Parallel communications

Post by Alex Boleno » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 01:39:35

Hello!

I have a parallel POS printer (Posiflex PP 4000) attached to my Linux box.
For several reasons I don't want to use lpd for it, but write my own service
instead to communicate with it through /dev/lp0.

I installed the printer and typed

bash# echo Hello, world! > /dev/lp0

to check out how is it working.

But actual output was very strange: for each couple of the symbols the first
one was replaced by the second one. Instead of

Hello, world!

it typed

eell,,wwrrlldd

and performed two linefeeds instead of one.

That happened with every output I tried.

I checked out the same printer with the same cable on a Windows XP machine,
it worked just well.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Alex Bolenok.