CD-Rewritable & Linux

Post by Dave Pla » Mon, 03 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Does CD-RWs work under Linux? Can I record ISO cds on CD-R and CD-RW
>media?

Some of the SCSI CR-RW drives (in particular, the Ricoh MP620xS) will
work under Linux, if you use the current alpha-test version of
cdrecord.  In general, a CD-R or CD-RW drive which complies with the
SCSI MMC-3 command set stands a fairly good chance of working.

You can record ISO CDs on CD-R and CD-RW media using this software
package.  You can also record Red Book audio CDs.  There's even some
primitive/experimental support for packet writing in the version
currently being developed.

There's work underway to support the IDE/ATAPI CD-RW drives that
comply with the MMC-3 command set.  At the moment, this requires both
the current alpha version of cdrecord, and a modest patch to the Linux
kernel... the stock kernel doesn't support all of the SCSI command
formats (e.g. 10-byte mode) over the ATAPI bus, and has far too short
a timeout to allow the CLOSE SESSION fixation command to run to
completion.  I've heard that with this patch in place, some of the
ATAPI CD-RW drives are working reliably.

Quote:>Im thinking about buying a HP CD-RW 7110e (external unit, plugs into the
>parallel port). Does any one knows if this unit can be used under Linux?

As far as I know, nobody has tried one of the parallel-port units, and
I doubt it will work.

mailing list for this stuff...

--
Dave Platt                                        Speaker-to-kernels

Visit the Jade Warrior home page:     http://iq.nc.com/jade-warrior/

1. HELP:CD-rewritable drive & Linux

Hi,
     Has anybody have any hand on experience with how well the Yamaha
EIDE CD - Rewritable drive
works with Linux (Redhat 5.0)? Or do I need a SCSI system to make it
work?

 Please reply / cc by e mail. My news server is usually late.
Thanks,

Alex Lam.

2. Problem playing mp3 audio files with XMMS - RH 7.1

3. ? CD-Rom Rewritable & Linux?

4. Backups

5. HP 7200e with CD-ReWritable as a backup system

6. BUG: 2.0.10 & bootp

7. CD-Rewritable Yamaha W4416 SCSI

8. Using multiple mice

9. CD-Rewritable doesn't

10. removable optical devices (MO,CD-Rewritable) - work?

11. Extrernal CD-ReWritable

12. yv tuner in linux and cd rewritable

13. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!