.lns and readme.dos
> file, the file stopped and gave the above error message (different
> sectors of course).  Because the sector's are changing, I don't think
> it's the media, but I could be wrong.

> Any insight would be appreciated!

> Thanks
> Bob Beaver

See my message in the Goldstar CDROM 540 article.

--
Phil Burness ;                  Cuddington, Cheshire, England.
Perseverantia Vincit

Post by SNY.. » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

   I'm trying to install InfoMagic's Slackware 2.2, Kernel 1.2 Linux
   distribution on CDROM.  I have a Reveal 4X CDROM on an IDE/TAPI
   interface.  ...

   hdc: cdrom_read_from_buffer: buffer botch (312575)
   end_request: I/O error, drv 1600, sector 312575

This is fixed in 1.3.x.
You can probably also make it work by mounting with a block size of 2k
(but you won't be able to run binaries directly off the cdrom in that case).

sss

Post by Patrick J. McGuinne » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I hate to ask this again, but I have more information, so thought it
>would be okay...8)

>I'm trying to install InfoMagic's Slackware 2.2, Kernel 1.2 Linux
>distribution on CDROM.  I have a Reveal 4X CDROM on an IDE/TAPI
>interface.  I created the boot diskettes as appropriate and boot, create

I don't think I can help you with your own problem, since I don't
know about InfoMagic, but I do have similar hardware ...

I just got a Reveal 4X CD-ROM multimedia kit, and already have Linux on my
system.  My Linux version is 1.2.3, and the actual CD-ROM is a 4X Goldstar (OEM)
GCD540, hooked into the SC400 through the IDE connector on the sound board
(for what its worth).

I tried the "sbpcd" version of the Linux kernel, but even with auto-probing,
and an attempt to define the I/O port, it didn't work. FAQs etc. don't mention
Reveal, with the exception of someone who got a different type of CD (Sony).
So which version of the kernel should I be using?
Anybody else got this same hardware to work with Linux?

BTW, I called Reveal tech support to get specs and info to help configure
the (right) kernel, and they said they "didn't support Linux".
He said that they "didn't have the drivers" (!!), and were afraid they'd
"have to support it" (!!!).  I tried to explain how Linux is different,
that if only the hardware manual had actual specs people could probably
figure it out and set it up themselves, etc., to no avail.
The tech person told me to return the kit to the store (!!!!).
Who am I to argue with qualified tech support. :-)

Pat

InfoMagic CDROM Installation on Reveal 4X CDROm

Post by Mikael Nordqvi » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[ I removed col.help from Newsgroups: as it's obsolete ]

Quote:>[snip]
>I just got a Reveal 4X CD-ROM multimedia kit, and already have Linux on my
>system.  My Linux version is 1.2.3, and the actual CD-ROM is a 4X Goldstar (OEM)
>GCD540, hooked into the SC400 through the IDE connector on the sound board
>(for what its worth).

>I tried the "sbpcd" version of the Linux kernel, but even with auto-probing,
>and an attempt to define the I/O port, it didn't work. FAQs etc. don't mention
>Reveal, with the exception of someone who got a different type of CD (Sony).
>So which version of the kernel should I be using?
>Anybody else got this same hardware to work with Linux?

Your Goldstar is an ATAPI cdrom, and uses ide-cd.c. Configure your
kernel with IDE/ATAPI and it should work nicely. You will have to
mount CDs with blocksize=2048 if you are not using 1.3.x due to a
driver bug/feature of 1.2.x.

/Mikael
--

1. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

I just purchaced the Infomagic Developer's Resource Linux kit.  It came
with the Slackware 2.2 software (kernel 1.2).  The CDROM I have is on an
IDE/ATAPI interface.  When creating the boot and root floppies, I picked
the IDE/ATAPI kernel.  I boot and it recognizes the CDROM.  I create my
partitions (or rather recreate - I was using an old linux) and run
setup.  I choose IDE drive for the source and pick my packages.  It
starts to install (CD light flashes) and then errors out giving me a
unexpeced end of file for tar (the CDROM complains about a Buffer problem.)

Going out to root, I can see that the CDROM is mounted.  I can cd to the
directory and look around.  If I cat out a readme.lnx or readme.dos file
it will go so far then the buffer error.

Can anyone help?!!!!

Bob

2. Finding the uid and gid of a directory

3. InfoMagic CD install-Reveal 4X (Goldtar R540GD) IDE/TAPI CDROM

4. Patch 104055, 103600 and 103640

5. You don't have to throw you REVEAL 4x ATAPI CDROM away...

6. Intel EtherExpress16 performance problems.

7. Reveal 4X GCDR540 CDROM Driver?

8. running out of disk space

9. Reveal 4x CDROM Install

10. getting my Reveal 4x CDROM to work with Linux????

11. Installing InfoMagic's Linux with TEAC 4X CDROM

12. cdrom driver needed for hitache cdrom 4X please....

13. nec 260 4x cdrom-1.3.4x kernels