Fujitsu DYNAMO 64 mb and Linux

Post by Jonas Persso » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello.

Does this MO drive work well with Linux?
Also someone told me that MO is not like a harddisk. That its
almost like a backup-tape or CDR. On Fujitsu homepage it describes
these MO-drives as if they are used like harddisks.

What is true?

Fujitsu DYNAMO 64 mb and Linux

Post by Jonas Persso » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sorry.

I mean 640 mb.

/Jonas

Fujitsu DYNAMO 64 mb and Linux

Post by Dr H. T. Leu » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

It is the best peripheral I have invested in. It works mostly like a
hard-disc, except for one thing: the 2048byte/sector 640Mb disc is not
bootable (the 230Mb is bootable because it has the usual 512byte/sector,
although I haven't tried).

Speed-wise it is 2-4M/s, about equivalent to 15x to 30x cd-rom speed, so it is
much faster than CD-R (but probably doesn't have the "raw" speed of tapes), and
random access (better than tape), and fully rewritable (better than CD-R).

It works as a removable drive - like a giant floppy, really; except much faster,
much higher in capacity and the recording mechanism much more reliable
(the data integrity probably will out-last CD-R). I don't really want to give you
a lecture on why the Magneto-optical mechanism is more reliable than CD-R
(optical) or magnetic (tapes, floppies, hard discs).

I currently have my StarOffice installation on MO (I did a client/server
installation). So pop the MO in, mount it, and I can launch StarOffice 5.0
directly off it, keeping only about 2-4M of user stuff on hard disc. The Server
installation was 140-160M, probably will run faster if I put it on the hard disc,
but then I don't use StarOffice that often, and it is stupid to put 140M of stuff
in the hard disc that I only use once every two or three months. (am really a
emacs/latex/xfig man).

|> Hello.
|>
|> Does this MO drive work well with Linux?
|> Also someone told me that MO is not like a harddisk. That its
|> almost like a backup-tape or CDR. On Fujitsu homepage it describes
|> these MO-drives as if they are used like harddisks.
|>
|> What is true?

"What you don't care cannot hurt you."            Chap. 7a, AMS-NS